PDA

View Full Version : is it dead?

TempestCustom
06-28-2009, 01:49 PM
hey, i bought a black mystery snail on friday.i put him in the tank and he was in the same spot all saturday then saturday night i moved him and he has been in that spot all day.when i took him out of the bag he was alive.he was stuck to it.is he dead or just scared or something? the temp is around 75 degrees and the ph is around 7.0.i bought him bc my convict makes a mess and doesnt let any one at the bottom to eat extra food so its messy

Sharon
06-28-2009, 02:36 PM
Take him out and smell him...trust me, you'll know if he's dead!!!:ssuprised:

jaysee
06-28-2009, 04:28 PM
The'll be like that sometimes, especially when they are first introduced. If you have two snails, you'll know when one dies because there will be an empty shell left behind.

I have one I've had for a ehile that I'm wondering about myself....

Wild Turkey
06-28-2009, 04:42 PM
Agree

I quote myself "Is my snail dead? He isn't moving.

Take him out and give him a sniff. Dead Apple snails will have a strong odor and begin to rot the aquarium and fowl the water almost immediately. If there is no smell, replace the snail. If the is not moving its a sign of stress and should be investigated.

If the apple snail is deemed dead, remove it and check any others that are not on the go. Checking for dead snails frequently is important, as one dead snail can rot and kill all the others before you realize he is dead otherwise."

But in the same article I cite the mystery as being a bad choice for a clean up crew. They need a proper diet or you will have problems later on, so you really cant leave them to just clean up after other species.

You can, but they end up like this: http://www.sydneycichlid.com/gallery/d/104-2/pomacea-bridgesii-apple Eventually the shell will fall apart. In fact, in this picture you can tell the from its shell snail went from poor conditions, to decent conditions, and then back to poor conditions.