PDA

View Full Version : Betta SPA

Sarkazmo
06-27-2009, 02:41 PM
I came across this product on Drs. Foster and Smith. It's called "Attison's Betta SPA (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=15464)" and it's made by Ocean Nutrition. I was wondering if any of you have used this product. It looks like it's got good ingredients that would give a tank a sorta black water look and function. Generally Drs. F&S don't carry junk but...

Any input appreciated.

Sark

Paw Broon
06-27-2009, 02:54 PM
http://www.atisonbetta.com/who.asp I thought it was her that made it, maybe ocean nutricien took over. Looks really good stuff but never tried it.

Ah names different just noticed that.

korith
06-27-2009, 05:13 PM
Back when I first got my first betta, I found this diy betta spa over on ultimatebettas.com . Seems to be a much cheaper solution than buying the small bottles of it. Basically just involves boiling indian almond leaves down. If you look up indian almond leaves you'll find many betta keepers and betta breeders use them, lots of beneficial properties in them.

thrakuarium
06-28-2009, 01:17 AM
I use it in the 3 betta tanks I have. It does not color the water at all. I had heard the almond leaf extract was good for them and so far they all seem very happy. Can't say it's a "gotta have it" item
but if the fish are happy then so am I.

Sarkazmo
06-28-2009, 10:44 AM
I use it in the 3 betta tanks I have. It does not color the water at all. I had heard the almond leaf extract was good for them and so far they all seem very happy. Can't say it's a "gotta have it" item
but if the fish are happy then so am I.

If you're using filtration that has carbon, this could account for the lack of coloration of the water.

I've been reading up on Indian Almond Leaves, which is one of the main ingredients in Betta SPA.

IAL are regarded as an almost magical leaf. They're anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, lower the PH of the water, release tannins to colour the water, and harden the scales of Bettas (as well as any other soft water loving fish.) The IAL are supposed to increase breeding, lower mortality rates of fry, help heal wounds that occur during mating. They're also supposed to increase aggressiveness of males so the wound healing properties are much needed and work well.

So I have to wonder if the prepared solution works as well as or better than straight up leaves.

Sark

korith
06-28-2009, 10:04 PM
If you're using filtration that has carbon, this could account for the lack of coloration of the water.

So I have to wonder if the prepared solution works as well as or better than straight up leaves.

Sark

The carbon probably taking care of some of the tannins.

I'm gonna guess the prepared solution is probably the same as leaves more or less. I've read about them on a few different forums and on some betta forums too. The only reason I can think of someone buying a prepared solution would be that it's ready made. Like many things having something ready made that we can buy in a pretty package is a nice quick solution, than having to make it your own.

The boiling of the leaves and making your own betta spa, is a bit of a smelly process I'm told. It's a lot more cost effective too, you can buy 50 leaves for about $5-10. Can always just put a whole or part of a leaf into the betta tank as well.

thrakuarium
06-28-2009, 11:35 PM
The betta spa product itself advertises on the packaging that it doesn't color the water. :ssmile:

Sarkazmo
06-29-2009, 03:00 AM
The betta spa product itself advertises on the packaging that it doesn't color the water. :ssmile:

Here's the info listed for the product on DrsF&S:

"Produced with natural ingredients, this water conditioner will create a healthier, more natural environment for your betta. Developed by renowned betta breeder Atison Phumchoosri, this easy-to-use conditioner contains wild almond leaf extract and more to soften water, encourage spawning, and promote coloration and activity. Simply open, squeeze, and pour. Contains calcium needed to activate the muscles and to develop strong bones, teeth, and scales. Also contains yucca extract, which will bind the ammonia in the water. Therefore, it is recommended to use Betta SPA for all fishes kept in small containers, especially during transportation. Colors the water via natural tannins, lignins, and fulvic acids and will make bubble nests stickier. "

That's why I'm cornfused! :P

Sark

thrakuarium
06-29-2009, 03:38 AM
well unless attison has 2 different versions..... I'm taking the info right off the actual package... but 2 types is possible :ssuprised:

Sarkazmo
06-29-2009, 04:36 AM
Here's the link: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=15464

You tell me. :)

Sark

thrakuarium
06-29-2009, 04:48 AM
Just looking at it, its a lot darker than what I have. So I gotta say its a slightly different version.

thrakuarium
06-30-2009, 10:51 AM
Just looking at it, its a lot darker than what I have. So I gotta say its a slightly different version.

http://ibcbettas.org/eshop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=518&zenid=jjffk3293fb6evll8giru9s173

thats the one I have thumbs2: