PDA

View Full Version : Detailed Fish Compatibility Chart: Part I - Fish type/Species

DrNic
06-27-2009, 03:59 AM
As people are well aware many of the common fish compatibility charts that are available online are either incorrect, incomplete and/or unclear. For some time now I've been thinking about putting together a more detailed compatibility chart. Since people here at the AC have experience with almost every fish type I can think of I thought maybe we could do it as a group activity. Ultimately I hope to put the chart up (maybe here) free for anyone to use.

Part I is coming up with a list fish to include in the chart. The more, the better! So that's your mission. In this thread list any and all fish types/species that you think should be included. If we miss any of the obvious ones I can add those in myself at the end.

Once a list is generated I'll format a large cart. Part II (which I will post as a different thread, or threads) will be to come up with the actual 'compatibility' of each combo on a scale of 1-5 (1 being a fight to the death, 5 being BFFs :hmm3grin2orange:)

So get to it! Start listing off the fish you'd like to see!! I'll leave this post until July 10th (2 weeks). At the end I will correlate all the names and post a final list before I make the chart.

Edit: Invertebrates will be included as well so add those shrimp and snail types too!!

jackson17
06-27-2009, 04:02 AM
Crayfish! I want one so bad but don't know what to keep with it lol, as for other fish, can't really think at the moment lol

DrNic
06-27-2009, 04:04 AM
To start off with:
Mollies
Platties
Bristlenose plecos
Standard Plecos
Angelfish
corries (feel free to list more species if needed)
neon tetras
rummynose tetras
emporer tetras
congo tetras
cardinal tetras
serpe tetras
fancy guppies
bettas
german blue rams
rainbow sharks
red tailed sharks
bala sharks
silver dollars
blue/yellow gouramis
dwarf flame gouramis
dwarf grouamis
flamingo gouramis
snakesking gouramis
featherfin catfish
upsidedown catfish
cherry barbs
tirger barbs

More to come later :hmm3grin2orange:

MonkeyPox
06-27-2009, 05:02 AM
I would make the list something like how online fish retailers group their purchases.

Family and then species under that. Then have folks fill in the holes.

wolf_eyes
06-27-2009, 07:13 AM
Peacock gudgeons
Ghost shrimp
amano shrimp
crystal shrimp
cherry red shrimp (shrimp species mainly for seeing if fish will eat them)
blue rams
cockatoo cichlid
rainbow cichlid
oscars
(several other species of cichlids)
goldfish (fancy/comet)
koi
dojo loach
yoyo loach
kulie loach
(several killie species)
pictus catfish
raphael catfish
skunk loach
silver dollar
thats all i can think of right now

jaysee
06-27-2009, 07:26 AM
I would make the list something like how online fish retailers group their purchases.

Family and then species under that. Then have folks fill in the holes.

In fact, I would take it a step further and make seperate posts for each of the families. Also, I would limit the text to ONLY the names of the species in list form, just like you (nic) and wolfeyes.

I think mixing familes like the two of you did makes this very worthy project very difficult and will jepordize it's success.

If it could be temporarily stickied that would make it 100 times easier......I assume the final product will be stickied....

DrNic
06-27-2009, 03:17 PM
For now I'm more than happy to just have people list all the fish they can. I can organize them all together later and fill in any gaps. I will keep a rolling list and post it every 3-4 days as needed as well.

I'm not an admin so I can't sticky this. :hmm3grin2orange:

wolf_eyes
06-27-2009, 07:24 PM
red tailed catfish
rice fish
Turquiose rainbowfish
Boeseman rainbowfish
dwarf rainbowfish
silver hatchet fish
twig catfish
endlers livebearer
black ghost knifefish
bichir

I think a good way to do this may be make a compatibly chart for sizes. like one for micros (shrimp and species under two inches), small (2-6), medium( 6-12) large(12-24) and so on. Numbers of course can be rearranged as i just kinda pulled them out of the air. That way if people had a certain tank size and were looking for fish to put in it, we could tell them to go look at the mirco to small compatiblity chart for ideas, just a thought :).

DrNic
06-28-2009, 02:57 AM
red tailed catfish
I think a good way to do this may be make a compatibly chart for sizes. like one for micros (shrimp and species under two inches), small (2-6), medium( 6-12) large(12-24) and so on. Numbers of course can be rearranged as i just kinda pulled them out of the air. That way if people had a certain tank size and were looking for fish to put in it, we could tell them to go look at the mirco to small compatiblity chart for ideas, just a thought :).

I like that general idea. I was planning on adding a column with a 'minimum tank size' for each fish. But that's still up in the air at the moment.

For now, just keep bringing on the names!!!:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

jackson17
06-28-2009, 03:00 AM
Do the minimum tank size, but make it for a HAPPY fish, not what liveaquaria has which is a able to live and not burst the glass size tank lol, and you might want to add level of filtration needed.

Like: Neons, enough for tank, Oscar, double the tank(messy eater) ect ect

mac
06-28-2009, 03:50 AM
Hey guys,

Just a idea. But with this chart. IMO I would set it up in a way really with first.
A list of fish, and minimum tank size, and filtration and school size.
Then do the compatibility with other fish.

That way you get less chance of confusion, for people.

Good luck,
mac

DrNic
06-28-2009, 05:02 AM
After a few replies, and raiding the AC species profiles, here is the list thus far. I think we could use more killifish, but other than that it's coming along nicely.

Barbs
Cherry Barb
Clown Barb
Red Dwarf Rasbora
Striped barb
Tiger Barb

Catfish/Bottom Dwellers
Albino Cory
Bearded Cory
Bristlenosed Catfish
Featherfin catfish
Glass Catfish
Leopard Cory
Otocinclus
Panda cory
Pictus catfish
Raphael catfish
Siamese Algae Eater
Twig catfish
Upside-down catfish

Cichlids
Butterfly Cichlid
Blue Convict Cichlid
Bolivian Ram
Cockatoo cichlid
Discus
Electric Yellow Lab
German Blue Ram
Green Severum
Green Terror
Jack Dempsey Cichlid
Oscar
Rainbow cichlid
Tricolor Cichlid

Gouramis
Dwarf Flame Gourami
Dwarf Gourami
Flamingo gouramis
Gold Gourami
Honey Gourami
Paradise Fish
Pearl Gourami
Snakesking gouramis

Killifish
Clown Killifish

Livebearers
Endlers livebearer
Fancy Guppy
Molly
Platy
Swordtail

Loachs
Clown Loach
Dojo loach
Dwarf Loach
Kulie loach
Queen Loach
Skunk loach
Yoyo loach
Zebra Loach

Rainbowfish
Boeseman rainbowfish
Dwarf rainbowfish
Turquiose rainbowfish

Tetra
Black Neon Tetra
Black Phantom Tetra
Blackskirt Tetra
Bleeding Heart Tetra
Bloodfin Tetra
Cardinal Tetra
Congo Tetra
Diamond Tetra
Emporer tetras
Flame Tetra
Glowlight Tetra
Neon Tetra
Rummy Nose Tetra
Serpae Tetra

Misc
Archerfish
Bala Shark
Banded Knife Fish
Betta
Bichir
Ghost Knife Fish
Giant Danio
Goldfish (fancy/comet)
Gray Bichir
Hatchetfish
Indian Glassfish
Koi Carp
Peacock gudgeons
Rainbow shark
Red-tailed Shark
Rice fish
Silver Dollar
Zebra Danio

Inverts
Amano shrimp
Cherry red shrimp
crayfish
Crystal shrimp
Ghost shrimp

jaysee
06-28-2009, 05:45 AM
panchax
dageti
korthausae
golden wonder
lampeye
flag fish
gardneri
gularis

DrNic
06-28-2009, 05:48 AM
panchax
dageti
korthausae
golden wonder
lampeye
flag fish
gardneri
gularis
Thanks! I'll add them to the list (which I will probably repost in a few more days)thumbs2:

jaysee
06-28-2009, 05:55 AM
threadfin
celebs
australian
ornate
axelrodi
irian
madagascan
red
banded
parkinsons
lake tebera
marci
blehers
mcculloch
checkered
forktail
gertrudae
furcata
signifer
yellow
millenium
emerald

jaysee
06-28-2009, 06:02 AM
rosey
odessa
gold
denison
hexazon
clown
panda
redfin african
snakeskin
tinfoil
redtail garra
inky
mad
spanner
rhomb
black ruby
checkered

hockeyhead019
06-28-2009, 04:03 PM
also once you get the list up and posted you could always link the name to a page specifically for that species. That way when people want to know a little more they can just click the link as opposed to having to go and search the name. Which of course is just a little time saver but would add a nice touch to the list

jaysee
06-28-2009, 04:23 PM
also once you get the list up and posted you could always link the name to a page specifically for that species. That way when people want to know a little more they can just click the link as opposed to having to go and search the name. Which of course is just a little time saver but would add a nice touch to the list

What ever happened to good ole fashioned research?

jackson17
06-28-2009, 05:20 PM
lol sounds like you have a project ahead of you!

Red
06-28-2009, 05:25 PM
I think, if your going to be doing this, maybe just have the AC fish profile, linked to the fish. If we don't have it, be free to pm and I will do it.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-28-2009, 05:25 PM
Livebearers
Endlers livebearer
Fancy Guppy

These are the same species. ;)

hockeyhead019
06-28-2009, 05:30 PM
What ever happened to good ole fashioned research?

just sayin it would make the chart more noob friendly and it would just have yet another helpful feature

jaysee
06-28-2009, 06:48 PM
just sayin it would make the chart more noob friendly and it would just have yet another helpful feature

You're absolutely right, it would be a fantastic feature to have so much information right there like that. I didn't mean it like that, I was just sayin...the things technology does for us.

jaysee
06-28-2009, 06:51 PM
These are the same species. ;)

I thought the.... guppy comminuty.... is still undecided on that. :ssmile:

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-28-2009, 07:00 PM
Nope. ALA chairman Ted Coletti wrote a whole article about this in the September issue of TFH. Here is an overview I wrote earlier.

The Poeser article classified Endlers as a seperate species, however Poeser was proven to be in error for the second time. Dr. Felix Breden, who has done extensive work with Endlers at "both at the morphological and DNA levels" outlined the reasons for Poeser being wrong at the April 2007 meeting of the ALA (American Livebearer Association). The six main reasons that Poeser was in error were published in the September issue of Tropical Fish Hobbyist. Here they are.

1. No real gonopodial differences between Cumana Endler's and guppy populations exist. This is necessary for taxonomic speciation among livebearers.
2. No DNA differences exist when comparing Cumana Endlers to guppy populations and guppy populations to guppy populations to warrant a new species.
3. Melanophore patterns are not criteria for speciation.
4. Coloration differences are not criteria for speciation. Poecilia are polymorphic by nature.
5. Behavioral differences can only be classified if a companion group is compared and done so over many generations.
6. The Cumana guppy/Endler's livepearer hybridizes with other guppy populations frequently. Indeed there is little to no natural barrier to hybridization in the wild.

As Dr. Breden also pointed out, the Endler is a "unique race of guppy, perhaps 'on the edge' of speciation... but the criteria for speciation have not been met. Furthermore, he also stated "that taxonomic status is often used for conservation puposes. The polluted habitat of Endler's livebearer, including one site that may now be devoid of them, is well known." However, that said, they still have not been granted true species status.

I highly recommend you read the article in the September 2007 issue of Tropical Fish Hobbyist. It is in the Livebearers Unlimited column, authored by Dr. Ted Coletti, Director of the American Livebearer Association.

No matter how much hobbyists may want Endlers to be a seperate species, they simply are not, they are still just a guppy.

DrNic
06-28-2009, 07:00 PM
As for making links to fish profiles, I wasn't planning on making the chart in HTML. I was planning on just making it a jpg when it was finished. I can try to make it an HTML document but I think that might be more trouble than it's worth.

As for the livebearers, I know that there is some back and forth about guppies and Endlers, I just wanted to cover the bases for noobs who may not know they are the same.

hockeyhead019
06-28-2009, 08:29 PM
You're absolutely right, it would be a fantastic feature to have so much information right there like that. I didn't mean it like that, I was just sayin...the things technology does for us.

na it's all good.... i completely agree with you bout the whole technology statement

thatcichlidguy
06-29-2009, 02:47 PM
Your certainly going to have your work cut out for you, this is by no means an easy task. If you can pull it off then my hats off to you.

IMO where your going to really get headaches is when you start trying to fit cichlids into the chart. They are just so variable in temperment plus territorial ,and conspecific aggression that it makes it hard say what will work and what won't many times. Even Angels and Rams can be homicidal maniacs on occasion.

DrNic
06-29-2009, 02:53 PM
Your certainly going to have your work cut out for you, this is by no means an easy task. If you can pull it off then my hats off to you.

IMO where your going to really get headaches is when you start trying to fit cichlids into the chart. They are just so variable in temperment plus territorial ,and conspecific aggression that it makes it hard say what will work and what won't many times. Even Angels and Rams can be homicidal maniacs on occasion.
Yeah I think this will be a good use of the asterisk next to all the cichlids.
*May become a hommicidal maniac. Just an FYI.

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Kaz
06-29-2009, 02:55 PM
I think, if your going to be doing this, maybe just have the AC fish profile, linked to the fish. If we don't have it, be free to pm and I will do it.

But Red, please check it over to make sure you aren't missing anything when you're done!

You're giving me a headache!

DrNic
07-01-2009, 02:20 AM
Just a quick bump, I'll get a new updated list up at the end of the week. :hmm3grin2orange:

jackson17
07-01-2009, 06:13 PM
Got that thing done yet? =P

I'm wondering what my gouramis and peacock eel can go with haha

DrNic
07-04-2009, 02:35 AM
Got that thing done yet? =P

I'm wondering what my gouramis and peacock eel can go with haha
Hadn't thought about putting eels on the list... :hmm3grin2orange: I'll toss them on

DrNic
07-04-2009, 02:46 AM
OK here is the updated list. I'm a little worried that some of the barbs, rainbows and killis are just color morphs of the same species. I don't have a lot of experience with these fish however so people can look those over I would appreciate it.

I also feel that this list is getting larger than I was initially anticipating. LOL. Not a problem really, I'm just saying. :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Barb
Cherry Barb
Clown Barb
Red Dwarf Rasbora
Striped barb
Tiger Barb
rosey
odessa
gold
denison
hexazon
clown
panda
redfin african
snakeskin
tinfoil
redtail garra
inky
mad
spanner
rhomb
black ruby
checkered

Catfish
Albino Cory
Bearded Cory
Bristlenosed Catfish
Featherfin catfish
Glass Catfish
Leopard Cory
Otocinclus
Panda cory
Pictus catfish
Raphael catfish
Siamese Algae Eater
Twig catfish
Upside-down catfish

Cichlid
Butterfly Cichlid
Blue Convict Cichlid
Bolivian Ram
Cockatoo cichlid
Discus
Electric Yellow Lab
German Blue Ram
Green Severum
Green Terror
Jack Dempsey Cichlid
Oscar
Rainbow cichlid
Tricolor Cichlid

Gourami
Dwarf Flame Gourami
Dwarf Gourami
Flamingo gouramis
Gold Gourami
Honey Gourami
Paradise Fish
Pearl Gourami
Snakesking gouramis

Killifish
Clown Killifish
panchax
dageti
korthausae
golden wonder
lampeye
flag fish
gardneri
gularis

Livebearer
Endler/Fancy Guppy
Molly
Platy
Swordtail

Loach
Clown Loach
Dojo loach
Dwarf Loach
Kulie loach
Queen Loach
Skunk loach
Yoyo loach
Zebra Loach

Rainbowfish
Boeseman rainbowfish
Dwarf rainbowfish
Turquiose rainbowfish
threadfin
celebs
australian
ornate
axelrodi
irian
madagascan
red
banded
parkinsons
lake tebera
marci
blehers
mcculloch
checkered
forktail
gertrudae
furcata
signifer
yellow
millenium
emerald

Tetra
Black Neon Tetra
Black Phantom Tetra
Blackskirt Tetra
Bleeding Heart Tetra
Bloodfin Tetra
Cardinal Tetra
Congo Tetra
Diamond Tetra
Emporer tetras
Flame Tetra
Glowlight Tetra
Neon Tetra
Rummy Nose Tetra
Serpae Tetra

Misc
Archerfish
Bala Shark
Banded Knife Fish
Betta
Bichir
Ghost Knife Fish
Giant Danio
Goldfish (fancy/comet)
Gray Bichir
Hatchetfish
Indian Glassfish
Koi Carp
Peacock gudgeons
Rainbow shark
Red-tailed Shark
Rice fish
Silver Dollar
Zebra Danio

Eels
Peacock Eel

Inverts
Amano shrimp
Cherry red shrimp
crayfish
Crystal shrimp
Ghost shrimp

William
07-04-2009, 03:00 AM
I better be quite than and not suggest any more species. ;-)

chris hop
08-12-2009, 04:53 PM
silver tip tetra

Padams
08-13-2009, 02:23 AM
would it be easier to create an excel book with different pages on the "families" then us noobs (just really needs another letter on the ftont:hmm3grin2orange: ) could down load similar to e book and save for future reference. with the advent of free "reader" software from MS anyone can view but not all can edit.

JMO as a boob:ssmile:

Neon
09-02-2009, 01:00 PM
I think that the excell spreadsheet ( see previous post )is a good idea . If u need a free excell reader try open office by Solaris : it's free and works !

http://www.openofficedownload.org/

A question : on which basis we establish compatibility ?
1 Experience
2 read it somewhere
3 common sense/ guessing
4 all of the above ?

Kaz
09-08-2009, 03:51 AM
Nic, how is this going?

I saw you mention it in another thread and I was started thinking about it.

Lemon tetras
Blind cave tetras

List also needs more plecos.

DrNic
09-08-2009, 04:09 AM
Thanks for the continued interest. I'm more than happy to entertain more species. At the moment however the project is idle until the end of Oct when i defend my thesis.