PDA

View Full Version : Its up and running!

SouthernGal0682
03-14-2007, 04:02 AM
Sooo excited. My husband finished the stand today (well it doesn't have doors on it yet, but thats just because the polyurethane is still drying on them) and my tank is finally set up! Some pictures...

Tank before water (no, I will not have a shovel in there with the fish)
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w240/SouthernGal0682/DSC00767.jpg

Tank after water. I am using all fluorite, so I was surprised that my water was only this cloudy...I was expecting more. Oh and I had to move my rock because, even though my drift wood has been soaking for 4 weeks, its still trying to float. I'm sure I'll be rearranging again anyways.
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w240/SouthernGal0682/DSC00774.jpg

UPDATE: I had to post a picture of the beautiful stand my husband made. It wasn't complete in those first 2 pictures...
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w240/SouthernGal0682/DSC00777.jpg

After rinsing fluorite all day and adding 38 gallons one-by-one cause my bucket was MIA, I am completely exhausted (don't joke, I'm 5 months pregnant) and am going to bed to dream about dwarf cichlids and lush, green plants. :19:

Chrona
03-14-2007, 04:15 AM
Nice stand! Now you need to get him to build a matching hood ;)

You added the Flourite wet? You must have literally spent HOURS washing it, lol. I added it dry 24 hours after an hour of rinsing and it still looked cloudier than that.

Out of curiosity, whats the wattage on that light strip?

Congrats on the upcoming baby too!

SouthernGal0682
03-14-2007, 04:24 AM
Yeah, I mentioned that hood thing a few times and didn't hear a "I would be glad to build that for you", so I'm thinking that won't happen...But I agree it would look nice!

Half of it the flourite was wet and half was dry. I rinsed 1 bag about a week ago, then another yesterday, and then a bag and a half today. So what I rinsed today was a little damp still but most of it was dry. But yeah...I'm a perfectionist so I did spend a little extra time rinsing.

My light strip has 3 bulbs with a total of 85 watts.

Chrona
03-14-2007, 04:35 AM
Yeah, I mentioned that hood thing a few times and didn't hear a "I would be glad to build that for you", so I'm thinking that won't happen...But I agree it would look nice!

Half of it the flourite was wet and half was dry. I rinsed 1 bag about a week ago, then another yesterday, and then a bag and a half today. So what I rinsed today was a little damp still but most of it was dry. But yeah...I'm a perfectionist so I did spend a little extra time rinsing.

My light strip has 3 bulbs with a total of 85 watts.

Sounds like you have a great setup going. Now you just need some fish, some plants and maybe DIY CO2 :) Are you still waiting to hear on Hobb's shipment? lol.

Drumachine09
03-14-2007, 04:41 AM
Killer!:thumb:

Lady Hobbs
03-14-2007, 08:28 AM
Very nice Southern Gal. Isn't this so much fun!!

My son has a wood hood for me but is a 3 hour drive from here. He's been here to visit me 3 times now and forgot it everytime. He got it from someone and said it isn't much but a coat of paint does wonders.

Easier and cheaper to put lights in one of those than buy those full lightening deals.

SouthernGal0682
03-14-2007, 02:00 PM
Sounds like you have a great setup going. Now you just need some fish, some plants and maybe DIY CO2 :) Are you still waiting to hear on Hobb's shipment? lol.

Yeah Im real curious to see how her plants arrive. I don't know if Im going to order from there right away, but it would just be nice to have somewhere to go to if I need something.

I do have the DIY CO2 made already, I was just kinda holding back on it to see how my pH and all were at initial startup. I'm actually thinking about ditching my air stone too because it makes like a freaking volcano of bubbles and I think its a little fake looking. My filter creates a lot of bubbles in the water so I'm debating on whether or not I will even need a airstone for oxygen. Anyway, if I do one at all I'm definitely going back to the store for a smaller one.

Chrona
03-14-2007, 04:16 PM
Yeah Im real curious to see how her plants arrive. I don't know if Im going to order from there right away, but it would just be nice to have somewhere to go to if I need something.

I do have the DIY CO2 made already, I was just kinda holding back on it to see how my pH and all were at initial startup. I'm actually thinking about ditching my air stone too because it makes like a freaking volcano of bubbles and I think its a little fake looking. My filter creates a lot of bubbles in the water so I'm debating on whether or not I will even need a airstone for oxygen. Anyway, if I do one at all I'm definitely going back to the store for a smaller one.

Once you get the CO2 running with a decent amount of plants, your plants will saturate the water with oxygen during the day, and you can turn on your air pump at night to release some of the dissolved CO2. I would add more water so that the filter doesn't have that waterfall effect though. DIY CO2 already provides somewhat inconsistent CO2 levels, so it's best not to disturb the water any more than neccesary during the day. As for pH, I would test your tap water. You should aim for a kH of 4-5 dH (1 teaspoon of baking soda will raise kH by 4 degrees in 10 gallons of water). DIY CO2 will lower your pH by approximately 0.8 degrees with this alkalinity, so you should end up with something like 6.8ish.

SouthernGal0682
03-14-2007, 04:45 PM
I would add more water so that the filter doesn't have that waterfall effect though. DIY CO2 already provides somewhat inconsistent CO2 levels, so it's best not to disturb the water any more than neccesary during the day. As for pH, I would test your tap water. You should aim for a kH of 4-5 dH (1 teaspoon of baking soda will raise kH by 4 degrees in 10 gallons of water). DIY CO2 will lower your pH by approximately 0.8 degrees with this alkalinity, so you should end up with something like 6.8ish.

I definitely dont have the waterfall effect going on. The tank is filled to the very edge of the filter...Its just strong because the Marineland filter that I got jumped from 30 gal to 50 gal...so I had to get th e50 gal. As far as ph goes, I have one of those live pH monitors by mardel and its reading about 7.4, which is a touch high for the fish that I aim to get...So I guess adding the CO2 would get it down to where it needs to be. I might go plant shopping later thumbs2:

Chrona
03-14-2007, 05:43 PM
I definitely dont have the waterfall effect going on. The tank is filled to the very edge of the filter...Its just strong because the Marineland filter that I got jumped from 30 gal to 50 gal...so I had to get th e50 gal. As far as ph goes, I have one of those live pH monitors by mardel and its reading about 7.4, which is a touch high for the fish that I aim to get...So I guess adding the CO2 would get it down to where it needs to be. I might go plant shopping later thumbs2:

Take a look at some other people's planted tanks and get a good idea as to what plants you are looking for (they should suit your water parameters and setup). I was an impatient bugger when first getting plants, so everything was on impulse and I had a lot of trouble early on.

Incredulous_Ed
03-14-2007, 06:15 PM
Nice!!!!!!

genitor
03-14-2007, 08:09 PM
nice setup:18:

SouthernGal0682
03-15-2007, 04:22 PM
Thanks ya'll :thumb: We're going plant shopping this afternoon:19:

Swayde
03-15-2007, 09:34 PM
It looks good so far, can't wait to see it planted!

By the way, how accurate are those little sticky test thingys that stay in the tank? How long do they last?

SouthernGal0682
03-16-2007, 02:38 AM
It looks good so far, can't wait to see it planted!

By the way, how accurate are those little sticky test thingys that stay in the tank? How long do they last?

The package says they last 4-6 weeks. 2 of the LFS in my area use them in their new tanks, so I figured they were pretty reliable. When you first put them in the tank it takes about an hour or so for them to get readings, but they seem to register changes pretty quickly.

p.s. I got 2 plants!! A purple cabomba and 2 althernanthera reineckii. I have been fighting the cabomba all evening to stay in the flourite...it wants to float.

Swayde
03-16-2007, 04:30 AM
Congratz on the plants! thumbs2:

hungryhound
03-16-2007, 04:57 PM
Looks like you went with some nice colors in the plants. We're currently waiting on a shipment of 6 different plants and have two different varieties of red plants coming (can't wait to add the color). I have read that the red plants require more light then the green, so that's something to keep in mind.

Happy growing!

SouthernGal0682
03-16-2007, 05:05 PM
I have read the same info about the colorful plants and extra lighting. I was surprised that these were the first 2 that I purchased because I had planned on starting with the "greens" and then accenting with the colorful ones. The purple cabomba doesn't have much color yet, but the reineckii is really pretty.

Here ya go...

"Purple" Cabomba. The tips of the leaves have a irridescent purple hue to them.
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w240/SouthernGal0682/DSC00780.jpg

Althernanthera Reineckii
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w240/SouthernGal0682/DSC00784.jpg