PDA

View Full Version : Injured Fish Advice on Treatment

copper_eos
06-26-2009, 11:37 PM
Hello, I added a couple more Rosey barbs to my tank and apparently one of the new Rosey Barbs was attacked in the night. I thought at first he was just sick and possibly dying. He had pop-eye but when I read more about it I saw a site that said it may be caused by the fish being injured. I then noticed his tail looked like it had been badly chewed up by his tank mates.

I quickly got him into my quarantine tank and he seems to be doing a bit better (swimming around more) but his tail is still torn up and he's missing his eye from the pop-eye. :( I'm wondering what else I should do for him in the quarantine tank so he can recover faster?

Northernguy
06-27-2009, 12:09 AM
Have you tested your perameters lately?
It sounds more like it was attacked and lost its eye more than it sounds like pop eye.He sounds real bad.
Have you given it any meds yet?

copper_eos
06-27-2009, 06:00 PM
Hello, yes I checked the water parameters. My NO3 was a little high but I'm thinking that's to be expected since I just added new fish to the tank. I did read pop-eye can happen from trauma so I'm thinking it was a result of being attacked. I got him in the QT tank and added some Epson salt but he sadly died before I had a chance to get him some medicine.

Just minutes after this I caught one of the larger rosey barbs I had just purchased chasing around one of my smaller original barbs. The little guys tail also had tears. I immediately removed the aggressor and did a water change early. The remaining barbs are all schooling and getting along nicely now. I'm going to go ahead and return this other barb to the petstore if I can. I've had normal chasing and mild aggresion to establish dominance but I've never had a killer in my tank :scry: