PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a 20G?

DrNic
06-26-2009, 10:28 PM
As I recently posted here (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=46064), due to an unfortunate accident with my dechlorinator I managed to completely wipe out my 20G guppy colony. I'm not terribly upset about this as most of the fry I was getting were just greyish yellow. Rather disappointing really.

I'm now however in the unique position of having a well planted completely cycled tank that needs fish. I currently have some plattys in there from my platty colony tank to hold the cycle. I'm trying to find some interesting ideas on what to put in the tank. As much as the guppies were fun to keep I think I'd like to go in a different direction. I've been thinking about barbs but I'm not sure that's really what I want to do.

Any other thoughts for a 20G setup? Keep in mind I'd like to use fish that I don't already have in my other tanks (see my signature).

Thanks for the suggestions!!!:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

cer
06-26-2009, 10:33 PM
What about a pair of rams? Diamond tetras, marbled hatchetfish, corycats, ottos, dwarf gouramis. They are just a few I can think of.

DrNic
06-26-2009, 10:37 PM
What about a pair of rams? Diamond tetras, marbled hatchetfish, corycats, ottos, dwarf gouramis. They are just a few I can think of.

That's a possibility. As much as I love the look, I've only had mediocre luck with rams though. I'm not sure why but they do fine in my tanks for about 2 months then suddenly just drop dead. It's happened twice now.

I might also be adding some dwarf gouramis to my tetra tank, if i can EVER find them around here (I've been hunting for over 3 months now). :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

cer
06-26-2009, 10:38 PM
Gold rams are easier to keep than regular rams there is also apistos.

wolf_eyes
06-26-2009, 10:41 PM
A few pairs of peacock gudgeons, some shrimp, and then maybe a school of some smaller tetras would be pretty cool. Maybe some panda cories and a school of fish? I always liked the micro rasboras and, in a tank that size, you could have a pretty big school since they only top out at an inch. Red colored fish will always stand out really strong against green plants since they're complementary colors so I would try to look into some red fish species.

cer
06-26-2009, 10:42 PM
Yeah I also agree with wolf eyes peacock gudgeons have great personalities.

PostalPenguin
06-26-2009, 10:51 PM
Tiger barbs. But thats just because I love tigers. Plus if you have a decent sized platy colony you can feed the excess fry to the tigers as a treat. I have 7 in my 20g and they are quite fun to watch.

mac
06-27-2009, 01:18 AM
There are many fish out there.

IMO and IME small fish in tanks like that in large shoals are great.

For example 20 Dwarf Rasboras, with 5-6 Panda Corys, or 5-6 Kulie Loaches.

Fish like small Tetras. Rasboras. Small Gouramis. Small South American Cichlids would work great.

Good luck,

mc

NanoTankGuy
06-27-2009, 01:53 AM
I'd go with a breeding pair of convicts for %$1@s anf giggles :) And after they breed you can sell them and settle down with some tetras.

MCHRKiller
06-27-2009, 07:11 AM
Is the tank a 20long or a 20high?

If its a 20G long I would do 3-4 dwarf neon rainbows, 8 cherry barbs, 3 otos. Dence vegatation and a good water circulation....youd have an extremely active and colorful tank for sure here.

For a 20G high I would go with either a trio of Dario dario and 12 dwarf spotted rasboras, 3 otos

jaysee
06-27-2009, 08:38 AM
Is the tank a 20long or a 20high?

If its a 20G long I would do 3-4 dwarf neon rainbows, 8 cherry barbs, 3 otos. Dence vegatation and a good water circulation....youd have an extremely active and colorful tank for sure here.

For a 20G high I would go with either a trio of Dario dario and 12 dwarf spotted rasboras, 3 otos

I have 8 cherry barbs(4/4), 7 neons, 10 ghost shrimp and a blue crayfish in mine. I'll be adding a golden wonder killie and switching out the ghost shrimp for yellow shrimp to complete the tank. It's got a black background and black tahitian moon sand with green and red plants (fake). The reds, blues and soon to be yellows look fantastic against the black.

The rainbows need at least 5, but I definitely agree with putting them in a 20L.

jaysee
06-27-2009, 08:51 AM
The crayfish is behind the mountain, as are most of the barbs..

Demi ^_^
06-27-2009, 09:36 AM
:11: In my 22g at the moment, I have 4 Rummys, 1 Bronze Cory && 2 Kuhli Loaches.

In the end, I would like to have:

12x Rummys
6x Corys
6x Kuhlis
__________________________________________________ ___________

I reckon, it'll make a nice, peaceful tank :) For your tank, I'll suggest maybe a perhaps a pair of paradise fish? Very nice and colourful there. A shoal of black neon tetras - they'd make the paradise stand out more and a shoal of bottom dwellers - perhaps a favoured type of Cory.

Have a look at these links:

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profile.html

http://www.elmersaquarium.com/000tropfishcareguides.htm

Goodluck!