PDA

View Full Version : Malaysian Trumpet Snails

Lady Hobbs
03-13-2007, 11:54 PM
Heard these are good snails to have for sand tanks but also read they mutiple so fast and can take a tank over in weeks.

Any other idea for better snails? Or, could I just put some of my loaches in the tank to keep the population in check?

Also, this tank will be planted and the way loaches go after my veggies and lettuce I give the Silver Dollars, I wonder if I can even put them in a planted tank. Some sites say yea and others nay.

Would a Featherfin be OK with snails?

Chrona
03-14-2007, 12:55 AM
Heard these are good snails to have for sand tanks but also read they mutiple so fast and can take a tank over in weeks.

Any other idea for better snails? Or, could I just put some of my loaches in the tank to keep the population in check?

Also, this tank will be planted and the way loaches go after my veggies and lettuce I give the Silver Dollars, I wonder if I can even put them in a planted tank. Some sites say yea and others nay.

Would a Featherfin be OK with snails?

Olive nerita snails. They don't eat healthy plants (they do eat dying/dead leaves), and they can only reproduce in brackish/salt water. Well, they lay eggs, but those eggs don't hatch unless they are in a marine environment and are easy to remove.

Chrona
03-14-2007, 03:34 AM
Oh, forgot to mention that olive nerita snails don't aerate the sand like MTS, which was one of your original points. Try some freshwater clams. They are filter feeders, so you don't need to feed them and they reduce nitrates.

Lady Hobbs
03-14-2007, 08:40 AM
I knew you'd answer this post!! I saw in another thread you mentioned the snails to someone asking about adding sand but I didn't want to take the topic off track so posted it here.

I've read up on the snails and people are saying they cover everything in a very short time. Snails are like bugs to me. Just crawl around looking ugly.
But, if they're useful to plants and sand, then I may have to relent. They remind of of those old nasty slugs that used to wash up in my driveway when I lived in FL. uck.

Chrona
03-14-2007, 11:50 AM
I knew you'd answer this post!! I saw in another thread you mentioned the snails to someone asking about adding sand but I didn't want to take the topic off track so posted it here.

I've read up on the snails and people are saying they cover everything in a very short time. Snails are like bugs to me. Just crawl around looking ugly.
But, if they're useful to plants and sand, then I may have to relent. They remind of of those old nasty slugs that used to wash up in my driveway when I lived in FL. uck.

Yeah, well, at least the nerita snails won't take over your tank. MTS are LIVEBEARERS lol, so you can't even get rid of the eggs. Plus they have a hatch they close on their shell if you try to kill them with copper or something. Supposedly they drop off whatever they are stuck to at the slightest disturbance though, so removal shouldn't be that hard.

bettaboy691
03-14-2007, 09:33 PM
as for stiring up the sand, kuhliis help, and cories move the top layer around too, mts will do a good job, dont overfeed and remove as many babies when you see them and the population should stay low...
use a chopstick to poke in the sand to help.
to be hone st, ive never had any problems with sand in my tank, no gas bubbles are anything.all i have to help are few kuhliis, a group of pygmy cories and a ton of live plants.

Lady Hobbs
03-14-2007, 11:11 PM
Thank You. No more than my coreys move around, I can't picture them being much good for anything. They sit in the same spot for hours and hours. I will check up on the Kuhliis bit I have 7 clown loaches now. I don't see them doing any digging tho and worried about them in a planted tank. They eat lettuce, zucchini and everything else so I was worried about eating my plants.

xoolooxunny
03-14-2007, 11:59 PM
right, now, the mts are taking over my tank...I'm going to have to use the salt shaker/lettuce method to get rid of a lot of them, and i guess keep up with it, because i have a few that are getting pretty large, and the variations in their shells are pretty neat! they do a wonderful job of keeping my top layer of flourite clean, and the clams/plants do the rest!

Drumachine09
03-15-2007, 12:02 AM
I saw a snail that had an elongated spiral shell in my community tank. I didnt want an outbreak, so i crushed him agaisnt the rock he was on and scooped his sorry butt outa there....Not in my tank, no way.

kimmers318
03-15-2007, 02:12 AM
I allow MTS to grow in all of my tanks, including my puffer tanks against everyones better judgement. The only tank they have ever gone overboard on is the snail tank that I overfeed. If you don't over feed your fish you should be fine, and the tracks they leave in the sand overnight are awesome. I personally think it makes the tank look very natural! But then again, I am weird and breed snails!!!! My cory and clown loaches also stir the sand up, my kuhlie never seem to burrow into the sand like they did the gravel bed. Honestly Hobbs, if you want to try it I would say go for it, if you get overrun the bait and remove technique works well as does underfeeding fish. I find that if I use a straight hose for vacuuming instead of the vac head attachment I can just suck 'em right up and out, no problemo! Also, if your sand bed is very shallow, like less than an inch, you probably won't need to worry much, it is the deeper sand beds that seem to pose a problem