PDA

View Full Version : upside down catfish

WOGGIES
03-13-2007, 09:05 PM
Hello, I am new to aquariums and i recently bought a upside down catfish from a pet store. It was their last one. The guy said it would be okay by itself, but after I did some research it said they like to be in groups. So i went to a different fish store and got 2 more "upside down catfish." However, the one I got first is a leopard looking one and smaller, and the 2 other ones are more spotty. They hang around the tank around each other (usually just 2 of them at at time though). Are these 2 different species? And if so, will they be okay together in a 40 gallon tank? thanks

sergo
03-13-2007, 09:18 PM
do you have any pix of these guys? i do believe there is more than on species of them and one is bigger. i have 2 in my tank and they do their own thing for the most part, although there is a size difference between them.

welcome to ac.

WOGGIES
03-13-2007, 09:36 PM
Here an uploaded picture of the 2 i got the day after i got the first one. I don't have a digital camera, so it's off my cell phone. The one I got first i'm sure is a Synodontis nigriventris because of the pictures i've seen online. However, the second two just have spots. But i know the sign on the tank said Synodontis something, but i'm not sure if it's the same thing or not. It's really unclear, i don't think you'll be able to tell what it is from the photo. But these guys seem a little older too, or at least bigger.

WOGGIES
03-13-2007, 09:49 PM
I'm pretty sure the 2 i got second are Synodontis nigrita. Will they be fine in a 40 gallon tank? I read they get big.

sergo
03-13-2007, 09:55 PM
it may be me but those colors and stripes look just like my clown plecos. but the pic is blurry though.

WOGGIES
03-13-2007, 10:07 PM
Here is what they look like. Can you tell me more about this fish? for instance, how big will get in my tank? And will the real upside down catfish I got first be okay by itself in the tank? When i bought the 2, the guy showed me an adult one, and it was HUGE, but he said he's never seen one that big. maybe it's a Synodontis eupterus. I'm not sure!