PDA

View Full Version : Attaching a background

SouthernGal0682
03-13-2007, 05:29 PM
I could have sworn there was a thread that discussed how to attach backgrounds to the outside, back of the tank but if there was, I can't find it now, so...

Any suggestions on how to attach a plain black background to my tank? I know that it needs to be as water "proof" as possible to prevent water from getting in between the glass and the back ground. I just need to know how to get it to stay!

jeffs99dime
03-13-2007, 05:31 PM
i ran a bead of clear silicone aound the back of my tank and attached a plain black background. it's completely waterproof. another bonus to this route is that you can always scrape the silicone adhesive off the glass with a razor blade if you want to remove the background.--jeff

**silicone will also work for attaching things such as rocks, wood, etc, inside the tank. just make sure it's aquarium-safe if you use it in the tank

SouthernGal0682
03-13-2007, 05:42 PM
I just read on a website that sells backgrounds to use tape...:rolleyes: I don't think so. But I do have another idea... dunno how to explain it...I'll post a pic when I'm done

Lady Hobbs
03-13-2007, 05:44 PM
I'm not that smart. I run a piece of masking tape the full length..top and bottom. If you can slide the background under the frame at the top it helps but with my divider, it wouldn't work all the way.

I would love to just buy the self sticking but it's never around where I am.

xoolooxunny
03-13-2007, 07:11 PM
one of my lfs's has a product that looks similar to a glue stick, but apparently its for attaching backgrounds completely smooth to the glass without any waves or bubbles....

I just used invisible tape on my 10 gallon and i've washed this thing numerous times since i've owned it and its still on...

SouthernGal0682
03-13-2007, 07:28 PM
Hobbs I'm kinda doing something that sound like what you were describing. I can run it under the frame, top and bottom. So I am doing that and then when I get it in place I am going to duct tape it (from the back, not in between the glass and the background) to the top and bottom of the frame.

niqolas619
03-13-2007, 07:41 PM
I cut a piece of cardboard that was the size of the back of the tank and put that between the back of the background and the HOB filters. The filters push the cardboard against the background and holds it in place against the back of the aquarium. I like this because it's pretty easy to change the background if I have one person help me - no taping or glueing or anything.

Drumachine09
03-13-2007, 08:53 PM
Me, i use duct tape.

But there is a better/more esthetically pleasing way. to do it. Have you noticed that when water gets between the glass and your background, that the background is clear?

Grab your back ground (must be cut to fit back side of tank on the GLASS ONLY!
A tub of clear petrolium jelly
an old credit card/gift card

Place the background on a flat surface with the side you want to see in the back of your tank up. Put a glob of petrol jelly on the middle, and smooth it out to a very fine layer all over the front of the background. When its all smeared, place it on the back of your tank, leaving out all air bubbles. Did you notice that your background is brighter? The petrol jelly messes with the refraction of the light so your background is lit up too.

Or you can just spraypaint the back of your tank black/blue. (not really fish safe)

reybie
03-13-2007, 09:23 PM
Mine was the spray painted route. I painted the outside back blue.

Chrona
03-13-2007, 09:25 PM
Yep, what he said, except I use mineral oil instead of vaseline. I found it's much easier to squeeze the bubbles out that way. On a side note, DON'T use vegetable oil, no matter how much you are tempted to try. The stuff dries out and gets crusty.

Me, i use duct tape.

But there is a better/more esthetically pleasing way. to do it. Have you noticed that when water gets between the glass and your background, that the background is clear?

Place the background on a flat surface with the side you want to see in the back of your tank up. Put a glob of petrol jelly on the middle, and smooth it out to a very fine layer all over the front of the background. When its all smeared, place it on the back of your tank, leaving out all air bubbles. Did you notice that your background is brighter? The petrol jelly messes with the refraction of the light so your background is lit up too.

Or you can just spraypaint the back of your tank black/blue. (not really fish safe)

SouthernGal0682
03-14-2007, 03:19 AM
Chrona, despite having vegetable oil in my cabinet... Never felt the urge to try to use it to make my background cling so I guess I am safe there :ezpi_wink1: BUT I have very little patience and have to see immediate progress so I just use the duct tape method.

Chrona
03-14-2007, 03:27 AM
Chrona, despite having vegetable oil in my cabinet... Never felt the urge to try to use it to make my background cling so I guess I am safe there :ezpi_wink1: BUT I have very little patience and have to see immediate progress so I just use the duct tape method.

Well, the the dried out and crusty part came from personal experience ;) I was impatient as well and did not feel like running to CVS for mineral oil.

crackatinny
03-14-2007, 06:58 AM
Me, i use duct tape.

Makes sense to me, I will be giving this idea a shot next time

Lady Hobbs
03-14-2007, 08:19 AM
You guys are just full of it.......good ideas I mean. :) Never thought of any of these things.

TehTANK
03-14-2007, 03:34 PM
I used Vaseline and got all the bubbles out with a squeegee. It works GREAT!

hungryhound
07-26-2007, 04:15 PM
I have resurrected this thread from the dead as I have been having problems with my background.

I have tried the mineral oil twice on two different backgrounds and neither of them has stayed up for longer than two months.

I think that my problem may be that a little bit of water is getting on the back of the tank causing the oil to loose seal and then once that happens it rapidly looses suction.

It is quite frustrating and messy as each time it falls off I have to clean the back of my tank let it dry clean the background and then reapply the mineral oil.

I think that I am done with the mineral oil experiment and am looking for a better way.

I was wondering what people experienced using vasoline on the back? Do you find that vasoline holds rather well and would you do it again?

Same goes with the other methods.

I guess I am asking for an update on what people used and their review of that technique? Hopefully then I will be able to find a way that does not require me to reattach the background every month.

Thanks for your help guys.

Drumachine09
07-26-2007, 05:50 PM
I can only speak for my way, but duct tape works GREAT!

hungryhound
07-26-2007, 06:04 PM
If I remember correct all of your backgrounds are solid colors and I would think that it would work great for those, but if a printed background is not placed directly against the glass it tends to look faded and drab.

I would love to have a plain black background on all of my tanks but my wife complains that she will not be able to see some of her fish if there is a black background. Of course the way I look at it is that if the fish are in the back against the background you are not going to see them anyways as they will be behind all of the plants.

Oh well. Thanks for the imput.

Drumachine09
07-26-2007, 06:05 PM
Possibly the best background is a spraypainted on background. I have a how-to in the DIY section if you are interested.

hungryhound
07-26-2007, 06:13 PM
Possibly the best background is a spraypainted on background. I have a how-to in the DIY section if you are interested.

I think that my wife would kill me.