PDA

View Full Version : How often can I treat with H2O2?

PostalPenguin
06-25-2009, 01:23 PM
I have an infestation of BBA in my 29g tank. I have started up pressurized CO2, trimmed the plants and cleaned off the decorations. Now I need to clean up the substrate and remaining plants. I spot treated last night with 50mL of H2O2, then did a small water change and turned everything back on. Can I do that again today(do another 50mL worth of spot treatments)? Or do I need to wait between treatments?

I am assuming I can hit it again today since my UV sterilizer will remove any last traces of the peroxide from the water but want to get some advice first.

Alfcea
06-25-2009, 01:37 PM
I have treated every day for several days in a row, and it is always fine. No worries...

50 mL sounds like a bit much, though... I've never done that much. I always add about 10 mL on the leaves that I want to treat... every day... But it that works for you, go ahead. Just as a caution, though, since you are adding what I think is a lot, turn off the filter for an hour or so, after you have spot treated the BBA -with the lights on- to kill all the remaining H2O2. Remember that it is used as a disinfectant and it could kill your biofilter!

Wild Turkey
06-25-2009, 02:25 PM
I was told by a trusted user not to exceed 3ml/g so I dont. Never had a problem treating daily though.

PostalPenguin
06-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Ok thanks. I will keep the filters off for longer next time. Last night I only kept them off for about 30 minutes but there was a water change. I will start testing the water to make sure my biofilter isn't being killed off.

I only treated at 1.75mL/gallon so maybe I'll step it up tonight.

DrNic
06-26-2009, 03:00 AM
I'm a little surprised that people treat on a daily basis. I found that a 2-3ml/gallon treatment once every 7 days was more than sufficient to clear out all the algae in my tanks.

In the one tank where I did try treatment every other day I got noticeable ammonia and nitrate spikes from what I assumed was dying bacteria.

Wild Turkey
06-26-2009, 03:08 AM
I'm a little surprised that people treat on a daily basis. I found that a 2-3ml/gallon treatment once every 7 days was more than sufficient to clear out all the algae in my tanks.

In the one tank where I did try treatment every other day I got noticeable ammonia and nitrate spikes from what I assumed was dying bacteria.

Ive never done it for more than 2-3 days in a row, so I cant comment on using it for longer periods than that. Never had cycle issues though

Could it be the h202 killed enough algae to cause an ammonia spike?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-26-2009, 03:17 AM
I've treated with as much as 5ml/gal for 3 days straight with now issues. It worked, but doing a large water change and spraying the H2O2 directly onto the algae worked far far better.

PostalPenguin
06-26-2009, 04:51 PM
Treated with 60mL last night and algae is definitely dying off. No fish issues, left the filter off for one hour before turning it back on. I will treat again tonight before the regular weekly water change.