PDA

View Full Version : Can't keep cherry shrimp alive...

DrNic
06-25-2009, 12:07 AM
I setup a heavily planted 10G tank that I wanted to use as a shrimp tank about a month ago. I used a seeded sponge filter from another tank, as well as a small school of zebrafish, and within about a week all my water parameters were good to go.

I pulled the fish out of the tank and added my first batch of 15 adult CRS into the tank, and they lasted about 2 weeks before they started dying off. Over the course of about 2 weeks I lost them all. I put the zebrafish back into the tank to hold the cycle and ordered a second batch of 25 juvenile shrimp from aquabid. Again, after verifying that the water was fine I removed the zebras and added the shrimp. This time they only lasted about 4 days total before I stopped seeing any in the tank and started seeing bodies.

Any thoughts on why I can't seem to keep the shrimp alive? Fish and plants seem to do fine in the tank the the shrimp just don't seem to make it.

Red
06-25-2009, 12:18 AM
Maybe call up your local water company and ask what your copper content is in the water..

Kyle
06-25-2009, 12:24 AM
Thats a good idea, and see how much you can get RO water from your LFS mine sells it for like $.50 a gallon

DrNic
06-25-2009, 12:31 AM
Maybe call up your local water company and ask what your copper content is in the water..

You know I was so worried about the copper in the food I never even thought about it being in the water. Given the age of this house and the fact that I know the water is in copper pipes I bet you that's the problem.

Are there any copper test kits available?

DrNic
06-25-2009, 12:32 AM
Thats a good idea, and see how much you can get RO water from your LFS mine sells it for like $.50 a gallon

My LFSs don't sell RO water. The retail stores do but its like $2 a gallon I think. I work in a lab that has an RO system but it would probably be a little suspicious as I try to get 10+ gallons of water to my car. :hmm3grin2orange:

Red
06-25-2009, 12:34 AM
I don't know if there is testers, but your best bet is to look up at the big vendors (big als petsolutions etc). I would look into investing into your own unit then.

Zilla
06-25-2009, 01:00 AM
Seachem puts out a copper test. I have one as my house was built in 1972 and has copper pipes. If your LFS doesn't carry it, you can easily order one. I ordered mine from bigalsonline.

DrNic
06-25-2009, 01:50 AM
I'll have to look into getting a test kit.

At this point I'm back to just using that tank as a high light plant farm though. You'll see a new ad from me in the classifieds this weekend. At the very least I now have WAY more java moss than i know what to do with!:hmm3grin2orange:

korith
06-25-2009, 06:57 AM
I recently had a massive die off in my shrimp tank because of local water company changing things up. If it turns out to be copper, I know people in the saltwater side of the hobby use polyfilter, to help remove copper.

http://www.pets-warehouse.com/pic-a/APMPF.JPG

PUNISHER VETTE
06-25-2009, 12:19 PM
I know you said your water perameters were good before you added the shrimp but what exactly is "good"?

I know if things in my tanks go bad the shrimp are the first to let me know.

Nitrates get above 10ppm....dead.
and the usual range for dosing nitrates in a planted tank is higher then that so....

Wild Turkey
06-25-2009, 02:35 PM
R/O water is not a great idea imo. Shrimp need calcium and hard water, using R/O will reduce both and possibly cause other problems

I agree get a copper test and start there

DrNic
06-25-2009, 03:58 PM
I know you said your water perameters were good before you added the shrimp but what exactly is "good"?

and the usual range for dosing nitrates in a planted tank is higher then that so....

My parameters were 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 3-5ppm nitrate (probably because of the zebrafish).

I will test my water but at this point I think I'm pretty much done with shrimp for now. :hmm3grin2orange:

fishlover49
06-26-2009, 01:01 AM

Are you serious on the nitrates?? Maybe that is my problem then. My nitrates are 12.5. :scry: I thought they could take a little higher count than 10.

PUNISHER VETTE
06-26-2009, 02:46 AM
Are you serious on the nitrates?? Maybe that is my problem then. My nitrates are 12.5. :scry: I thought they could take a little higher count than 10.

If you ease them into the higher numbers most can probably survive and be okay. But i noticed the shrimp where the first to show signs of my nitrates being too high by dying off.

It might also be due to the spikes in nitrate increases due to not fertilizing on a regular basis.