PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Gourami Tankmate Help?

VoidParadigm
06-24-2009, 04:39 AM
Right now I've got a pair of dwarf gourami and a temporary blue (three-spot) gourami in a 10 gal tank.

Does anyone know what could be suitable tankmates for the dwarf pair and how much room each fish/any tankmates you suggest take up?
---
Any other random tidbits about gouramis that comes into your mind would be helpful too, as I'm new to gourami care. :ssmile:

robflanker
06-24-2009, 10:21 AM
I wouldn't get any fish with your current stocking and i'd consider splitting up the gouramis. They are relatively big fish for a 10g, and with 3 of them you want to consider separating them as they are pretty territorial too.

For a 10g stocking, i'd think about
1 dwarf gourami
AND
6 zebra danios OR 6 tetras OR harlequin rasbora
AND
6 dwarf corys (only if you do a smaller species of tetra)

Your stocking will be pretty high and you'll need to do weekly water changes, and have good filtration but that should give you a good mix of fish in your tank.

Gayle
06-24-2009, 01:18 PM
10g is really not large enough for the Blue Gourami, that one will need a larger tank, or you may want to rehome it.

10g is also not big enough for the pair. I assume you mean pair as in male and female. I would pick one and rehome the other, and still get a larger tank, maybe 20g. IMO

With Gouramis the male can be very aggressive during breeding or in a small tank over territory. Some may be more peaceful than others, each fish does have its own personality. For the most part though, unless you want to breed them, I do not recommend having a male and female, nor two males.....sometimes even two females will fight.

Gouramis are labryinth fish, so they take breaths of air from the surface every so often, they are egg layers, and build bubblenests. You have to be careful not to keep them with fish that are nippers, as they can nip at the gouramis "feelers". Gouramis typically prefer the top level of the tank, but will swim around everywhere. My Gouramis love to eat bloodworms, brine shrimp, zuchinni, peas, romaine, as well as their crisps and flake food.

If there is just one, they are very peaceful fish typically, and make a great centerpiece in a community tank!! They are also very curious, so do not be alarmed when they feel your hand and arm!!

VoidParadigm
06-24-2009, 01:43 PM
Thank you. Was not nessecarily planning on getting more fish, but thought it best to make sure I knew if I needed a third tank or not if the thought ever did cross my mind.

I didn't read as extensively about gouramis as I should have before I got them, and that has resulted in the mixed species and number of fish.

The ten gallon tank is only a temporary thing, and the blue gourami will likely be off to a new home before the month is over.

(A few weeks ago) once I learned they could be aggressive/territorial I began watching them more carefully but the blue doesn't pay attention to the dwarfs, the dwarfs don't pay attention to the blue, one dwarf has claimed an old rock, and the other is rarely far from an artificial hollow log.

Thank you for your help. =]

HorrorShowRot
06-24-2009, 01:46 PM
Yea the only problem you will have is when they start acting agressive towards each other specially if theres 2 males because they will fight for turf.:22:

robflanker
06-24-2009, 02:36 PM
As Gayle said, if you want to keep the two dwarfs together they need to go in a 20g

The blue needs to be separated regardless