PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Rainbows

Zilla
06-21-2009, 10:32 PM
I've always used a two minute rule for feeding fish. In other words, I give just enough food for the fish to consume within 2 minutes. However, I'm new to Rainbows and have discovered that mine tend to become rather obnoxious when food is around or right after they've been fed. Is this typical behavior or do I need to offer more food over a extra minute or so?

As for what I'm feeding, they get a combo of Ocean Nutrition Flakes, NLS semi-sinking pellets and frozen. I bought a variety pack of frozen stuff, so I rotate those out so they get a little something different daily. I pre-measure everything in a small cup which allows the frozen stuff to thaw ( I use tank water for thawing) while I'm getting their flakes and pellets ready.

rich311k
06-21-2009, 10:38 PM
I feed mine a pinch or two of flakes or acube of frozen. They eat with the other fish, I have not noticed any unusual behavior. What kind of bows do you have?

Zilla
06-21-2009, 10:44 PM
2 juvenile Turquoise and one that I'm not sure of. It might be a juvenile Australian Rainbow, but the colors are off.

Zilla
06-22-2009, 12:21 AM
Here's a picture of my unknown Rainbow. I did not take this photo, but this is the only one that I've found that is close.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IMG_0152.jpg

rich311k
06-22-2009, 12:29 AM
I think you are doing just fine. If they are young twice a day feedings would be a good option. Be sure the food particle size is fairly small, they have narrow throughts.

jaysee
06-22-2009, 03:42 AM
Could be because you have only two of them - They are an actively schooling fish.

mac
06-22-2009, 05:09 AM
Sounds to me that you need to get a few more. When my Rainbows are in tiny groups they get quite pushy at times.

IMO feeding is easy just give a few good pinches. That about all, And if you are not sure you fed them enough ad a 1/4 of the amount 1hr before lights out.

mac

Zilla
06-22-2009, 08:27 PM
Thanks all for the help.

Everything they are being fed is a size they can handle, so no problems with that.

We've discussed adding 2 more Turquoise to the bunch. We'll be going to our LFS Thursday anyway, so I can talk to them about it.

It's the mystery Rainbow that I can't positively ID that seems to develop an attitude problem when it comes to food or feeding. He / she will troll the tank for atleast a half hour post feeding looking for more food. I'm afraid that if I put too much in, he / she will bloat as the other two only eat until they are satisfied.

They are being fed twice a day, so I'll give them a pinch more per feeding and see how it goes. If I continue to see the tank trolling that I have been, I'll add a tiny third feeding before bed time.