PDA

View Full Version : Empty shell and new snails...S.O.S.

fishlover71
06-21-2009, 03:00 AM
Hello!

I am a newbie. I have a 36-gallon fish tank and in the beginning of May I bought some new fish and got two snails with them. The snails were doing a great job cleaning the tank.

I usually change 30% of the water every 15 days. Last week (June 14) I changed the water. Then, I noticed the largest of the two snails had been adhered to the filter stick for a couple of days (I had noticed it was there before). It remained there until today (June 19), when I noticed it was at the bottom of the fish tank...at least, that was what I thought, but tonight I discovered it is just an empty shell...and that there are plently of small snails of different sizes...I wonder where did those come from (were they inside the large now-empty shell? is that possible?) I already counted about 10 of them and some are really tiny.

On the other hand, there is a larger snail...it has a shell...(could it be that it also inhabited the mysterious empty shell?)

I am confused...the variety seems to be the ramshorn snail, but I read that they lay eggs...

Please help me solve this puzzle!

Thank you!!

Lina

Northernguy
06-21-2009, 03:48 AM
Welcome to the Fabulous AC!:22:
What kind of fish did you buy?Some fish eat snails.
What kind of snails did you buy?
Did you get any plants?
Can you get pics of the new snails?Can you describe their shells?

Also please read the free e-book.

Your water changes should be every week.Have you rinsed your filter out yet?Was the snail stuck to the intake of your filter or just the shaft?

fishlover71
06-21-2009, 06:26 PM
Hello Northernguy,

Thanks for your reply.
What kind of fish did you buy?Some fish eat snails. Most of my fish are small, I believe scavenger fish are the most suspicious of eating the snail.

What kind of snails did you buy?
I am not sure about what kind they are. They came with some fish I bought. I think they are the ramshorn type.

Did you get any plants? No, I have artificial plants.

Can you get pics of the new snails?Can you describe their shells? Please see attached picture.
Also please read the free e-book. I will, thanks.

Your water changes should be every week.Have you rinsed your filter out yet?Thanks for the advice!
Was the snail stuck to the intake of your filter or just the shaft?It was eating some algae inside the filter intake.