PDA

View Full Version : What will PETA dream up next?

Drumachine09
03-12-2007, 11:00 PM
http://www.peta.org/factsheet/files/FactsheetDisplay.asp?ID=30

When will they learn that, even though everyone is entitled to their opinion, they are not entitled to anyone giving a rats arse?

Chrona
03-12-2007, 11:10 PM
This line is misleading:

• The natural waste of fish emits ammonia, which can accumulate to toxic levels, so clean the tank regularly, but never empty the tank completely. Be sure to clean the glass well with a pad or a brush to prevent algae growth.

Drumachine09
03-12-2007, 11:15 PM
Also the line

Robbed of their natural habitats and denied the ability to travel freely, they must swim around in the same few cubic inches of water over and over.

By my calculations, there are over 230 cubic inches per gallon, leaving about 2,400 cubic inches in the standard 10 gallon tank. Now, since when is 2,400 considered "Just a few"?

Hypocrites?

deckard_wa
03-12-2007, 11:38 PM
You can't disagree with too much they say though. Fish are obviously going to be better off in the wild living how nature intended, and it's something we all must have considered at some point and made our peace with. Dogs aren't meant to be kept in back yards either or tethered to leashes, but they all are.

Come to think of it, why wouldn't a fish want to live in a tank? There are no predators out to get them, they get fed regularly, their every need is taken care of and they don't have to work for it, most have never even seen a stream or river. Hmmm, on second thoughts, maybe for the safety and well being of fish in general we should all catch as many wild fish as we can, and give them all a life of safety, and easy food j/k :hmm3grin2orange:

Drumachine09
03-12-2007, 11:44 PM
Nope. Fish are definatley better off in an aquarium.

deckard_wa
03-12-2007, 11:48 PM
yep, sure arethumbs2:

kenyth
03-14-2007, 01:45 PM
Ignorant or apathetic fish owners and marketing ploys to sell cheap inadequate fish setups are the biggest problem. Also, parents who let their kids keep pets and expect them to take care of it properly.

Chrona
03-14-2007, 04:42 PM
So....does this mean PETA is going to start conducting raids on LFS and killing all the fish like they do with puppies and stuff? o.O

Willyleigh
03-14-2007, 06:04 PM
Do PETA actually get on with anybody, during my time as a member of this forum, an airgun forum and a fishing forum they seem to stick they're littles noses in everywere to try and stop people enjoying themselves and to reduce people to nothing more than PETA puppets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9ijLulwUTY

Watch this!!

Chrona
03-14-2007, 07:25 PM
Apparently PETA likes to kills animals in captivity rather than let them "suffer." Again, it may just be a few rotten apples, but we had a fake pig carcass strewn courtyard incident some while back by PETA, so I'm convinced they are all a bunch of nutjobs.

Drumachine09
03-14-2007, 09:06 PM
Do PETA actually get on with anybody, during my time as a member of this forum, an airgun forum and a fishing forum they seem to stick they're littles noses in everywere to try and stop people enjoying themselves and to reduce people to nothing more than PETA puppets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9ijLulwUTY

Watch this!!

And that perfectly illustrates my point. If i never had to hear another animal activist Bi*** about how meat is murder, i could die now and be a happy man. And in the last minute of the movie, i JUST got why they were wearing all the leather/fur...lol

Hey willyleigh, loks like we got four things in common.
1.) Aquariums
2.) Airguns
3.) Fishing
4.) A general hate of peta.

Every animal has a place in this world, next to the potatoes!:ezpi_wink1:

jessie
03-15-2007, 06:07 PM
Yes, PETA believes that most pets should be euthanized. I used to volunteer for a dog rescue group and one time our group assisted with a mass rescue, something like 60 or 70 dogs. One of the members requested the assistance of PETA with this rescue effort (not knowing their stance on keeping pets). PETA said that all they could offer was 60 death kits, etc.., Our group member told them they were misunderstood, that these animals were not beyond help. PETA again responded that all they could help with was morgue kits. Unbelievable!

Drumachine09
03-15-2007, 08:56 PM
Yes, PETA believes that most pets should be euthanized. I used to volunteer for a dog rescue group and one time our group assisted with a mass rescue, something like 60 or 70 dogs. One of the members requested the assistance of PETA with this rescue effort (not knowing their stance on keeping pets). PETA said that all they could offer was 60 death kits, etc.., Our group member told them they were misunderstood, that these animals were not beyond help. PETA again responded that all they could help with was morgue kits. Unbelievable!

The E in peta must stand for Euthanasia.....darn PETArds.

Sasquatch
03-16-2007, 12:28 PM
PETA is reknowned for extremist position like that.

What I find really funny is when it blows up in their faces. :19:

One particularly memorable incident happened in Vancouver. PETA put up billboard ads stating that when you eat porc sausages, you don't know what is actually going into the sausages. At any other time people would have thought of snouts, intestines and other disgusting pig parts.

But at this particular time, there was a murder investigation where the accused was owner of a pig farm and was suspected of using the processing equipment to get rid of the bodies of 20-30 prostitutes.

Let's just say that the public didn't digest the ads!

james20
12-31-2009, 01:12 AM
Peta is just....
I'm not even going to say it

PETA is reknowned for extremist position like that.

What I find really funny is when it blows up in their faces.

One particularly memorable incident happened in Vancouver. PETA put up billboard ads stating that when you eat porc sausages, you don't know what is actually going into the sausages. At any other time people would have thought of snouts, intestines and other disgusting pig parts.

But at this particular time, there was a murder investigation where the accused was owner of a pig farm and was suspected of using the processing equipment to get rid of the bodies of 20-30 prostitutes.

Let's just say that the public didn't digest the ads!

Now THAT is sickening!!

Oscar_freak12321
12-31-2009, 01:21 AM
Old thread. Be careful not to stir up too many old threads, people can get a bit annoyed on that lol.

little hawaii
12-31-2009, 04:04 AM
http://www.peta.org/factsheet/files/FactsheetDisplay.asp?ID=30

When will they learn that, even though everyone is entitled to their opinion, they are not entitled to anyone giving a rats arse?

There hearts are in the right place, but I believe it will fall to the next gen. of aquarists to save some of the worlds fish es from the gone forever line of fire. newby aquarists should be applauded not condemed.

:11: :11: HNY :11: :11:

souly
12-31-2009, 04:29 AM
Its sad that PETA does take a stance on "not owning pets at all" because many animals would in fact die without help of humans. I couldn't believe how when President Obama swatted at a fly enraged them.

Also, plants are techinally living things, and they don't seem to care about eating them.

james20
12-31-2009, 02:50 PM
Its sad that PETA does take a stance on "not owning pets at all" because many animals would in fact die without help of humans.
Yes, I totally agree. How is this organization legal?

Lady Hobbs
12-31-2009, 03:02 PM
This thread is two years old. You can set your options so these old threads are not popping up.

dragoonwoman
12-31-2009, 03:12 PM
"...you should check with a fish supply store for information that is specific to the type of fish that you are keeping."

Like the morons at the lfs are going to give you the RIGHT answer!! I've had to walk away more than once when in the lfs, because what the clerk was telling another customer got me SO MAD!

PETA is like many such organizations - it has its good people and good intentions, and it has its radical zealots who are out to impose their misinformed thinking on anyone who crosses their path. Makes me think of the classic mob scene in movies - Light the torches! Run through the streets! Burn, kill, destroy!

Insane....

***EDIT*** Didn't know this thread was so old, but PETA is still out there, messing where they shouldn't be. People are getting wise to their tactics now, at least.

Deleted User
12-31-2009, 03:31 PM
PETA would detest what all of us do since they are against animals (fish included) being kept by people in any capacity.

I am pretty sure my dogs, cats, fish and horses are very happy to see me so many times a day as I care for, clean up after, feed, and give them love.

PETA is really, really far out there... It's their right to be so completely wrong (to loosely quote Dennis Miller), but there are not very many animal lovers who see eye to eye with PETA...

gadget228
12-31-2009, 03:49 PM
"...you should check with a fish supply store for information that is specific to the type of fish that you are keeping."

Like the morons at the lfs are going to give you the RIGHT answer!! I've had to walk away more than once when in the lfs, because what the clerk was telling another customer got me SO MAD!

I'm sure that there are good LFS that know what they are talking about but it's not mine, have yet to get a correct answer on anything.

PETA is like many such organizations - it has its good people and good intentions, and it has its radical zealots who are out to impose their misinformed thinking on anyone who crosses their path. Makes me think of the classic mob scene in movies - Light the torches! Run through the streets! Burn, kill, destroy!

Couldn't agree with you more here, a few bad apples....

Insane....

***EDIT*** Didn't know this thread was so old, but PETA is still out there, messing where they shouldn't be. People are getting wise to their tactics now, at least.

I'm also a Pisces :19:

dragoonwoman
12-31-2009, 04:00 PM
If my horses and cats are SO UNHAPPY to be kept by me - WHY DO THEY COME RUNNING THE MOMENT THEY HEAR MY VOICE???

We have two wild cats who shelter in our garage (parents of the litter we rescued in April), and they sure don't look very glad to be living "free."

My fish come up to the front glass when I walk by. If they hated their surroundings, or were stressed, they would HIDE!

All my animals tell me, as plainly as if they spoke words - "We love you, you take good care of us, we want to be near you always."

Jill - I'm sure you "hear" the same from your menagerie!

PETA BE DAMNED.

james20
01-01-2010, 05:36 PM
when will peta learn...... ITS CALLED THE FOOD CHAIN!!!!!!

Aeonflame
01-06-2010, 08:45 PM
It upsets me the way PETA makes people who actually and sincerely care about animals look bad. It seems like every person who cares about animal rights nowadays automatically becomes some sort of PETA nutjob in everyone's eyes.

edit.. oops.. just saw this was ancient thread

HorrorShowRot
01-09-2010, 01:07 AM
Allrighty SO Peta can suck it anywho. One anyone think of how much BS they put out like that causes people to panic maybe throwing the fish into the local waterways and shizit. Or getting rid of animals just to the wild because "Its wrong to have pets" I wonder when peta will realize that dogs have been around even before peta was around dogs are still there obviously dogs+people are good togetherxD People have kept fish for a while obviously not all the fish are dead.. And hell sure I dont agree with mass stocking a tank or injecting fish. But its a simple hobby and or enertainment whatever you want to call it. I read an article how Peta flipped on a small fishing town because they threw the carcasses of a fish around. But in reality they most are vegetarians plants have feelings. Sure they dont really have a brain.XD But if you shine light on a plant it will open or move towards the light. Sure might just be the plant But what if its not. There eating a living creature.. Omagawd now peta cant eat and hopefully they all die out. Its one organization that needs to be wiped off the face of the planet. Really the organization is built upon a giant septic tank and bull shiz is seeping through every orfus of there wretched bodies. :14:

Tetris
01-20-2010, 02:29 PM
Actually... And this is gonna make some people lol... PETA does have policies about eating plants, as well as animals...

Basically PETA says that you shouldn't eat any plants that have been grown on a mass-producing farm... Because farms take up land that actually belongs to animals, not us.

So PETA's stand on food is that we should only be eating food that we've grown ourselves at home, or food that we've salvaged from dumpster diving that would have been thrown away otherwise.

That's exactly how I want to live my life, right? Grow lights in every room of the house, nowhere to sit down, starvation if my plants ever got a disease, and picking through people's garbage for food... Might as well be homeless... Least that way I wouldn't have to worry about working and taxes...

annageckos
01-20-2010, 05:07 PM
I know this is an older thread. But. I do agree with Tetris, I would love to be able to be completely self sufficient. But I can at this point. I love animals, I have a pasion for them. But I also understand that I am an omnivore. I eat plants and animals. That is the way people are. I do believe that the animals should be treated as humanly as possible and would like to one day be able to raise my own food. Or at least some of it. Peta's policies are that NO animals should be in captivity. Not cats, dogs, fish or anything at all. I have a report somewhere that shows the numbers of animals peta takes in to thier shelter and the numbers put down. It is staggering. They put down more animals that city shelters do all because they thing that animals(dogs, cats ect) are better off dead than in a home. I believe the numbers where something like less than 100-150 dogs where adopted out of the 1000's that the took in.

Bristley
01-20-2010, 05:26 PM
Now I don't know much about PETA and how exactly their organization is structured, but I assume they have accumulated some (probably very large) amount of money to further their goals.

If they truly think this is an issue that needs to be dealt with they could make a big difference.

For example, again assuming they have the funds, they could create several jobs (this would also help to stimulate the economy) where people who are knowledgeable in the art of fish husbandry and aquariums could be inspectors/regulators (all of this would also require some government regulations on the aquarium industry). These inspectors could travel around a designated area of their country and "police" the LFS's, ensuring that they maintained everything up to the aforementioned regulations.

Additionally, they could provide training services for those on the supply end (LFS's, breeders, etc) to ensure that the people harvesting, breeding, and selling the equipment and livestock were not only following regulations, but knowledgeable, and able/willing to selling their product responsibly (i.e. not letting mom & dad buy little timmy the 5 gallon aquarium and 25 goldfish to go in it).

souly
01-20-2010, 05:36 PM
PETA would never do that. Their intent is to have NO pets. NOTHING in captiviity. Also, as everything i've seen on them anyway, they would rather just kill as a way to save the fish.

sunfishman
02-12-2010, 05:44 PM
this may be a bit late but PETA must just take the lowest of the low pet shops and think there the gold standard for pet shops. an arowana ina 10 gallon (how is that possible) is different from a shool of danios and such in a 55 gallon. PETA acts like taking captive breed animals and giving them a safe home is a horrible crime, where leting a species go extinct is more noble. theres a name for that: complete apathy for the environment. now i dont support selling of lear's macaws or jaguars as pets, when they are hardly seen anywhere in the world, but if a species, say the timber wolf; goes extinct in the wild, how else would we bring it back but by breeding zoo stock? PETA is just a group of radicals and '60s burnouts looking for something to do.

raulfd4
03-02-2010, 09:16 PM
Come to think of it, why wouldn't a fish want to live in a tank? There are no predators out to get them, they get fed regularly, their every need is taken care of and they don't have to work for it, most have never even seen a stream or river.

Agreed. This could be said for any animal that is kept properly in captivity. Any animal's primary concern is food, safety from predators and perhaps the opportunity to successfully procreate. The concept that animals need or particularly care for "open space" or "freedom" beyond their daily exercise requirements is something that humans project upon these animals.

tori.lock
06-07-2010, 09:08 PM
I think my favorite thing about that article, is how it suggests a number of times to talk to the store employees about the specific care for the fish, which we all know is a death trap for the fish. And not to mention, after them saying that pet stores are more or less evil.

Pele
06-09-2010, 05:12 AM
Now honestly, I hate PETA, but you guys have to at least give them credit for having good fishkeeping facts about ph and such at the end

Sarkazmo
06-09-2010, 08:06 AM
Old thread but I'd like to reiterate:

PETA is the DEVIL!

Sark

Lady Hobbs
06-09-2010, 03:51 PM
Closed thread so these old threads are not brought to life again!