PDA

View Full Version : )*&*(&%&^(*&^(*&%$

Sarkazmo
06-20-2009, 09:07 PM
I just managed to kill one of my male VT betta. Was cleaning his tank and he got sucked into the hose, I immediately got him out but it was too late.

I'm about ready to just give up on aquarium...

Wild Turkey
06-20-2009, 09:08 PM
I'm about ready to just give up on aquarium...

If I had a dollar for everytime Ive heard that.

The hobby can be frustrating, and requires a lot of patience no matter how deep you delve.

Sorry for you loss:11: , but these things do happen. All we can do is try to learn from our mistakes

William
06-20-2009, 09:22 PM
Sorry for your loss. But if you think about it I am sure you will find that hobby gives more than it takes even if it feels hard sometimes.

Jaster
06-20-2009, 09:43 PM
I've done that a few times... the nosey little buggers don't leave they python alone. Don't give up though...

Sorry for your loss though...:scry:

Sarkazmo
06-20-2009, 10:30 PM
He was beautiful... purple and orange... I'd never seen one like him. He'd built a huge bubble nest over the past two days. I wanted to mate him when the girls got big enough. All that's lost now.

I think I'll just go back to bed and be done with this day.

Sark

mrs fishpatrick
06-20-2009, 10:33 PM
sorry to hear that

Northernguy
06-20-2009, 11:25 PM
Thats why I still use buckets with my gravel cleaner! I can pick out the fry or any other fish that get sucked up!
I am sorry to hear about yours!

rich311k
06-20-2009, 11:33 PM
I am sorry for the loss. Things like that do happen. Don't give up.

mac
06-20-2009, 11:46 PM
Sorry for your loss. This type of thing happens to the best of us. And it is not nice.

But it does happen. Practice helps to solve this. For fish like bettas always have your finger on the end of the syphon is you are using a syphon to bucket type thing. So if the betta comes near the syphon you can stop the syphon stopping him her getting hurt.

If not and it is some other type of system, place a small mesh over the syphon. That will help keep the bettas safe in future.

mac

Sarkazmo
06-21-2009, 12:58 AM
I had my finger on the far end, it was also clamped down a bit to not allow full flow. He was just the right size to just fit in the tube. The siphon pulled him about a foot into the tube. It happened so (*&(*&^(^&^))* fast! I had to let the water push him back out. He went into spasms and that was it. He was gone. He was completely healthy, next moment he was dead. I know it happens, I know it was an accident but I f'd up and it cost him his life.

Sark

metallspuerhunde
06-21-2009, 03:31 AM
My condolences. I know how it feels. My situation involved a clutch of fertile eggs. Try not to beat yourself up too much over it.

Sarkazmo
06-23-2009, 08:02 PM
Thanks to everyone for your kind words. I'm dealing with it and feeling better. I've taken steps to make sure that it never happens again.

Sark