PDA

View Full Version : Jaster's 55G Angel Tank

Jaster
06-20-2009, 06:15 PM
Well I finally got the Angel tank up and going!! I spent the better part of the day getting everyone moved from the main tank. That took a while... But I half filled the tank with the water from the main tank and filled the rest with tap. I also took media from the Emperors in the main tank and used them for this tank. So far with this mornings test everything is holding steady. The Ph is a bit on the high side at 7.6-7.8. No clue why... we'll see what happens in the next few days.
Everyone seemed to do ok through the move from the main tank though. A little spooked at first but a few bloodworms got everyone out of hiding... lol.

I decided to go with an Asian type theme. Sort of Zen Garden scene. I still have a lot to do to the background and decor though. I just grabbed a few things at petsmart so there would at least be something in there. I found some really cool white tuffa(sp?) rock that I'm planning on picking up next week or so and setting that along the back of the tank. I might put a row of different height bamboo in front of that. Maybe some of those small flat stones and make a pattern in the sand.

I also picked up two new addition for the tank. The first is another BN and the other is juvie Koi Angel.
Everyone seems to be getting along pretty well. A few short chases but thats about all. Everyone is trying to pick out new homes... lol

Equipment is pretty basic right now. I might upday the hood to an all glass and update the cheapo lights. We'll see.

single tube perfect-a-strip 40W light with a 50/50 bulb
Emperor 400
Visitherm 250W heater.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cooper25/55%20Gallon%20tank/P1030059.jpg

Jaster
06-20-2009, 06:16 PM
Well last night the Angels got their first real dose of live food. I needed to make some room in the fry tank so the Mollys I have there (who won't be food) can grow out some more so I can get them to the main tank or trade them with my fish guy. So out came the 15 guppy fry.
I have to admit it was kind of cool to watch the horror that followed. lol
I placed the fry in all at the same time and in the same spot and they all bunched together. Normally I would think safety in numbers but soooo wasn't the case here. lol My largest Angel "Beauty" came ripping through the group with her mouth open and I'm pretty sure she got at least 3 in her first pass. Shipped around and went back through the group taking one more. The fry scattered only to find no place to hide in this very open new tank and there were Angels in every corner. At least half the group was gone in seconds. For the next couple minutes it was mad dashes through the tank as the remaining fry ran for their lives. In under 5 minutes it was all over.
I felt bad for them but I couldn't help being amazed by the hunt and honestly a little entertained by it... lol
Everyone in the house was around the tank. Even though there were a few "eewwws" from the girls they were glued to the tank. It was funny to listen to the "run guppy run... no don't go ever there!!" They were so hopeful that someone might find a place to hide and made me promise that if one survived the hour I would take him out and he would be "Lucky2". lol
The boys... well... their boys. They were rooting for the Angels and were rather disappointed when the tank didn't turn blood red... Then they wanted to add one fry at a time and keep track of who was the best hunter/killer in the tank... I have twisted kids...
One thing I found rather cool was the pack hunting mentality the Angels had. I watched 3 Angels take a group of 5 fry and trap them in bottom corner. 2 from either side and one from above. What really blew my mind was that an Angel would dive in and grab a fry then back out a little. Then the next Angel would go in grab a fry and return, then the 3rd did the same. Then it went back to the first Angel (who also was the biggest of that group) and took the last two. I was amazed by the precision and how organized it seemed to be.
Next time I'm going to have to set up the video camera for this.

Jaster
06-20-2009, 06:17 PM
Did the next round of testing in the angel tank. So far so good. Nitrates are about 5-10, nitrites are 0, and ammonia was between 0-0.25. I did a quick 25% water change and retested. Ammonia was at 0 and nitrates had only dropped to a solid 5. works for me.

Everyone seems to be getting along well enough. Though I do think I need a few more corners. With not have the background rock and caves yet there seems to some debate on who's taking what spot. That will be solved soon enough though once I get some plants in there.

But so far so good!

bushwhacker
06-20-2009, 08:12 PM
tank looks good jaster, a bit too symetrical for me.. but still nice

Northernguy
06-20-2009, 08:34 PM
Very nice tank!
You could make it more challenging for your angels to eat with a bit floating plant in there!The fry will live a few seconds longer too. lol

Jaster
06-20-2009, 09:41 PM
tank looks good jaster, a bit too symetrical for me.. but still nice

I was thinking that too... thats ok it will do for now until I can the rock and plants in there.

Whats a few more seconds? :hmm3grin2orange:

jackson17
06-20-2009, 09:45 PM
How many can you fit in a 55 gallon when full grown? I wanna do this once I free up my 55 gallon. Tanks looks amazing to. I love how clear it is and the aqua scaping

PostalPenguin
06-20-2009, 10:21 PM
Looks good. My tigers love fry too, I definitely think it makes the fish happier.

bushwhacker
06-20-2009, 10:46 PM
tick tick tick.... the seconds keep flyin by lol..... wheres the pics bud??

Jaster
06-23-2009, 01:29 PM
WOOHOO I've tested the water all week and it's still perfect!! no ammonia and no nitritres! the nitrates are holding steady at 10. Gotta love used media. thumbs2:

So far everyone is getting along well too for the most part. I need to get some plants in the tank though. I hope to be able to do that this week. I'm still having a hard time finding white stone to use though. I did find some white tufa stone that might do but the pieces are pretty small... was hoping to find something a bit bigger...
Any suggestions?

robflanker
06-23-2009, 01:33 PM
I'm still having a hard time finding white stone to use though. I did find some white tufa stone that might do but the pieces are pretty small... was hoping to find something a bit bigger...
Any suggestions?

FINALLY! Glad you got this going thumbs2:

Try a rock/gravel place, thats where I got some stuff from

Jaster
06-23-2009, 05:23 PM
Just for you rob! lol

Well I just found out (after a spiffy call to the town to confirm my tests at home were telling me) the town has added "purifiyers" to the city water. Would have been cool if they let us know. But hey... we're just the people right?

Anyway... so now I'm stuck with a 7.6ish ph. Not a huge deal but still pisses me off. The main tank has always been 7.8 because of the background so no biggie there but my guppy, fry, and Angel tanks have gone up from 7.2ish. I just don't want the increase to hurt my fish... if I had known about this BEFORE it happened I wouldn't have done such large water changes over the weekend. Could have brought the fish up slowly... but no... *insert long list of swears here... then make a few up...* Grrrrr.....
Anyway...

on the plus side... I found some white Fuller Honeycomb rock and some white tufa stones at one of the local fish stores. The store said the honeycomb rock would bring my ph up to 7.6 - 7.8... so I didn't buy any. So now I figure this all out and it looks like it's going to be there anyway so... I'm buying stone this week to make myself feel better! lol :hmm3grin2orange:

Crispy
06-23-2009, 05:32 PM
some nice chunks of driftwood will probably bring your pH down a bit... angels dig the tannins too!
Nice tank BTW! thumbs2:

Hailey
06-23-2009, 10:11 PM
I love the asian zen theme! Cant wait to see what other decorations you put in there!

jackson17
06-23-2009, 10:26 PM
Love it. Are they all going to stay in there?

Goodbye
06-23-2009, 10:27 PM
Looks like a nice set up! Good Job! thumbs2:

Jaster
06-24-2009, 01:18 AM
Thanks all!!

Love it. Are they all going to stay in there?

I think thats going to depend on who pairs up and if these guys atart to get aggressive towards each other. Most of them have been together since they were a month old so they're pretty much use to each other. I would like to keep them all in there but if I end up with a solid 6 I'll be thrilled. The remaining can always be moved back to the main tank.

I can't wait to finish this either. Now I just need to come up with something to do with the rocks I'm getting and try to make some nice cave out of them. I also found some more bamboo plants that are in all kinds of shapes and groups. The other thing I want to do is take some of the small colored flat stones and make some kind of pattern in the sand. Should be fun to do.
I just have to buy small pieces at a time so I don't get into trouble... :hmm3grin2orange:

Taurus
06-24-2009, 04:42 PM
I just have to buy small pieces at a time so I don't get into trouble... :hmm3grin2orange:

Trouble? Just because you can't buy groceries for the week because you spent all that money on aquarium stuff doesn't mean you're in for trouble.

You could always eat NYLONS. :jumpeveryone:

Jaster
06-24-2009, 04:49 PM
Beast is getting pretty defensive of his and Beauty's corner. He isn't bitting anyone but he's got a hell of a head butt and won't think twice about chasing the others the whole length of the tank. lol. He has pretty much taken over the right side of the tank from the filter tube to the glass. lol

I placed a couple pieces of rainbow slate in the corners last night. Doesn't go with the tank but owell it will do for now. I honestly think they have the filter tube in mind for their nest. I went to touch the tube and both of them were right there nipping at my hand. I thought about moving the filter but I don't want to tick them off and miss a first spawning. so if that where they go... I guess I'll cope.

Their reproductive organs are sticking out now too. So I'm expecting some kind of activity soon. I hope they do this when I'm awake so I can get some cool pictures!

Jaster
06-24-2009, 04:53 PM
Trouble? Just because you can't buy groceries for the week because you spent all that money on aquarium stuff doesn't mean you're in for trouble.

You could always eat NYLONS. :jumpeveryone:

Hey everyone in the house said they wanted to go on a diet anyway. If we don't have the money to waste on food then we can eliminate the problem all together! I'm just trying to help!! :hmm3grin2orange:

Fishesses
06-24-2009, 10:46 PM
Lemme grab some peanuts and a spot by the tank. :fish: We are thinking of Angel Fish for our next tank.

What's more important for Angels, tank width or tank depth?

Jaster
06-25-2009, 12:17 AM
I think depth is more important because of their over all height.

I'm really glad I did the Angel only tank.

jackson17
06-25-2009, 02:06 AM
Think I might try this also =D. How many you think I could throw in a 125 gallon, 6 foot long, 24 inches tall lol.

Jaster
06-25-2009, 02:29 AM
Well I have 8 in my 55 right now. 6 Juvies and 2 adults. I'm planning on 6 when they are full grown. You could get away with quite a few younger ones... lol I would guess 8ish good sized Angels.

Well I have the divider in and boy are Beauty and Beast pissy about it. I think they like that their sort of confined to quarters. Beast was head butting the divider when I first put it in... lol. They've mellowed out a bit but I can tell they aren't thrilled. They have a 1/3 of the tank to themselves I don't know what they're complaing about. lol

jackson17
06-25-2009, 02:30 AM
God I need to move into my new house! I have a 125 gallon and 50 gallon breeder just waiting...FOR FREE!

Jaster
06-28-2009, 03:08 AM
Well things are slow in the Angel tank. Beauty and beast are going through the motions but I don't think they quite have this spawing thing down yet. (then again what youngster ever has a clue their first time?? lmao) They've been picking at each other and at my filter tube but they haven't laid any eggs. I'm wondering if the divider I put in bothered them... They really don't seem to enjoy not having full run of the tank. Beast keeps headbutting the thing. lol I'm debating taking it out and just seeing what happens.
I'm also curious if they just need some more plants or something. The tank is still pretty open. I need acouple weeks to get plants and rocks though so they are going to have to deal for a bit.
Still the tank is going very well. No ammonia, no nitrites, and between 5-10 nitrates. Water is holding steady at a comfy 82* and is crystal clear. Everyone is getting along very well! Can't complain about that! thumbs2:

Wetpets
06-28-2009, 03:18 AM
What's more important for Angels, tank width or tank depth?

First off Jaster, Nice looking tank and fish you have there...

Regadring your Question Fishesses... depth is important (work on an absolute minimum of 175% their full grown height (fin tip to fin tip), but if you want them to thrive, 250% thier height. But I can't stress enough that surface area (topwater) is even more important - especially for a fuller, well stocked tank. Where 'most' fish will secrete a hormone to inhibit growth (loaches are famous for it, goldfish too) Angels are less suceptible to it and will quickly outgrow a smaller water column.

Ooooh, I love angels!

Jaster
06-28-2009, 03:26 AM
Thanks!

They are a great fish. A bit complicated here and there though... Not in a bad way though. Learned a ton about them (and a lot more about fish in general) in the past few months and raising the group I have has just been a great time. They to just have their own way to do things.

Wetpets
06-28-2009, 03:58 AM
Here's one of my 90g's... It's more riverine as I wanted to go for a nature look - and yes, maintenance day is today!!!!! LOL

http://www.detoursa.co.za/90g.jpg

Jaster
06-30-2009, 03:31 AM
Nice looking tank wetpets. thumbs2:

Well I got sick of the divider an took it out today. All of the fish instantly grouped together in the center of the tank and were brushing up against each other. It was seriously the oddest thing I've seen them do...lol After about 5 minutes everyone spread back out and went to their spots. What's funny is that the Beauty and Beast are still in their spot and the others are pretty much leaving it alone. Its like the divider taught them where their boundary line was. Even Midnight (the PITA Angel) is respecting their space. After watching these guys it really makes me wonder how smart they really are. Everything they do seems so organized.

Jaster
07-10-2009, 02:06 PM
Things have gone a lot better since I took that divider out. Everyone seems a lot happier now. I still haven't gotten any eggs yet though... Kind of bummed about that but all in time as nature takes it's course I guess. With my luck everyone will lay eggs at the same time and I'll end up with thousands and thousands of fry... lol

I also rearranged the tank a bit and added some rocks to the tank. Fuller honeycomb rock. It's a beautyful white rock with tons of nickle to quarter sized holes through it. It almost looks like a block of swiss cheese. The bristlenose absolutely loves the stuff. I got 3 good sized pieces and made a nice pile in the middle of the tank. I want to get some more of the stuff and make a type of cave system with it but at $3 a pound thats going to be the type of thing I'll have to do over time.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cooper25/55%20Gallon%20tank/P1030540.jpg

Last but not least, I added two more juvie Kois. The first is a very tiny two month old. He's in between a nickle and a quarter in size but has some beautiful markings. He's also a super vail!! So I can't wait to see how he.. or she... looks when it gets older. He has a nice solid black patch over one eye that reminded me (and the boys) of a pirate patch. So he's been named 'Jack' after the infamous Jack Sparrow. It was nice to be able to name a fish something that wasn't from Finding Nemo... lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cooper25/55%20Gallon%20tank/P1030563.jpg

The next new add is a bit bigger and about 6 months old. He's litter bigger then a quarter in size and is also a super vail!! (It was a good score at the fishguy's shop!) He has this awesome looking black stripe through his tailfin and just overall great coloring. He doesn't have a name yet but I'll come up with something.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cooper25/55%20Gallon%20tank/P1030508.jpg

I'm also considering getting rid of the mirror blue background. The reflections seem to be bothering the Angels a bit. Every now and they they'll go after their own reflections. I don't want to go black but I would like something on the darker side to off set the white sand and stones. I still haven't found anything that really goes with the Asian theme I am trying to stick with. I also want to add some more colorfull plants. I'll probably just stick to fake for now... I still haven't made up my mind on the whole live plant thing.

Wetpets
07-12-2009, 06:32 AM
Regarding the background - I found this pic which you could probably have printed for cheap at a local print shop - and maybe matt laminated.

http://images.nciku.com/sourcing_images/11/11045_getty_20080128162500.jpg

Fits with the asian theme well?

Wetpets
07-12-2009, 06:34 AM
Another one here http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/06/Jrballe_bamboo_forest_Susukinobabacho_001.JPG

and not so green. This one has a nice sense of depth.

Jaster
07-12-2009, 07:16 PM
Awesome pics Wetpets!! That would work perfect!

Wetpets
07-13-2009, 04:43 AM
Erm. On closer inspection that second pic has some graffiti on it. I can clone it out for you if you like and send again...

Wetpets
07-13-2009, 04:56 AM
Also a great site (I'll post this in the photo section too) is www.sxc.hu where I am a contributing photographer. It's a free resource that shares high res pics. You may be able to browse or find a cool background there. You will need to register...

My user is cx_ed, hope you enjoy the site.

bushwhacker
07-13-2009, 04:55 PM
Also a great site (I'll post this in the photo section too) is www.sxc.hu where I am a contributing photographer. It's a free resource that shares high res pics. You may be able to browse or find a cool background there. You will need to register...

My user is cx_ed, hope you enjoy the site.

just registered on that site, and grabbed the coolest background for my desktop... thanks for the linkthumbs2: