PDA

View Full Version : Fish harassing my snail!

Thalassae
06-20-2009, 05:03 PM
I have a tank-full of baby platies, all sizes, and they recently started nibbling at my apple snail! Not just her antennae, but also her foot. It got to the point where she couldn't come out of her shell at all, because the fish were there waiting to continue nibbling her. She started to seem very sick, her color was off and she just sat at the bottom of the tank, up-side down, hiding.

We removed her from the main tank and put her in the "sick bay". She seems to be doing just fine now, but we don't want to put her back in the main tank again. Is there anything I can do about this? The baby fish don't seem to want to eat the snail, they just peck at her as if she had food stuck to her foot.

robnepper
06-20-2009, 06:03 PM
They may be going after her slime coat. My ameca splendens are still juvenile and seem to bugger with my zebra snail in that same fashion once in a while. I think that's what they are doing.

teddscau
12-23-2009, 12:05 AM
Try putting the snail in a jam jar or something with lettuce (if it fits) Rinse it really well and plop it in the tank. Take the ring off the top and replace the cap with mesh from from a old carbon baggy. Let the apple snail stay in their for a while. If it doesn't fit in the jar feed the fry bloodworms or something to make the full and a little sluggish.