PDA

View Full Version : Rob's low budget 50 gal build.

robnepper
06-20-2009, 04:35 PM
Well, this is it. I was wondering a while ago when i was finally going to get a 4' tank. Then, a buddy phones me out of the blue becuase he thought he remembered me talking about fish. He tells me that he's got a 4' tank that he just picked up and that he doesn't really want and that if I want it it's mine. Free. I bet, since you are reading a new build thread, you can guess how the converstaion went on from there. I will post some pics of the new stuff as is in a while. The best and most exciting part for me is the free python I got out of the deal!!!!

Now to decide on fish. Looking at the tank, it's long and narrow. I was thinking discus. Then, upon researching, I discovered they don't like a lot of outside traffic and are sensitive to vibration,( running screaming toddlers) and quite high maintenance. They are still on the wish list, but maybe later. Then I thought Oscars, but to me, a 50 gal is just too small for them once you add plants, which they will torment to now end anyhow. Then I thought angels, but no one seems to recommend keeping them in the numbers that I would like to see. It's either 1 or a pair, then we are into breeding aggression and the like and I would ideally like to see 6 or 7, just for looks. So now I'm thinking that it's going to be either some Malawis or Tanganikas or tetra schools. I have always wanted a big tank full ( 100 or so ) of Neons. That would look amazing with lots of plants and some black water. Or perhaps some Congos. They are beauties and would look great as well. I change my mind daily, of course, but I think it will be Congos.

As for the low budget part, the tank was free and I will be looking for cost effective solutions to setting it up. There will be some DIY stuff and probably some new stuff too. It should be fun but it will be a slow build. Finances will dictate it as such. Plants will be low to moderate lighting requirements with eco-complete, liquid ferts and maybe some laterie. Filtration will most likely be another Marineland C sereis canister. I could run it now on the existing equipment though. It will probably be an open top concept.

The stand will be semi custom as the cabinet we bought were for a display in a store both cabinets cost 50.00 and they have a retro feel to them. They will most likely end up black. I will have to modify them with bracing and some trim but that's no problem.

domjd05
06-20-2009, 04:42 PM
Discus and angelfish are great south american cichlids but there are many other south american cichlids that will be very at home in a 50g!! Just a suggestion

Sharkman
06-20-2009, 05:00 PM
sounds like a fun project. Check out Blue Acaras, they are a relatively small, yet peaceful cichlid. A group of Firemouths is also a fun thing to watch. A lot budget move I always use is to take my baby java ferns from my other tanks and let them grow out in the tanks I want them. Free plants pretty much and they are pretty neat looking. Wisteria is also a good one that will regenerate itself many times over for free if kept properly. Good Luck.

robnepper
06-20-2009, 05:00 PM
Here is a pic. The stands are getting new hinges and a paint job with some minor mods to the structure.