PDA

View Full Version : Questions about rhizome plants

Owlbehere
06-20-2009, 02:28 PM
I have now some anubias and java ferns in my tank.

Anubia: The anubia came in pots and labeled Anubia Spp. I don't know what they are but I di know the name anubia lol. Anyway I didn't see a rhizome. Just small roots coming off. I slightly buried them, just enough for them not to float away but I guess when I get home from work I should tie them to something instead? I know they prefer that I just didn't have anything, I might pick up some decorative rocks today when at work. Will the stick to semi polished/polished ones?

Java fern:
My java fern is developing roots on the leaves and sending out new leaves where it is shooting the roots out?!? So there is a leaf growing roots and leaves itself. Normal?

Anomaly
06-20-2009, 02:38 PM
Java fern:
My java fern is developing roots on the leaves and sending out new leaves where it is shooting the roots out?!? So there is a leaf growing roots and leaves itself. Normal?

I believe that's how Java Ferns reproduce.

Sir Tristen
06-20-2009, 02:50 PM
Yeah, the leaves and roots are called daughter plants. You have new java ferns growing. You can take them off when they have developed some nice leaves and roots. The longer you leave them on the better.

smaug
06-20-2009, 04:19 PM
the anubis roots will adhere much better to rocks with jagged edges and nooks and crannys,wood is even better.Tie them to whatever you choose using black or green cotton thread.Done this way you will not have to remove the ties later,they will simply degrade and be mostly invisible till they do.

Sharkman
06-20-2009, 04:26 PM
the java fern daughter plants will pull off of the main leaf they are growing form really easily. You can then take those plants and replant them wherever you like. I usually rubberband a few of the small daughter plants all on one rock for about a month and then take the rubberband off and they are attacheded to the rock by then. Like was said before, the anubias will grow better with its roots out of the sand or gravel.

Owlbehere
06-21-2009, 01:58 AM
Okay I might find a new configuration for this middle drift wood and attach the anubia to it. Wow I have reproducing Java ferns so soon! Nice!

Thanks everyone greatly appreciated!