PDA

View Full Version : cycled and going out of town - what to do??

niqolas619
03-12-2007, 08:44 PM
Alright, my tank is all cycled and I got the pH right, but I gotta go out of town on Thursday for a week. There is absolutely nobody that I can get to take care of my tank. I asked this in another thread, and I am lead to believe that I shouldn't put fish in it and let the feed off of an automatic feeder because something bad could happen. Do you guys agree with this? Also, I thought of maybe putting a bunch of pellets in a mesh bag and letting that hang in the water (or I could use shrimp peels or anything else). Will this still make the huge mess that everyone is talking about when they advise against fishless cycling with food?

I really don't want to start over with my cycle. I don't want to kill any fish, but I'm also not extremely concerned that they will die. All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Chrona
03-12-2007, 09:19 PM
A baggy of shrimp skin in a filter media bag in your filter should do the trick. I've never tried this personally, but many people on the forums recommend this as opposed to the regular fishless cycling with ammonia. Lower the temp of the water too, so the bacteria won't eat through it all as quickly. Anything above 60 is fine, as bacteria tend to go dormant/die off at around 55, or so I've read.

Lady Hobbs
03-12-2007, 10:28 PM
You could toss in about 3 feeder goldfish.

niqolas619
03-12-2007, 11:00 PM
You could toss in about 3 feeder goldfish.

So if the goldfish die while I'm gone, will that cause any problems in my tank?

Drumachine09
03-12-2007, 11:02 PM
The decaying fish will also produce ammonia, so its pretty much a win win situation.

niqolas619
03-12-2007, 11:07 PM
Ok, I think I'm gonna try that route. It'd be nice if they didn't die, but I'll be happy as long as I don't have to re-cycle my tank.

Rue
03-12-2007, 11:10 PM
...killing a fish needlessly is win-win? :confused:

Put some extra food in the tank and let it decay while you're gone...

...letting a fish die...or ending up with fish you don't want...not so win-win from my point of view...

genitor
03-12-2007, 11:38 PM
feeder goldfish will end up getting eaten anyway if someone else purchases them, and if they live you can give them back to the lfs.

Rue
03-14-2007, 12:41 AM
...getting eaten is less stressful (and a lot faster) than swimming around in an uncycled tank...or being returned to the LFS after surviving swimming around in an uncycled tank...

...just because they're feeders doesn't mean they should be needlessly abused...