PDA

View Full Version : Small Plecos

Sarkazmo
06-20-2009, 08:10 AM
I've had a few plecos over the years but they've always been the typical plecos found in shops.

I was wondering what the smaller types of pleco are. I need a pleco that's going to stay fairly small. Any help is appreciated.

Sark

Crispy
06-20-2009, 09:06 AM
most people opt for bristlenose, rubberlip, or clown plecos for smaller tanks.

Harls
06-20-2009, 11:20 AM
Bristlenose are the best! They get around 6", which is quite a nice size, but aint gonna break the tank. The only thing I would be worried about is if your planning to put little pleco in a little tank, he's still gonna poo alot and have a big bio-load, maybe try an otto?

Northernguy
06-20-2009, 03:32 PM
Sure they poo a lot but plecos are cool fish!
I have never enjoyed the Otos near as much as a pleco!:19:

Sharkman
06-20-2009, 04:23 PM
Agreed with the other posters. The pleco shouldn't go in anything smaller than say a 40g tank. Regardless if it is 3 inches or 6 inches, 29g is too small. There are literally hundreds of small plecos out there, they are just very, very rare. bristlenose plecos will be the most common smaller plecos you will see. Many of them do not grow to 6 inches. 4-5 inches is probably more likely.

toddnbecka
06-20-2009, 05:29 PM
There are also some Hypancistrus spp that stay under 5", L333's are probably the most commonly available of them for tank-raised fish.
L129 is another small species w/out any particular dietary requirements, a relatively inexpensive import.
L204 is a popular imported Panaque species; they eat driftwood and do make a bit of a mess. Clown pleco's are similar, though they stay even smaller.
Here's a link to most of the information you'll want/need to look into any particular fish: http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/numbers.php?mode=l&thumbs=16

smaug
06-20-2009, 05:49 PM
A clown plece can easily go in a 29 gal tank.They however are not algae eaters but wood raspers so you would need to provide some form of wood,prefferably driftwood to there diet and also as a hiding place.They are an entertaining little plec,especially of you like to watch your tank at night with the lights off.They do get a bit territorial and mine can be a mean little bugger if some other fish trys to take his shrimp pellet.

Eileen
06-21-2009, 04:24 AM
I had a female Bushy Nosed Pleco that had babies last year and she was only 3" full grown. I'm now raising 4 albino bushy nosed plecos that are 1/2" and 3 brown bushy nosed plecos that are also 1/2". I love these fish. I do water changes once a week and check my water quality with a test kit and never had a problem with my water. Females will stay smaller in size then the males if you get a bushy nosed pleco. They have short fin types and long fin types that are really pretty. They do an amazing job cleaning left over food and the algae on the tanks glass and decorations. They are easy to rehome on craigslist if you find they get to big. They take awhile to grow to adult hood about 3 yrs. The one that I rehomed that was born last year was a little under 2" big. If you get one get a baby and watch it grow. That is if you don't have any big fish that might eat a tiny 1/2" BN pleco. :goldfish: :goldfish:

Drumachine09
06-21-2009, 04:34 AM
Meh, I find plecos to common. Everyone and their dog has a pleco in their tanks, and most people thing that a pleco is necessary (it isn't by any means). Otocinclus all the way.

smaug
06-21-2009, 02:37 PM
Meh, I find plecos to common. Everyone and their dog has a pleco in their tanks, and most people thing that a pleco is necessary (it isn't by any means). Otocinclus all the way.
Otos arent too far behind the common tag anymore.I find them to be bland and boring.At least many plecs have what could be called personality.My clown is pretty cool to watch.If you want a real algae eater get sae if you can find them.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-21-2009, 02:41 PM
I'll throw my vote in with the Oto idea as well. They really are great little fish. If you are looking for a good algae eater, they are hard to beat. Nice little group of 3-5 would clean the tank in no time and then need supplemental feeding.

smaug
06-21-2009, 02:49 PM
I think we have all gone a bit off on a tangent here.The op wasnt asking about algae eating ability was he?:hmm3grin2orange:

Alpo
06-21-2009, 03:09 PM
Go with a gold nugget. They are so awesome looking and grow real slowwww(slow motion sound)

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-21-2009, 03:09 PM
I think we have all gone a bit off on a tangent here.The op wasnt asking about algae eating ability was he?:hmm3grin2orange:

I was wondering what the smaller types of pleco are. I need a pleco that's going to stay fairly small. Any help is appreciated.
nope. :) Right on topic.

Go with a gold nugget. Beautiful fish but not great algae eaters though, and the smallest of the 4 species of Gold Nugget still gets 7" long

smaug
06-21-2009, 03:24 PM
nope. :) Right on topic.

Beautiful fish but not great algae eaters though, and the smallest of the 4 species of Gold Nugget still gets 7" long
Now your right on topic,thats the question he was asking,not what small algae eaterwould work for him

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-21-2009, 04:08 PM
Otos are in the Loricariid family, and thus technically qualify as plecos. LOL

smaug
06-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Otos are in the Loricariid family, and thus technically qualify as plecos. LOL
I was waiting for you,I knew you would take it therethumbs2: Of course they are,but when people ask for recomendations for plecs they are not thinking oto cats.:14: Im surprised it took you so long to remind me of there family.

Anomaly
06-21-2009, 07:48 PM
I was waiting for you,I knew you would take it therethumbs2: Of course they are,but when people ask for recomendations for plecs they are not thinking oto cats.:14: Im surprised it took you so long to remind me of there family.

We have a rubberlip pleco, and he's quite the cool fish - gets no bigger than 4 - 5 inches. You have to sneak up on him to get a close look at him as he likes to go hide when he sees movement outside the tank. LOL He's very active though and is good at eating algae when he wants to be, but our true SAE beats him hands down for the most algae consumed award.

smaug
06-21-2009, 08:38 PM
Oh I know it for sure.There are some fantastic algae eating plecs out there,neither one of mine fit that bill though.

Sarkazmo
06-22-2009, 02:16 AM
Seems I've started something here, good info peeps!

Sark

discthrower
06-26-2009, 04:37 AM
I have a rhino pleco in my 55...he gets to be about 8-10...not tiny, but not a foot and a half either.