PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER 38G Tank

Not NEW Not OLD
06-19-2009, 04:55 AM
OK
We found another idnetical 38 gal aqueon and stand tank idnetical color finish and everything so we are picking it up saturday. it is stocked with some fish, dont know what kind yet waiting on an email. was planning on having the owner donate them to a local fish store unless there is something good in there. MY WIFE has already put dibs on fish selections for this new tank. it has a magnum 350 filtration system dual tube lighting system.

My wife would like all your help with fish stocking and selection. SHE WANTS COLOR she says. the tank will probably be broken down completely to remove this blu gravel thats in it and my center piece will probably be around two more large pieces of lava rock. was contemplating all black gravel with the red lava rock and some artificial red or brown plants. ANY and all ideas will be considered. I will try and get some photos of my current setup and post them tomorrow.

Thanks in advance all.
NNNO

PS i am contemplating scrapping the magnum 350 and using two Aqueon 30 HOB's to match my first tank so all filtration units are the same. Good idea or bad.
Thanks
NNNO
:hmm3grin2orange:

Northernguy
06-19-2009, 04:59 AM
You need only post one time! :22: It will be seen! thumbs2:
If you hit new posts in the tool bar you will see them both!
Thats how most of us check posts.

Not NEW Not OLD
06-19-2009, 05:03 AM
i deleted it out of the other section northern guy. i realized this is the place to put set up and stocking questions. sorry about the dbl post.

Red
06-19-2009, 05:07 AM
It is easier for you to go to your lfs, bring a pen and paper, write down the fish you like, and ask them about them. There is lots of different fish that can go into a 38gal, so you have to break it down for us. Or search the web, but if you want some color I would look into german blue rams. I would go for the canister of the HOB anyday.

William
06-19-2009, 05:47 AM
I am sure we can be of more help when we know what fish is allready in it.

Not NEW Not OLD
06-19-2009, 01:48 PM
nothing going to start fresh! id like black gravel, i have some large red lava rock pieces with holes and i plan on using artificial plants. maybe some live plants later.
Thanks

rangur1
06-21-2009, 02:01 PM
my suggestion to is that the gravel is fine so is the rock. the filter, go with what you are comfortable with, both systems are respectable. as for fish, rainbows are an excellent color fish. they do not look like much in pet shops because they are juviniles whos color has not come in yet. mollies and swords also possess color. gouramis, pearl,dwarf blue also work well.
african cichlids are pretty but have specific requirements. good luck

Not NEW Not OLD
06-22-2009, 04:51 PM
Ty all for the great replies.

Yes there are two 38 gal tanks in my living room now lol

The second has a 55 aqueon HOB on it.

I am either going to sell the magnum 350 or use it as a polisher to use on either tank when needed. What are your opinions on using the cannister as a polishing filter only. hang on the tnak for 24 hours to help with particulates after vacuuming and such.

I have a second aqueon 550 on the way. then both tanks will be outfitted with the 55 and the 30 on each so for day tto day operations it will be well filtered.

We actually used the blue black gravel it came with and are using the red lava rocks. will plant some solid green artificial plants and am heading to the fish store today to just LOOK at some species for ideas. using the 4 gouramies to assist in cycling the tank.

Thanks love this place cant wait to become versed enough to start giving back to the community.
Thanks
NNNO

Not NEW Not OLD
06-23-2009, 04:09 AM
ok couple of possible setups here for the new 38g tank we went to a few stores today to see what the wife and i liked and this is what we cam up with. Ill list the names and you can offer to me a suggestion of how many

A. Tinfoil Barbs (already have 2)
Clown Loanches

B. Kissing Gours Have 4
Clown Loach
Kribensis
Bosemani Rainbows
Red Tail Shark.
C. German Blue Ram

Now this is the tricky part.
We saw and loved the Yellow version of the red zebra cichlid. from what ive read tonight it says to keep the mbunas in a group of ten. what else woudl i put in the tank. Id also get them very small so maybe they could mature with non cichlids...(am i dreaming here) any help thanks all
NNNO