PDA

View Full Version : Is he okay?

Owlbehere
06-18-2009, 11:54 AM
My betta normally has a very full tail. So full and large it seems to weigh him down. But this morning I noticed that the bottom of his fins are "closed" and swirled up. He wasn't as perky coming to eat but did eventually.

Water Params are - Ammonia -0 Nitrite -0 Nitrate -0 (still trying to get my seeded media to jump start this tank but don't know if it has enough bioload)
He is with 6 small harlequin rasbora in a 20g tank. The rasbora are fine and very colored up.
He just sits up at the top rested on the suction cup for the intake of the canister filter.

Gayle
06-18-2009, 11:57 AM
Humm. What is the temp??

Owlbehere
06-18-2009, 12:00 PM
Just about to post that. 74. He has a whiteish spot on the back of his tail fin either a fungus or he was nipped. He ate all of his breakfast. And is swimming back down by his favorite driftwood. I may get some fungus meds just in case and set up the quarantine tank just in case.

I have to go to work now.

Sharon
06-18-2009, 12:05 PM
I would keep the temp at 78-80...Bettas get lethargic if the temp is too low. The whitish spot may require med, so I'd quarantine and keep an eye on it.

thrakuarium
06-18-2009, 12:19 PM
I would QT and medicate for fungus based on the white spot. I highly doubt he was nipped unless he did it to himself. Harlequins just aren't nippers.

Gayle
06-18-2009, 12:20 PM
Yeah I would slowly up the temp to about 78. I agree you should go ahead and treat for fungus in a QT. There is a betta water conditioner that I use for mine, it has that tea tree stuff in, I really do not know if it does any better than the regular stuff, but it sounds good!

Northernguy
06-18-2009, 02:08 PM
I use beta fix and a WEE bit of salt for my beta when it got a fungus.
Water changes once a day.A qt tank is a must!
I hope yours is ok.

Owlbehere
06-18-2009, 10:56 PM
Okay sounds good. I've been meaning to raise the temp anyway.