PDA

View Full Version : new oscar

melanini
03-12-2007, 02:28 AM
hey all,
I've had had several oscars in the past, and realize they go though an adjustment period at first,but this new guy just wont seem to "come out of his shell." it's been over a week now and he still just caves anytime there is movement in the house. Has anybody else had an oscar that takes forever to warm up to his new family?

cocoa_pleco
03-12-2007, 02:39 AM
mine was really friendly. When he was small, as in 2 inches small, he lived in my 33g community tank, with fish as small as neons, and some large ones.
I had to sell him because he grew too fast, but im sure yours is still getting adjusted. Whats the tank size?

melanini
03-12-2007, 02:41 AM
hes currently in a 20 gallon. He is still only aprox 2" ,and will be moved once he gets a little bigger. Were wanting to move soon, so left the big55 in storage.

cocoa_pleco
03-12-2007, 02:43 AM
hes probably just still getting adjusted to the tank.

Glasstapper
03-12-2007, 05:29 AM
Maybe you could try dimmer light and adding a couple more hiding places for him for a little while to help him feel safe. I hope the guy warms up to you soon!

Fishguy2727
03-12-2007, 12:50 PM
Are there any other fish in the tank? They love good hiding spots like PVC pipe T-connectors. Those would help him feel safe. Give him some time, they are all different. What are you feeding him?

cocoa_pleco
03-12-2007, 01:24 PM
what reptileguy said. PVC pipes are really good for making hiding spots.

melanini
03-12-2007, 10:05 PM
Hes in the tank with a pleco,who stays on hiding all the time. He is currently being fed Hakari cichlid staple pellets. I plan on supplementing with live foods when he gets a little bigger.

Fishguy2727
03-13-2007, 12:01 AM
No live food. They are the best way to cause problems. They will introduce parasites and diseases, are not even close to nutritionally complete or beneficial, and increase aggression. Upgrade the quality of food you are feeding. Cichlid Bio-Gold+ is Hikari's highest quality pellet. New Life Spectrum is the best brand hands down and would be the only thing I would feed.

melanini
03-13-2007, 04:00 AM
What about throwing in the occasional nightcrawler durring the summer when they are plentiful? Strip the dirt out first.. Would that be good for him as a treat? I used to do this with my other oscars and would use them to "train" them. not as a sole food source.

Fishguy2727
03-13-2007, 02:31 PM
Still not good for them. There is absolutely no need for live food if a fish will eat pellets except when breeding. There is no need to dilute the nutrition in New Life Spectrum (NLS) or any other high quality pellet with live or other lower quality foods. I don't do it because it is risky and unnecessary.

Can you get NLS around you? If not you should try and find it online because it will be the best thing you could feed the oscar. I think they sell it on amazon.com.

TehTANK
03-13-2007, 03:34 PM
I have 2 oscars in a 90 Gallon. I am an oscar lover and have raised mine from 1 inch to 12 inches. I feed my fish the Hiarki bio plus and have swithced to New Life Spectrum. They love it. I also feed them frozen blood worms and nightcrawlers on occation for treats. They love it. I know for a fact that this is fine to do. You will not hurt or kill your oscars if you feed them the occational treat. My suggestion would to never feed them feeder fish from LFS. They can house bad parasites and what not that you can give to your oscar. I am sure you already know this but I think a nightcrawler every once in a while is fine.

BTW- I am glad there is another Oscar lover here. There doesn't seem to be to many of us.

melanini
03-13-2007, 08:43 PM
I'm definetly going to switch him to new life spectrum. I dont know if it's carried around here, but I will make it happen!:) Thanks for the hepl, suggestions, and back-up! You all are great!