PDA

View Full Version : My 75 Gallon Freshwater Community Tank!

Hailey
06-17-2009, 08:48 AM
My boyfriends aunt was never going to set up her tank, it has been sitting for a couple years, so we got it!, finally...:neutral:

Anyways we got it home and tried to clean it out. I noticed the trim on the bottom, one of the corners had broken off, and I thought it was leaking there. So I asked around on here, researched a bit on the internet, and finally took the trim off, and noticed the flaking silicone wasnt for the seal, only to hold the trim on. Phew! thank god! I didnt want to reseal the whole thing!

Heres a pic of the corner when we filled it up for leaks
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/Si7Ofd91x-I/AAAAAAAAAao/ZHky1engF9s/s288/DSCF2747.JPG
See how I thought it was leaking?

So we took off all the silicone around the bottom and top where the trim used to be. The one piece of trim is no good at all, so were going to put the piece of trim from the top, onto the bottom. We, I dont think, need any trim on the top. Its thick, 3/8", glass used for the tank, so it should be fine. Plus when we make the top, it will sort of act like trim too.

Right now the tank is out on the bottom deck, having another water test done. We cant really do anything with it inside until my boyfriend makes a stand for it. He has a plan written out, and hopefully, by the end of this weekend, it will be done...but who knows...I still have to stain it with a dark stain and everything.

Last night we were researching lighting for the tank, for HOURS!!! We dont know! We are so confused!!! LOL
We are on a tight, tight budget, so its not like we cant spend hundreds on lighting. I want at the very least, 1 WpG, but ideally I want 2-3 WpG, so therefore I need 152-228 WpG.
The only kind of lighting I've ever had was the light that came with the aquarium kits.
We found this set on ebay-
http://cgi.ebay.ca/48-4ft-Odyssea-T5-HO-Aquarium-Light-216W-Pro-Series_W0QQitemZ140326341638QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item20ac1a0c06&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A30
But its not for freshwater is it? We can hopefully order some freshwater bulbs from the companys website, but if thier going to charge too much for them, then of course we cant get this.
I know people have had problems with Odyssea, but others had had no trouble at all. So, for the price, I think were going to try it...

Anyways enough with that, as for what I'm putting into the tank, I'm not to sure yet.

Filter: AquaClear 110 and the AC50 from the convict tank when that comes down. We were going to do fluval 405, but not sure about it so we'll stick with the god old ACs

Substrate: Sand- Either play sand or pool filter sand

Plants: Live of course, but not sure what yet, I'll see what I can get a hold of and hopefully order some online.

and Fish- Hopefully a pair of German Blue Rams! and then from there, I have no idea! Im sort of limited to what I can find here!

Well thats all I can think of for now. I will be back with pictures of the stand being made next I think.
And thats it for my first Journal post!
Thanks!

PostalPenguin
06-17-2009, 02:40 PM
Check out this light: http://www.fishneedit.com/4ft4bulbs-with-l44.html

Can adjust the light with 3 seperate power cords and it has LED for just a bit more. However it is out of stock at the moment.

If you went with GBRs, how about a massive school of tetras? I think that would look awesome.

For a source of plants check out the plantedtank.net's forum's swap n' shop. They have a section for canadian members.

MonkeyPox
06-17-2009, 02:42 PM
The only thing salt water related about the light you mentioned is this bulb "2x Odyssea 54W T5 High Output Actinic Blue"
Which you could easily swap out for a 7500k or 6500k bulb.

T5s are nice, but since you mentioned you were on a budget and you didn't say you were going with a heavily planted tank, you could probably get some T8s from Wally world to suffice.

Northernguy
06-17-2009, 02:46 PM
Sounds great so far!thumbs2:
I use flourescent shop light fixtures and set them up in my DIY canopies!
Its the good bulbs that are hard to get up here.Its also easy to make a night light by adding a pull chain light fixture and NOMA blue light bulb,works great!
General GoldenEye may still have the plans from when he built his stand.You just have to make sure its built wide enough.An extra inch all the way around is always helpful to remember.

bushwhacker
06-17-2009, 02:58 PM
only thing i saw that may be a problem was removing the top trim.. the bottom isnt so much needed as you have the glass all tied together. the top doesnt have that extra strength

Hailey
06-17-2009, 07:36 PM
Wow thanks for the responses guys! You actually answered a bunch of questions I had!

If you went with GBRs, how about a massive school of tetras? I think that would look awesome.
I was thinking of a big school of neons! and I will check out those sites asap!

The only thing salt water related about the light you mentioned is this bulb "2x Odyssea 54W T5 High Output Actinic Blue"
Which you could easily swap out for a 7500k or 6500k bulb.
Ya, thats what we thought! And what about the 12000k lights that it comes with too? when would I have those on? all the time too? I heard the really bad thing with these lights is you cant just put any other t5 into them. The bulb is actually shorter! so you have to get the special ones!

Sounds great so far!
I use flourescent shop light fixtures and set them up in my DIY canopies!
Its the good bulbs that are hard to get up here.Its also easy to make a night light by adding a pull chain light fixture and NOMA blue light bulb,works great!
General GoldenEye may still have the plans from when he built his stand.You just have to make sure its built wide enough.An extra inch all the way around is always helpful to remember.

The aunt actually has thier light they used for the tank and it is a flourescent shop light fixture. I wasnt sure though if we could use it because of how many bulbs we might need and if it gets too hot. If you could let me know more about what you did that would be awesome!!!
And I will make sure my bf knows about the extra inch. He does know lots of carpentry.

only thing i saw that may be a problem was removing the top trim.. the bottom isnt so much needed as you have the glass all tied together. the top doesnt have that extra strength
Ok, well maybe we will just use the trim on the top then? The way he is making the stand, the tank is going to be "in" the stand about an inch. He says it will give lots of extra support...
Hmm, well I'll post pics of it when we do it, and see what you guys think. If we need to get another piece of trim somehow, we will.

Thanks again everyone! :thumbsup:

Red
06-17-2009, 07:37 PM
Sounds like your heading in the right track, just make sure to take your time, and do things right!

Paw Broon
06-17-2009, 08:09 PM
Will be nice to see your progress sounds like it will be a nice tank, good luck with it!

Also was just noticing in your signature you said you had 5 cherry shrimp that have had no babies yet, how long have you had them? Reason i ask is i bought 6 about a month and a half ago and no signs of babies either!

Hailey
06-17-2009, 08:15 PM
Will be nice to see your progress sounds like it will be a nice tank, good luck with it!

Also was just noticing in your signature you said you had 5 cherry shrimp that have had no babies yet, how long have you had them? Reason i ask is i bought 6 about a month and a half ago and no signs of babies either!
Ugh!!! I have had them since February! and nothing! no babies, no berries, nothing! Im like 98% sure I have males and females too. I have no idea why there are no babies. Its so frustrating!
The only thing I think I can do is buy more whenever I find them next. I might get about 6 more, depending on the price cause their pretty pricey here.

And ya, were going pretty slow with his tank, cause there's no money, lol!

Hailey
06-17-2009, 08:40 PM
Check out this light: http://www.fishneedit.com/4ft4bulbs-with-l44.html

Can adjust the light with 3 seperate power cords and it has LED for just a bit more. However it is out of stock at the moment.

For a source of plants check out the plantedtank.net's forum's swap n' shop. They have a section for canadian members.

Thank you so much for the link to the lights! Exactly what I'm looking for! I emailed them asking when they will have the lights in stock, hopefully soon! And shipping would only be about $45 too.
Thanks so much again, Im so happy I saw that!!! lol
Oha nd they give you choices for colours of the bulbs, either all white, all blue, or different mixes, what would I chose?

And hey if anyone else knows about good deals on lighting like that please let me know!

Paw Broon
06-17-2009, 08:40 PM
Ugh!!! I have had them since February! and nothing! no babies, no berries, nothing! Im like 98% sure I have males and females too. I have no idea why there are no babies. Its so frustrating!
The only thing I think I can do is buy more whenever I find them next. I might get about 6 more, depending on the price cause their pretty pricey here.

And ya, were going pretty slow with his tank, cause there's no money, lol!

It is really frustrating! that was the only thing i could think of too was adding more but everytime i check the lfs's here i find nothing. I'm going to try ordering them from ebay as a few people sell them from there. Good luck with yours, hope you get your babies soon.

Hailey
06-17-2009, 08:58 PM
It is really frustrating! that was the only thing i could think of too was adding more but everytime i check the lfs's here i find nothing. I'm going to try ordering them from ebay as a few people sell them from there. Good luck with yours, hope you get your babies soon.
Good luck to you too!

MonkeyPox
06-17-2009, 10:11 PM
Also (http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/product_info.php?cPath=71_74&products_id=1170) or this (http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/product_info.php?cPath=71_136&products_id=1652) for your consideration. Can be ordered with LEDs.

Hailey
06-18-2009, 01:26 AM
Also (http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/product_info.php?cPath=71_74&products_id=1170) or this (http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/product_info.php?cPath=71_136&products_id=1652) for your consideration. Can be ordered with LEDs.

Awesome, thanks so much for the links! But...
I now think were going to do t8 lights...
now correct me if I'm wrong...
In order to get 2-3 WpG, I would need 5 48" 40w bulbs to get 200 watts.
I could probably get away with 4 bulbs too.
Could I buy two of these...
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/3/HouseHome/Lighting/FluorescentLighting/PRD~0523241P/Double%2BFluorescent%2BWrap%2BLight%252C%2B48-in..jsp

and put in GE Daylight 6700k bulbs (about $6 for 2) ?

I see many people have done it for thier tanks. Thanks!

MonkeyPox
06-18-2009, 01:33 AM
Make sure you get some kind of cover for them.
Also, remember when comparing so-called aquarium lights and shop t8s, even with = wattage you're getting far less illumination. In addition to lumen differences, etc... notice how these lights do not contain any refractive elements on top?

All personal choice, of course, and I'm not downplaying the lights, just pointing out a few differences.

Hailey
06-18-2009, 01:47 AM
Alright, well how were making the top, were going to have a piece of glass (?) between the water and the actual lights. We were going to silicone it in if we can do that. Im just scared of it getting to hot...
and well could I use two aqua-glo lights, and two of the GE daylight bulbs to get more lumens? I want to use all aqua-glo lights, but thier a bit pricey for right now, and cant we add our own refractive elements? I saw some at my lfs and I read people add thier own...

robflanker
06-18-2009, 01:49 AM
I use the GE daylight CFL bulbs and I think they are great.

Hailey
06-18-2009, 02:03 AM
I use the GE daylight CFL bulbs and I think they are great.

Ya? well thats awesome to hear! What kind of fixture do you have them in?

robflanker
06-18-2009, 02:09 AM
I have them in my 10g hood. I swapped out the bulbs that came with the topfin kit, but I think they are great. Pics in the link in my sig - there is a before and after, sort of. The yellowy ones the old, and the cleaner ones the new.

I think they are great and def run a lot cooler than my old ones - i'd recommend them

Hailey
06-18-2009, 08:18 AM
There is no siggy, lol

Anyways here are some light options...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=350212697293

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=300322159663

http://www.fishneedit.com/t5ho-4ft--2lamp-aquarium-light.html
I think the 1 white, 1 pink?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=290324889388
I sent a message asking about 67k bulbs

What would you do?

MCHRKiller
06-18-2009, 08:31 AM
*I* would go with option #3 the Fishneedit.com 108watt T5HO...reason being the other fixtures are going to push you into needing pressurized CO2, DIYing a tank this size just is not practicle at all. The 108watts being T5 will actually give you more theoretical lighting than its rated for due to the efficiency of the T5 bulbs and you should be able to grow most common aquarium plants under that setup; ie Swords, Vals, Ferns, Crypts, Mosses, floaters and quite a few stems(stick to those low light-moderate light species).

robflanker
06-18-2009, 10:07 AM
There is a signature - you just have to go to my first post in this thread

Hailey
06-18-2009, 08:30 PM
*I* would go with option #3 the Fishneedit.com 108watt T5HO...reason being the other fixtures are going to push you into needing pressurized CO2, DIYing a tank this size just is not practicle at all. The 108watts being T5 will actually give you more theoretical lighting than its rated for due to the efficiency of the T5 bulbs and you should be able to grow most common aquarium plants under that setup; ie Swords, Vals, Ferns, Crypts, Mosses, floaters and quite a few stems(stick to those low light-moderate light species).

Alright, well then I think thats what we will go with!
Man theres a lot to choose from out there! The last two nights I went to bed dreaming about lights, lol. I learnt quite a bit though about lighting.
Thanks again for helping me out on this! I really appreciate it:11:

There is a signature - you just have to go to my first post in this thread Oh, sorry! Thanks!
And holy what a big difference! Looks way better now!

robflanker
06-18-2009, 08:35 PM
And holy what a big difference! Looks way better now!

Thanks and yeah I agree - once you see it, its like night and day. I've been recommending them to everyone now. So cheap and so much better. Good luck with your plans!

Hailey
06-18-2009, 08:37 PM
Thanks and yeah I agree - once you see it, its like night and day. I've been recommending them to everyone now. So cheap and so much better. Good luck with your plans!

Ya really eh?
Well thanks for the help!!!

Hailey
06-19-2009, 07:10 AM
We are going to be using play sand in the tank and was wondering what to use on the bottom of the tank?
Laterite? if I can find it
Vermiculite? if I can find it...

Hailey
06-19-2009, 09:13 PM
These are going to be some of the plants I want to order-

1 Anubias nana =$5
4 Echinodorus quadricostatus = $12
1 Eleocharis parvula =$8
8 stems of Heteranthera zosterifolia = $4
1 Juncus repens = $10
10 stems of Limnophila sessiliflora = $2.50
4 Pogostemon helferi = $8

What do you think? would they all do fine?

this is the site I'm ordering them off
http://www.tntaquatica.com/plant.htm

All those plants, plus 6 RCS for $18, and Shipping is only $74.88!!!
I thought it was a really good price! If I bought those from around here, (well like I would be able to find any plants like them), would prob cost aver $200

Now I have to think about Aquascaping!!!
This is a weak point for me! You can tell by looking at my 33 gal, lol
So hey, if anyone wants to plant it out for me, be my guest!!! lol
I am hopefully going to be able to find a nice piece of driftwood for in there, but so far, nothing, just a couple sticks...

Also I like rocks in the tank. I can find them outside right, and put them in there, right? (of course clean them up)
Is that what you guys did?

Sorry, I need lots of help, lol!

doug z
06-20-2009, 04:00 AM
Ok, I made it.. :)

Like I say, figure out which light you're getting, what kind of layout you want, what you have for wood and rocks, and we'll go from there..

Better to do that first, THEN assemble a plant list, IMHO..

Just getting plants and tossing them willy-nilly.. I dunno..

Wouldn't be my "process".. :)

I like the U shaped layout, too..

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll54/dougzdanivsky/goodaquascape5.jpg

But there's something to be said for no stem plants cluttering up the background and having a formidable plant or rock placed just right (at that sweet spot mentioned in those links I sent), and a bunch of complimentary carpet plants in the mid and foreground..

Iwagumi style, basically..

http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2007/02/iwagumi-and-sanzon-iwagumi-aquariums.html

That's what I want to try fro my next layout..

MonkeyPox
06-20-2009, 04:04 AM
We are going to be using play sand in the tank and was wondering what to use on the bottom of the tank?
Laterite? if I can find it
Vermiculite? if I can find it...

Just a slight recommendation- some people have problems with play sand impeding the impellers on their filters due to the small size of the sand. Instead, you may want to consider pool filter sand. At Lowes/Home Depot, they're usually the same price but slightly larger granules.

Alternatively, as you listed some plants, though its more expensive, you may want to consider one of the Seachem Flourites (http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Flourite.html). I particularly like the red and my plants have been loving it.

Hailey
06-20-2009, 04:08 AM
That actually sounds like a good plan...lol
I do the tossing in willy-nilly, lol

So I read the articles and they taught me quite a bit. I will try to find a piece of driftwood within the next couple days, and then I guess we can go from there.

Oh wow that pic is gorgeous!
I love the rock idea too...

Hailey
06-20-2009, 04:11 AM
Just a slight recommendation- some people have problems with play sand impeding the impellers on their filters due to the small size of the sand. Instead, you may want to consider pool filter sand. At Lowes/Home Depot, they're usually the same price but slightly larger granules.

Alternatively, as you listed some plants, though its more expensive, you may want to consider one of the Seachem Flourites (http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Flourite.html). I particularly like the red and my plants have been loving it.

Alright, thanks! I'll check into the pool filter sand, its just my bf can get it for about $2 for 50lbs, and i'll see if theres flourite around here, I've never seen it. and for the impeller, I was going to either use a black sponge filer on the intake, or some black nylon. I read about it yesterday a bit and thats what some people did, and I can hopefully cover it with driftwood, but we'll see.

doug z
06-20-2009, 04:12 AM
If you go with a rock focal point, make sure you get at least 3-5 more smaller ones that look EXACTLY the same, only much smaller..

Same for driftwood.. Make sure it's the same type of wood..

Hailey
06-20-2009, 04:15 AM
Ya, i read about that. Now, around here, pretty much any kind of "normal" rock I find should be safe, right?

MonkeyPox
06-20-2009, 04:19 AM
I was in Lowes today and their Pool filter sand was <5$ for a 50lb bag.

This (http://www.aquariumplants.com/Driftwood_malaysian_african_driftwood_s/142.htm) site seems to have some interesting driftwood. I can't recommend it as I've never ordered from them- hopefully another user can chime in.

doug z
06-20-2009, 05:50 AM
Ah, why settle for "normal" rocks?

Do like I did and scour the land looking for unusual, mountain-like rocks..

God, what I wouldn't give for some Japanese manten rock..

http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?main_page=afa_product_info&products_id=2

Can't source it anywhere.. :(

(well, besides the company who's link I'm citing.. But it would cost a FORTUNE to get it from the USA)..

Hailey
06-20-2009, 10:02 AM
Ah, why settle for "normal" rocks?

Do like I did and scour the land looking for unusual, mountain-like rocks..

God, what I wouldn't give for some Japanese manten rock..

http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?main_page=afa_product_info&products_id=2

Can't source it anywhere.. :(

(well, besides the company who's link I'm citing.. But it would cost a FORTUNE to get it from the USA)..

Lol! well, if I find some rocks outside, they should affect the parameters much, should they?
and I've seen rock like that here..................lol

robflanker
06-20-2009, 11:21 AM
Ya, i read about that. Now, around here, pretty much any kind of "normal" rock I find should be safe, right?

I went to a rock/gravel place and bought about 80lbs of slate for $10 - some really interesting stuff there

MonkeyPox
06-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Be careful with adding rocks. Stones that contain elements, like limestone and marble, can throw your pH to hell.
Vinegar test can usually help determine this.

Hailey
06-20-2009, 08:32 PM
Ya, I knew I was going to do the vinegar test. And good idea about going to a gravel place to find some rocks! I will hopefully check it out soon!

Hailey
06-20-2009, 08:42 PM
Update!

My boyfriend has made the structure of the stand. Today he is picking up the finish for it. So once that it done we have to sand it and finish it. Im going to go with a dark, rich coloured stain. I dont like the look of light coloured wood with a tank, I think dark stands just bring out the colours in the tank a whole lot more.

The tank is right out my door on the bottom deck, still holding water. The deck isnt wet at all anywhere so I know its not leaking!

Background- Im going to try a black one. Ive never tried a plain black one before, but its looks good in everyone elses pics! I'll prob buy one from the pet store.
I'm going to try to find a background seal like this one http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA/ctl3664/cp24851/si1967499/cl0/seaviewmountingilluminationkit
I dont think I've ever seen it around here though...

This week I also am going to find a nice piece of driftwood (or rocks) for my focal point...I cant spend $50 on a piece, so I hope I get lucky. When I find one, I will start soaking it right away to get the tannins out and make it sink.

Well thats it for the update, not much to say, I just sort of have to wait.
Thanks!

bushwhacker
06-21-2009, 12:12 AM
why buy a background get a can of spray paint and get happy

doug z
06-21-2009, 12:20 AM
I agree..

Spray painted backgounds are best (as long as your SUPER careful you don't get any paint inside the tank), as you don't have to worry about air bubbles or other spots where the background is not flush with the tank and creates annoying lighter "bubbles" all over the place..

And black is the best background and substrate colour, in my opinion..

MonkeyPox
06-21-2009, 02:22 AM
+1 for Krylon Fusion.

Hailey
06-21-2009, 04:18 AM
I sugggested it to my bf, and no way! but maybe I'll bring it up again...

Hailey
06-21-2009, 07:34 AM
Pics of the stand so far...

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/Sj3hWX4J7ZI/AAAAAAAAAck/8HAl08bOQf0/s288/DSCF2759.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/Sj3haG-vQiI/AAAAAAAAAcs/jJUGXZxvU1E/s288/DSCF2756.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/Sj3hYj3QuSI/AAAAAAAAAco/p8V00ilEIlI/s288/DSCF2758.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/Sj3heE5500I/AAAAAAAAAcw/N1z3X3La8bM/s288/DSCF2754.JPG
Hopefully tomorrow we will put the finish and doors and a shelf on it, then get it here to stain!

Harls
06-21-2009, 07:46 AM
looks good!

Hailey
06-23-2009, 05:22 AM

So we grabbed some black stain for the stand today and painted the back of the tank black. Theres a few, well actually a lot of scratches in the inside of the tank, I hope they arnet going to be as visible when theres water in there...

My bf is putting the finish on the tank, and maybe he'll get the doors on tonight too, so hopefully tomorrow I can start staining!

We still havent ordered the light...hopefully by the 1st though!
Should we get the 48", 4x65w light, or the 36" 2x96w light? thier both the same price.

And we looked at some playsand today, its pretty dark in colour, pretty gray, which I wasnt expecting to find, I thought it would all be a white-tan colour. I wanted a darker colour, but settled on white...
I have no idea if it would be safe for the tank though.

Well that is it for now! I'll hopefully get pics up of the stand tomorrow.

Hailey
06-26-2009, 04:33 AM
Woo, its almost done! all we need to do is a little sanding and staining! oh and attach the doors.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/SkROKlAA94I/AAAAAAAAAgE/OX9z_SfIYXQ/s400/DSCF2843.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/SkROMRcwAGI/AAAAAAAAAgI/ppfbGdbMHAs/s400/DSCF2844.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/SkRONEzKK_I/AAAAAAAAAgM/uXkB1pb26sE/s400/DSCF2845.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/SkROVW5GA7I/AAAAAAAAAgQ/iJPAAWwSL10/s400/DSCF2846.JPG

Paw Broon
06-26-2009, 10:55 AM
Very nice stand! Like the little shelf you've got going on there and have you put wood supports around the bottom of the tank and some wood round the top?

rich311k
06-26-2009, 11:15 AM
Nice looking stand!

bushwhacker
06-26-2009, 04:26 PM
looks very nice, kudos to your BF for some nice work

Red
06-26-2009, 04:38 PM
he did a great job on the stand, looks awesome!

Hailey
06-26-2009, 07:56 PM
Thanks Everyone! Ya, I cant believe how good it looks! Now Were not sure to stain it either black, or a mahogany???

Very nice stand! Like the little shelf you've got going on there and have you put wood supports around the bottom of the tank and some wood round the top?

ya, the tank sits on the support, or frame, and then on a piece of plywood, then the finishing wood goes around the whole frame, and it come up a bit to sort of acts like trim. On the top, we can fit the good piece of trim on the tank, then the canopy comes down about 3 inches, (but we might shorten it) then when we get the light, we'll fit it in, and maybe box the light in too.

wolf_eyes
06-26-2009, 08:54 PM
Oh either of those colors would be really nice for that stand. Black would showcase the tank better but I always love seeing the grain of the wood and a nice mahogany would look really nice as well. Does the rest of your house have a mahogany wood in it? If so it might be better to have the tank match the other pieces in your house. Otherwise, I would probably say go with black.

Hailey
06-26-2009, 09:35 PM
Ya, well I tested what they colours would look like, and I still cant decide. I like the black, it shows the grain still, it sort of looks zebra like!
An my bf likes the mahogany...
And I know, I really wanted a dark colour cause it brings out the colours in the aquarium so much better. I dont like tanks on light coloured stands.
At first I was picturing sort of a combo, of the black and mahogany. I might try to stain first with black, then with the mahogany. I'll test it, see how it looks.
My 33 gal is on a black stand, with sort of a grey/black faux marble top...
Maybe I'll take a pic of how the colours look and post em on here.
Thanks!

Hailey
06-26-2009, 11:29 PM
Here are pictures of the wood colour. Keep in mind, the black looks better in person, lol, and the mahogany will hopefully be a little bit darker. Plus those weird marks on the bottom will hopefully not be on the stand...

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/SkVZZqWp0EI/AAAAAAAAAhE/18z0Cf2kvX8/s400/DSCF2849.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/SkVZbcVsBZI/AAAAAAAAAhI/bbT6Cpcm5OY/s400/DSCF2848.JPG

I might also experiment with a mixture too...

Hailey
06-27-2009, 12:02 AM
omg, i feel like such a nerd!!! lol Im supprised I could even do this. But I used paint to see what a tank would look like with these stains...

Heres black(ish)...
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/SkVheh16yHI/AAAAAAAAAjw/4PTutmGOa78/s400/blackstand.jpg

and mahogany(ish)...I think i would try for it to be a little darker
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/SkVhfZxZ1mI/AAAAAAAAAjo/h_GwCDT3AZY/s400/mahoganystand.jpg

oh and if it matters at all the tank will be along a olive-y green wall, lol, i put it on there...

Sharon
06-27-2009, 12:10 AM
Both look great!...but if I had to choose, I think I'd go with black...

wolf_eyes
06-27-2009, 02:38 AM
i would go with the black as well :)

jackson17
06-27-2009, 02:54 AM
Black =]]]]]

MCHRKiller
06-27-2009, 04:05 AM
Black backed tank...olive green wall....must go with the ebony stain. Great contrast and it will add a clean modern feel to the setup :22:

Paw Broon
06-27-2009, 11:02 AM
Thanks Everyone! Ya, I cant believe how good it looks! Now Were not sure to stain it either black, or a mahogany???

ya, the tank sits on the support, or frame, and then on a piece of plywood, then the finishing wood goes around the whole frame, and it come up a bit to sort of acts like trim. On the top, we can fit the good piece of trim on the tank, then the canopy comes down about 3 inches, (but we might shorten it) then when we get the light, we'll fit it in, and maybe box the light in too.

Well done with it all, the trims on the tank along with the stand make it look pro!

Hailey
06-27-2009, 07:53 PM
Thanks! Well I like the black, and my bf likes the mahogany of course! So we'll see...

Hailey
06-30-2009, 09:51 PM
We got it sanded and stained (black)
Top canopy is sitting on top of the stand...and I know it looks like the doors are different colour, but its just the different angles.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/SkqHbJ-o6oI/AAAAAAAAApw/6qmAfFsMmI4/s800/DSCF2918.JPG
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/SkqHcmD7pwI/AAAAAAAAAp0/Lb3IDTYIAq8/s800/DSCF2919.JPG
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/SkqHeNntpWI/AAAAAAAAAp8/IHqnq7dS99w/s800/DSCF2920.JPG
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/SkqHfZSpyMI/AAAAAAAAAqA/Tpr_Y4583jw/s800/DSCF2921.JPG

now we just have to top coat it and attach the doors

terapie
07-02-2009, 02:27 PM
Really nice stand and aquarium, i would`ve like a wood one too but i went for a reinforced angle iron support with the sides and top covered with pressed wood (i dunno how you guys call it, it`s the thing that furniture is usually made out of other then solid wood), did it myself too.

Will look great once finished and full with water,fish and deco thumbs2:

Wild Turkey
07-02-2009, 02:28 PM
I really like the way the black stain looksthumbs2:

Hailey
07-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Thanks! So its all done. Got the top coat on and everything! But, now we have to wait to get more money so we can order a light and filter...:( lol

Hailey
07-10-2009, 03:48 AM
A little update...

So we have the stand in the room. The doors arnet on yet because we grabbed the wrong hinges, but thats nothing. This is what it looks like in here, but of course thats not where its going, we have to move the convict tank first...

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/Sla26NzTKEI/AAAAAAAAA1k/Cur440FP_Jo/s800/DSCF2969.JPG
and ignore the smudges on the glass...lol, oh and the doors are just sitting in it, thats not how they'll look

We priced out a AquaClear110 for $90, so we will pick it up this wednesday, when we pick up a 20 gal, and 15 gal for $25! (good deals!, they even come with AC filters, and hoods)

We still dont know what light we will use on the tank though. I had one picked out on ebay, but now its over, and the seller has not relisted anything, nothing from him is for sale now...I guess we'll see when we have to money. Plus I still dont know whether to get T5s ot T8s, Im leaning towards T8s...

We also went looking for some driftwood the other day, we didnt find much, just a couple little pieces, so I dont know what were going to do about that...

So soon it will be running, at least the filter will be...I'll use some cons in it after a while to get it seeded good, I still dont know what to do with them...

And thats it for now, I'll update in a little while

doug z
07-10-2009, 04:05 AM
Wtf's with the shotgun?

What did you SPEND on that thing?! LOL

Hailey
07-10-2009, 04:52 AM
oops, lol, bf's, but it wasnt much, about hmmm...($300???)...I forget what it cost, I'll have to ask. Its about a year or two old
I guess i should have cropped it out

Hailey
07-15-2009, 02:44 AM
Update:

We are setting it up now!!! 3M sand and filter picked up today, Were washing the sand now...

I will post pictures later tonight!!!

Hailey
07-15-2009, 07:23 AM
So, we did it! washed the sand got it it there and got the filter going!

Heres some pics, I'll update more tomorrow, too tired to now, lol

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/Sl2Bz-j2RtI/AAAAAAAAA5M/FFuPetuKhQ4/s400/DSCF3005.JPG
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/Sl2B1yM4JCI/AAAAAAAAA5Q/5i8UvDE-_Kg/s400/DSCF3007.JPG
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/Sl2B23BxeeI/AAAAAAAAA5U/yJoWEi6hZCg/s400/DSCF3008.JPG
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/Sl2B6ZuTDQI/AAAAAAAAA5Y/fuwHK47X47k/s800/DSCF3009.JPG
Not very good pics of it full of water, but thats it for tonight, lol

matthew.shelly
07-15-2009, 01:54 PM
looks awesome! nice job so far

rich311k
07-15-2009, 02:08 PM
Looks like a good start to me. The substrate is nice.

Wild Turkey
07-15-2009, 02:16 PM
Love the color scheme so far! Looking excellentthumbs2:

Hailey
07-15-2009, 11:38 PM
Thanks guys!

So right now I am filling the tank, and washing the sand, emptying the tank, and refilling it. I'm covered in black oil stuff, lol. So is parts of the tanks walls. But good thing is it does come off easy. Oh, and thank god I got a python yesterday! Theres no way I could have done this without it!

I think I'm on my last refill, it looks a lot clearer. Last night I noticed that the bio-max wouldnt sit inside the water in the AC110! So I hung it in the tank for the night, and this morning I took the carbon out, I thought it would help with taking out the cloudyness from the sand...

Now all we need is a light, and a heater! Oh, and fish and decor...I think Im going to work on some pieces of driftwood we found today, the tank looks so bare.

Also I think I'm going to run the AC50 on it for a while with the 110, to help get it cycled...and I think I'll put some cons in too

Hailey
07-16-2009, 07:14 PM
Picture of the tank today. I have a couple live plants in it, on the left, a silk one on the right. It just looked to bare! oh, and I cant wait for it to clear up! I might have to do a 50% water change today...
oh and there are 3 convicts in it, they survived the night, and looking good. So I think I'm going to have to put the rest of the cons in it today. I have to get that 25 gal down...

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/Sl97Q7GLbmI/AAAAAAAAA70/kfQU1aCELjY/s800/DSCF3016.JPG
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/Sl97PO5tWzI/AAAAAAAAA7s/h898Nwp_HWo/s800/DSCF3017.JPG

-Lp
07-16-2009, 07:21 PM
Looks really nice! I have been wanting to replace my current 55g. setup with exactly what you have there, good luck with it. thumbs2:

Hailey
07-16-2009, 09:52 PM
So I did the switch. I got all the convicts, the blue gourami, and loach in the 75 gallon. It was pretty scary getting some of them out of thier home tank. Thier pretty strong!

I cant believe how much my loach loves this tank! Hes swimming around, checking everything out, digging in the sand. Its pretty neat. In the other two tanks I had him in he always hid, except for dinner time. I even put his lamp "house" in there for him cause I thought he was searching for somewhere to hid, but nope, hes just lovin it! lol

So now I have the AC110 and the AC50 on there. It should be enough, and it should get cycled right away...

I have a couple pieces of wood in there, waiting for them to sink. Now all we need is the light (getting a T5 soon), and I need to order my plants! I cant wait.

Oh, and I still need to get rid of my cons. Except I'm keeping my big daddy con, hes cool, lol. So a bunch of female cons, the loach pictured below, and the blue gourami are all up for grabs!

As for fish in there, I really really want to get a pair of German Blue Rams, except the only kind I've seen around here are Bloivians...so I'll have to see if they can order me some. I think I also want a big school of corys in there. I have no idea what other fish I want in there also, but I'm sure I'll think of something! lol

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/Sl-gnwlvlaI/AAAAAAAAA9c/sSnYhUovjz0/s800/DSCF3019.JPG
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/Sl-gqzebTxI/AAAAAAAAA9o/irRey7yq4Lg/s800/DSCF3021.JPG
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/Sl-gpGkVv6I/AAAAAAAAA9k/pw44nkAqhF0/s800/DSCF3020.JPG
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/Sl-gseIp7JI/AAAAAAAAA9s/84LhaNr0_Qo/s800/DSCF3030.JPG

oh and Legend, good luck with the tank!

Hailey
08-05-2009, 09:47 PM
Update!

So as many of you know, the tank is down. This is what happened...
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=47931&highlight=hailey

We are going to be re-siliconing the whole thing back together. It is in panels sitting on the deck right now, and I am remove all the silicone I can. What a job!

Heres some picture of the back panel. It looks like these spots are right in the glass, is it going to be safe? I think so, but you never know

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/Snn8D1x7ruI/AAAAAAAABCU/YCEQI8YE8Lc/s400/DSCF3145.JPG
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/Snn8FBSFc-I/AAAAAAAABCc/LmjYvV0KRo8/s400/DSCF3146.JPG
This is some silicon that is really hard to get off. It wount even come off with alcohol...
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_FFL6woBv_ws/Snn8GcQmS0I/AAAAAAAABCg/-DTXTGFDF_0/s400/DSCF3147.JPG

What do you think? If its not going to be safe, please let me know ASAP!

Hailey
08-28-2009, 02:58 AM
Update:

So for the last week there has been a huge forest fire here, and its almost at my grandmas house, and its deff. on the back end of the property. So My boyfriend is up there with a couple other guys protecting the house (no insurance due to two wood stoves, but only one in right now so we could get insurance, but now its too late...)

So that means we wount be able to get the tank back together for a little while.

The glass is all ready on the deck, used paint thinner to take off all the small stuff, then rubbed the glass down wth rubbing alcohol. We are just waiting to get some silicone and get it back together! I cant wait. Then we got to figure out the whole trim thing, but we'll just have to make it work.

Hailey
09-13-2009, 07:05 AM
UPDATE:

So we bought our sislicone and I were going to try to put it back together tomorrow!!! I cant wait! I'm sort of scared though. I would die if it ever leaked again.

Hailey
09-18-2009, 09:28 PM
so we are still in the process of siliconeing!!!! This is our first time doing it, so theres a lot of things that well, go wrong, lol. Currently we have the laft hand side panel on the bottom, and the front on! Also its a lot hardre to do this tank because the bottom has to "float". Do to that, we put the bottom inside the trim, which has edges around the inside so the the bottom panel is lifted above where the other panels will sit...if that made any sense, lol. But its the perfect way of measuring.

Anyways we had to take the other side panel off because, well the glass doesnt fit perfectly. We had the two side panels on, let it sit for a day, then we put the front panel on. The one side where the front and side panel met was great, but the other wasnt! Also we had to put on a lot of extra silicone on and try to push it down in there with our fingers. We got the bottom, and one side good, but then it was too late to fix the other side. It was drying already.

Right now I just went out and took the messed up side panel off, and am now, again, trying to get all the silicone off!!! Man its a lot of work. But hopefully I can get it done! I then have to put the inside seal on, then do the BIG water Test!!! Im scared, lol. If we did all that work for nothing, I'll be mad. lol

Sharon
09-18-2009, 11:14 PM
I hope it all works out...it sounds like a LOT of work!!!:ssmile:

Hailey
10-04-2009, 12:28 AM
Holy cow its a lot of work!

So Im almost done! I just spent a few hours outside, taking silicone off, cleaning the glass, scraping the black painted background off, and siliconing the other two pieces on.

And HOLY did these two pieces go on a lot better than the first ones!!! This time we put lots of silicone on, so we didnt have to rush trying to get more silicone in the seams! It was a disaster last time.

So now I wait a couple days, take the excess silicone off of the inner walls, and then I can put the finishing, inside seal on and done!!! See if it holds water too...

I'll be back with more!

Hailey
10-04-2009, 01:04 AM
Oh, and I was wondering, if its not perfect, will it not be ok?

Like if the silicone isnt perfect, or the glass isnt perfectly straight, etc., is the tank going to be ok?

Hailey
11-17-2009, 08:47 PM
Nevermind about that, were getting a brand new 90 gallon!

Were picking it up on friday hopefully, and I cant wait! I also have a bunch of plants comming too. Now we need to fiqure out the lighting situation.

Now can I change the name of this journal? or just start a new one?