PDA

View Full Version : Discus in a 30g

AABatteries
06-17-2009, 08:08 AM
First of all, would it be okay to keep a single discus in 30g long?

Reason I ask is I'm planning on redoing my 30g as a South American stream bottom, maybe even blackwater. My main choice for this type of biotope is because the majority of the fish I have in there right now are SA. 14 cardinals tetras and 6 beunos aires tetras would be the ones that would stay. The blue gourami, 3 corries(just because I want a different type for this tank), and my guppy horde would have to go. And I would be in need of a center piece fish.

Now, with that being said, could I keep a discus in there?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-17-2009, 10:39 AM
IMO, you could.....if you didn't have that many fish in there to start with. I know 14 cardinals doesn't sound like many, and it really isn't, but when you are talking about that many in a 30 with a Discus it may be a few too many. The keys to Discus are keeping your water quality high, and not over crowding them with other species. Normally 14 cardinals wouldn't be a problem, but in tighter quarters they could very well be a source of stress for your Discus.

My 46gal has 9 Rummynose and 5 Lemon Tetras and a single Discus, and those other fish are at a maxiumum right now for that Discus.

douce101
06-17-2009, 03:04 PM
I agree with ILMGB about having a few to many tetras. While a few would certainly help the discus be more comfertable, in a small tank like that, keeping water quality high enough to keep the discus properly would be harder with all those fish. A big reason why you need to prioritize keeping the water quality so high, besides the fact they need it regardless, is the discus will be stressed by himself because they are a social fish that are better kept with other discus. Therefore, i'd say lower the cardinals to about 8, so they can still school, and keep the 6 beunos. That way it'll be easier on your bioload, and the tetras are still able to be in a school.

Good luck with everything, once I get a bigger tank I plan on doing the same idea as you with a single discus as the show fish. thumbs2:

Northernguy
06-17-2009, 03:11 PM
I'm hoping you do set this tank up!
I was thinking about one or two discus in a 35 with ? as well.
Good luck if thats the way you decide to go.
Make sure you have the time for all the cleanings that tank will need.

AABatteries
06-17-2009, 06:03 PM
I can take 4 of the cardinals and stick them with my brother's 6 so that we both have ten. I'd really like to have at least 10 of them in there.

I'm also going to be bumping up my filtration. I'll have to put both filters on the lowest flow setting since discus don't like a lot of flow. I know more filtration will not make up for all the WC's needed.

I can't wait to get started on this. With the banked side(s) I should be able to get some driftwood and make like a root system to really recreate the natural environment for the discus.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-17-2009, 10:26 PM
The added filter will actually be pointless. With Discus, if they are properly maintained, bioload becomes one of the least of your concerns. I don't want to call it unimportant because it obviously is important, but due to the frequent large water changes, it rarely comes into play.

AABatteries
06-18-2009, 01:49 AM
Okay, well, I think I'll still get it. I currently only have a Whisper 30, so that's not providing that much filtration. The second filter will be an AC20. I just pack all my filters full of the foam. My reasoning is, it provides the most area for bacteria to grow.

I'll have both filters set at the lowest flow. And if one craps out on me I'll have a spare. And I might add some peat to one of the filters.

domjd05
06-19-2009, 02:45 AM
The added filter will actually be pointless. With Discus, if they are properly maintained, bioload becomes one of the least of your concerns. I don't want to call it unimportant because it obviously is important, but due to the frequent large water changes, it rarely comes into play.

Agreed, you may end up doing so many water changes that your nitrates won't even register on your test kit... at this point the filter is pretty much providing current... and oh by the way discus don't like heavy currents.

AABatteries
06-19-2009, 03:33 AM
I'll have to put both filters on the lowest flow setting since discus don't like a lot of flow.

I know discus don't like much flow.