PDA

View Full Version : Found 3 Gar!

Inspiire
06-17-2009, 05:29 AM
I was at the lake over the weekend and some of my family had a bream trap out. They were catching small bream like crazy.

The trap was in water no deeper than 7". I went to check it early in the day, and pulled it out of the water to examine the contents.

There were 3 Gar in the trap. They were varying in size. The smallest was about 4", the largest being about 6". I saw them and thought about you guys. I thought about keeping it in my tank, but decided against it.

Just thought I would share my little story with you guys. :fish2:

Northernguy
06-17-2009, 05:34 AM
What! No pics!!!!:hmm3grin2orange:

That would have been cool.Its too bad you didn't have a spare 55 and than a spare 125 and then a .....!
Great choice letting them go!thumbs2:

Inspiire
06-17-2009, 05:46 AM
Well I was reading in this section the other day and some said its better to keep them crowded so they don't swim too fast and run into stuff.

They were actually almost cute. They had little snouts. I'd be scared to clean the tank though after I put them in. lol

Sharon
06-17-2009, 09:51 AM
I'm so gald you didn't take them home! Sounds like a fun day, though!!!

Lady Hobbs
06-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Glad you freed them.

Brookfish
06-17-2009, 02:57 PM
Cool thing to find, nice job on setting them free though!

Northernguy
06-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Well I was reading in this section the other day and some said its better to keep them crowded so they don't swim too fast and run into stuff.

They were actually almost cute. They had little snouts. I'd be scared to clean the tank though after I put them in. lol

Thats why said I hope you have several tanks that just keep getting larger!
Demjor is the one to talk to if you want experience with those fish/He had some beauties!

bigbad-ratman
06-17-2009, 04:42 PM
consevationist are actually wooried about the gar population. glad they are free.

Demjor19
06-17-2009, 11:49 PM
Excellent find and glad to hear you released them as well. These fish can be a bit tricky to keep and certain species/populations are a topic of concern right now.

Where are you located (the lake you caught them in i mean)...if you don't mind me asking. That would help determine the species. I am traveling to upstate New York this friday for a 9 day fishing trip. I hope catch a few big Longnose while I'm up there!

Demjor19
06-17-2009, 11:54 PM

...Not keep them crowded...just limit their space a bit. Sometimes that doesn't even stop them from taking themselves out. I had a baby Longnose do this to me about a year ago and he was only about 10" in a 29 gallon tank. Some species are prone to this more than others (LN & SN especially), but it can/has happened to all species.

Inspiire
06-18-2009, 03:28 AM
The lake was in Arkansas.

After looking at some pictures, these were definitely baby Alligator Gar. I thought they were weird looking because their snouts were short and wide.

Regardless, they were pretty cool. Looking at pictures online, they get MASSIVE! The lake is pretty big, and really really deep. I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't some 6-7 footers in there.