PDA

View Full Version : Stand

HeartsAngel
06-16-2009, 02:06 PM
Hello! Ok, my tank weighs a ton! Just curious about how can you tell if stand is strong enough to hold 90 gal aquarium and all the goodies in it esp since it will have rocks in etc. My stand is solid wood, has two doors is 50 in wide and only 16 1/2" deep so will need to put board under to bring out to 18. There is a center brace in the front (3 1/2 w & 1 1/2" thick) and in the back
(2 x 4). Is this enough brace? This stand also was given to me so don't know what original intent was. Would I need to add bracing? :fish:

Northernguy
06-16-2009, 02:09 PM
Can you post some detailed pics please?
It will help me to help you!
I cannot suggest much without seeing it.

HeartsAngel
06-17-2009, 01:57 AM
I will try to figure out how to put pics on here. Can't be too difficult. I will need to take some first...I'll be back with pics :fish:

Northernguy
06-17-2009, 02:09 AM
I will try to figure out how to put pics on here. Can't be too difficult. I will need to take some first...I'll be back with pics :fish:
Photobucket or another simialar site!
I shrink my pics in ms paint but you may have other software for it.
If your pics are small enough scroll down to Manage Attachments while your posting and add them in there.

HeartsAngel
06-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Here are some pics thumbs2: I hope this works...

Northernguy
06-17-2009, 02:26 PM
What is on the back of it?
Is there a backboard screwed onto the back?
Thats the part that worries me the most.To make that stand solid it will need a well mounted board across the entire back of that cabinet and screwed on.Holes can cut for any pumps or filters.
The stand looks ok other than that.
You can test it if you know two big guys that will stand on it.
LOL I test mine by putting almost 500lbs in weights on the top part.

HeartsAngel
06-18-2009, 02:11 AM
Yeah, it is just some light backboard and only on one side. Do you think adding some type of metal corner braces would ensure it wouldn't collapse?
How much would a 90 gal African cichlid tank weigh with all rock, water, substrate etc?
Thanks! Me Happy fish lady...:fish:

Kyle
06-18-2009, 02:34 AM
I think the wood looks a little thin for what the weight would be, just the water would be around 700 lbs

Northernguy
06-18-2009, 02:46 AM
I was thinking you had a 55 for some reason.
Do you know any carpeters that can build a frame of some sort on the inside and have a backboard glued and screwed on?
Your tank when it is full will be in excess of 900lbs.
Its about tenlbs/gal with water,sand and decorations.
I would not trust it as it is.Sorry!

HeartsAngel
06-18-2009, 03:30 AM
Thank you! I actually do have a 55 and now I also have a 90. The 90 gal is my new tank that I would like to do with African cichlids. I am taking my time as really want to do it right the first time. This stand was given to me by a friend and was supporting another 55 gal tank. (I traded that 55 in for the 90 as I have always wanted a bigger tank). I really like the idea of a board on the back. If I did a thick enough board I could probably extend the 1/1/2 inches to make it 18in and would then fit the 90. So your suggestion actually can solve two issues! Yippee! My hubby agrees (although he says he is not an engineer-Tee Hee) as he pointed out our large bookcase is supported by the backboard on it. Thanks for your help! :fish: thumbs2:

Northernguy
06-18-2009, 04:04 AM
Anytime!
You can also add to the top if you want.If the 90 hangs off at the back,that is not good.It should be supported all the way around the edges.

HeartsAngel
06-23-2009, 01:45 PM
We got the 2 X 6 added to the back sides, across top and a better center support underneath the stand too. Hubby did a fab job and it it level even! Then we brought it back upstairs and placed it on our apparently very NOT level floor. It could be levelled by placing a wedge shaped board underneath that was higher on the left side and tapered down to the right side. Seems difficult to do. Any other suggestions out there? The stand is now sitting completely on the floor instead of on 4 quarter sized plastic legs that it was on before. My point being that we think whatever we used would have to go under the entire edge? Are we right? Help? I can't believe the floor is so unlevel! Oh well, nothing is ever perfect is it? Thanks ahead for your wonderful suggestions. Have a great day! I am off to work... :fish:

Northernguy
06-23-2009, 01:54 PM
That sounds great!:22:
Make sure that the stand is what gets leveled not the tank!
Post some pics once you get it set up.:19:

HeartsAngel
06-25-2009, 03:54 AM
Okay I put some water in my tank. Left front from bottom is 15 9/16, right front is 15 5/16, left back is 15 6/16 and right back is 15 3/16.
Here is a few pics. Is this unlevel enough to worry about? If so a piece underneath would not work unless we were woodworking geniuses "NOT", so would shims work? Is it really important to have all of the stand on the floor or with shims would it be bearing the weight on the shims? Thanks Me again...:fish: :help:

Northernguy
06-25-2009, 04:00 AM
Yes Shim the stand not the tank.If you are out 1/4" just add some under the legs.thumbs2:
What kind of feet are on the stand?

HeartsAngel
06-26-2009, 03:31 AM
There are no feet on the stand. The front and the sides go to the floor. There is a 2 X 6 on back on each side that go to the floor and then we added a center support under bottom shelf that sits on floor also. That is why levelling this stand is more complicated because if we just put stuff under the corners then the edges of front and sides wouldn't all be on the floor. But does that matter? I this darn floor was level we'd be laughing. You'd think when you buy a home the floor would be level but we are on clay which seems to be a bit more flexible. Sorry off track. Anyway just not sure how to level a stand that has no legs! Thanks for your help...again...once we get the stand ready than we can get down to the real business of decor and stocking! :ssuprised: :fish: :14: :help:

Northernguy
06-26-2009, 04:58 AM
Place wedges where ever you can under the side so you can get it level.Its really not that hard,just do not level the tank.
The stand sounds like it was well stablized.

HeartsAngel
06-27-2009, 03:01 AM
Thank you so much. We will get it level so I can get on with the good stuff!
You guys rock!!! Me :fish: thumbs2: :fish:

bushwhacker
06-27-2009, 05:37 PM
2x6 across the back is a great idea, i'd have screwed a sheet of 3/4 plywood across the whole thing... no chance of it flexing then