PDA

View Full Version : Stocking a 125 Poll for fun

Owlbehere
06-15-2009, 11:53 PM
This is a Poll for fun. I don't have the tank yet but I'm juggling ideas. What idea is your favorite? Tank will be 125, Planted. Any suggestions? Anything you would add/subtract.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-15-2009, 11:54 PM
First thing I would add would be the poll. LOL

Fishguy2727
06-15-2009, 11:57 PM
I love my 150. Fancy goldfish, platies, danios, guppies, dojo, snails, and plants.

Owlbehere
06-15-2009, 11:59 PM
First thing I would add would be the poll. LOL
HA HA HA sorry I was adding it.... New to the whole poll thing :hmm3grin2orange:

MonkeyPox
06-16-2009, 12:00 AM
I picked up a 155g today that I'm turning into a discus tank, so that counts as my vote :)

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-16-2009, 12:01 AM
Personally, when I stock a tank, I stick to a specific geographic region, generally as broad as continent. Very rarely do I mix continents when I stock a tank. I like the idea of the Rainbows for sure, but I personally wouldn't add the Angels simply because of personal preference.

Owlbehere
06-16-2009, 12:08 AM
Personally, when I stock a tank, I stick to a specific geographic region, generally as broad as continent. Very rarely do I mix continents when I stock a tank. I like the idea of the Rainbows for sure, but I personally wouldn't add the Angels simply because of personal preference.

Thats a good Idea to keep it to one species or area. I've always wanted an angel is all.

I picked up a 155g today that I'm turning into a discus tank, so that counts as my vote :)
:ssuprised: I don't know if I'm ready for the maintenance that comes with discus, correct me if I'm wrong but don't they require a lot.

Fishguy the goldfish don't count in this because I already have another tank in mind for Fancy goldfish lol :P

Sharon
06-16-2009, 12:19 AM
Clown Loaches and a large school of Congo Tetras...oh, and a nice Pleco, maybe a Gold Nugget...:ssmile:

Owlbehere
06-16-2009, 12:52 AM
Clown Loaches and a large school of Congo Tetras...oh, and a nice Pleco, maybe a Gold Nugget...:ssmile:
Clowns won't get too big?

I'm loving the input!!! Keep it coming guys, I'm getting great ideas.

robflanker
06-16-2009, 12:55 AM
Somewhere in the articles someone wrote some suggested themed tank like the Asian Riverbed or Amazon river.

The only thing with your selected options was that to me, only #1 had a centrepiece fish - you had a lot of like "background" fish.

i like the asian riverbed because I like tigerbarbs and the other fish associated with it. It's my plan for my 55g

The clowns will eventually get too large I think for a 125g. You'd want 3 or so, and I think that'd be too much for a 125g unless you had them on their own.

Owlbehere
06-16-2009, 01:03 AM
Somewhere in the articles someone wrote some suggested themed tank like the Asian Riverbed or Amazon river.

The only thing with your selected options was that to me, only #1 had a centrepiece fish - you had a lot of like "background" fish.

i like the asian riverbed because I like tigerbarbs and the other fish associated with it. It's my plan for my 55g

The clowns will eventually get too large I think for a 125g. You'd want 3 or so, and I think that'd be too much for a 125g unless you had them on their own.
My favorite is #1 at the moment. But I'm getting great ideas. I really want Rainbows as the base, BUT I am going to look into the asian theme tank.

Northernguy
06-16-2009, 01:04 AM
I like the idea of an African type tank!
Amazing colors!thumbs2:

smaug
06-16-2009, 01:04 AM
I would have it heavily planted with tons of wood stacked to make many level.I would stock it with dwarf cichlids of many types.

robflanker
06-16-2009, 01:07 AM
I found it and copy&pasted it for you;

The Asian Riverbed Aquarium (120-200 liter)
This set up is very nice if you are willing to install a fairly strong current in your aquarium. It will mimic a South-East Asian riverbed biotope and should therefore ideally be heavily planted. Keeping a planted aquarium is actually easier than keeping a non-planted one since the plants will remove waste products from the water and help you keep the levels of oxygen up. Ask your local fish store for sturdy plant species that will thrive under normal aquarium lighting and require no additional carbon dioxide or fertilizers. This Asia Riverbed setup is inhabited by 15 Zebra Danios, 10 Tiger barbs, 4 Tinfoil barbs and 1 Red Tail Shark. The Red Tail Shark is not a true shark; it is a shark minnow that lives in freshwater only

I like smaug's idea of cichlids too. I've never done them or know anything them but there lies the challenge and the interest

rangur1
06-23-2009, 07:02 PM
sorry, your choices were not compatible really, if you really like the angels then get 6-your tank is big enough. add 6-8 cory cats to compliment. should look great.

Tigerbarb
06-23-2009, 07:05 PM
I like the idea of stocking a 125 with Turquoise Rainbows, Neon Dwarf Rainbows, 1-2 Angel Fish, Emerald Cory

Crispy
06-23-2009, 07:08 PM
amazon biotype with discus and smaller schoals of whatever you like. Add a few uncommon plecos and lots of driftwood/plants... now thats my kind of tank! thumbs2:

Goodbye
06-23-2009, 07:57 PM
I would have 4-6 GBR's, 20 Cardinal Tetras, 4 BN Plecos, 10 Peppered Cories and 6 Neon Dwarf Rainbows in a planted tank. There would also be about a few Zebra Nerite Snails.