PDA

View Full Version : Angelfish tank?

Inspiire
06-15-2009, 08:20 PM
I recently set up my 44G. I took it down for about a week to restain the wood trim and cabinet, clean it good, etc.

It is currently cycling with established media.

I have always loved Angelfish and thought about getting some. I got bored with my old guppies...

I'm using Pool Filter Sand as my substrate. There are a few larger rocks for decoration, along with a smaller piece of driftwood.

I know I have a different plan in my signature, but that was the beginning plan. I want Anglefish, but have read that sometimes they do best with just one per tank. What direction should I go?

1 Angel? 3-4 Angels? Tank mates? Or just Angel-only tank?

I really wanted some Sailfin Mollies to go with them, but I think the Mollies may become to aggressive and may become fin nippers...

I'll also be getting about 4 cories.

Suggestions?

robflanker
06-15-2009, 08:23 PM
You could have a pair if they are already paired off, but buying a paired set of angels is tough.

You can get one for definite, its what id do so you dont have to play the courtship game with various angels

DrNic
06-15-2009, 08:38 PM
The tank will probably hold 3-4 adult angelfish, assuming they are the only fish in the tank.

I would go with a pair of angelfish for tank though. They don't have to be a mating pair, and you're probably not going to want them to be anyway if you plan on keeping other fish in the tank. Mating angelfish can get pretty cranky toward other fish.

Sailfin mollies might be tough with angels but you can try them. The mollies might nip at the angelfish and the angelfish might eat the mollies as they get larger.

For me I would go with a pair of angels, maybe 1 german blue rams (or other ram type) and the corries. You could try the mollies but I'm not sure how well they'll last in the long run.

Inspiire
06-15-2009, 09:45 PM
I've come to the conclusion its going to be an all-angel tank.

I'm going to go with about 4 angels and 4-5 cories.

Checked water parameteres today and I'm done cycling! :19:

Possibly going tonight to pick up 2 cories to see how they do. I'll add more later after the tank bio-load catches up.

Should I get the angels all at once? Or can I add them one at a time?

Thanks!

Jaster
06-15-2009, 09:50 PM
It's a good plan! thumbs2:
Thats exactly what I'm doing with my 55 gallon... an Angel only tank. Except I'm going to use BN's for my bottom feeders.

Ashley
06-15-2009, 10:19 PM
I like the idea of bn better in an all angel tank. Angelfish are very agressive when they spawn and protect their eggs and fry. I think they would leave bn's alone more than cories. But I'm just guessing

Jaster
06-16-2009, 01:20 AM
I have not had a single issue between my Angels and my BN's. They get along great.

Algenco
06-16-2009, 02:03 AM
I have not had a single issue between my Angels and my BN's. They get along great.

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr47/Algenco/cartoons/hesaid.gif

rich311k
06-16-2009, 02:25 AM
BNs will be fine, just be sure they are not small enough to be eaten. I have lost an angel to trying to swallow a young BN.

KingFisher
06-16-2009, 02:32 AM
Sounds like it will be a nice tank. I also never had a problem with my angels picking on any bottom dwellers. I did however have problems in my 55g when two of my angels spawned and became terrorists toward everything else. I had to take the other two angels to the lfs and rehome them because they were getting beat up so bad.
I think four angels will work out until two decide to spawn. Then it would be a good idea to have some type of divider at the ready to slip into the tank to separate the other angels until the pair is done spawning, or another tank set up to move them to for that time. When they are not spawning, they should get along fine. Good luck and be sure to take lots of pictures. :ssmile:

Inspiire
06-16-2009, 02:59 AM
I think its going to be a good tank. :) The BN everyone is referring to, is that the Bristle Nose Pleco? I really do not care for the way they look... Kind of scary looking if you ask me. Maybe the picture I'm looking at just isn't a model shot. lol

The only pleco I like is the Sunshine Pleco. Really beautiful fish. My LFS has some for sale... $43.99 each!!! No way I'm spending $50 on a pleco.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/sunshine%20pleco/hanunxx/L14-SUNSHINE-PLECO.gif

Will the angelfish really attack the cories? If the angelfish attempt to spawn, I'll construct a barrier to keep the other fish away.

How long do I have to wait for them to pair off?

Will they raise the babies on their own?

Jaster
06-16-2009, 03:15 AM
Here is a pic of one of mine. She's an albino Bristle Nose (aka bushy nose)
They get to about 4" long and they are a great cleaming crew.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cooper25/my%20fish/BN3-6-9.jpg

Inspiire
06-16-2009, 03:45 AM
Okay, that one looks alot better than the ones I was looking at. Alot better.

I don't know if my LFS sells them though... I may have to go with cories anyway...

DrNic
06-16-2009, 03:51 AM
I've come to the conclusion its going to be an all-angel tank.

I'm going to go with about 4 angels and 4-5 cories.

Checked water parameteres today and I'm done cycling! :19:

Possibly going tonight to pick up 2 cories to see how they do. I'll add more later after the tank bio-load catches up.

Should I get the angels all at once? Or can I add them one at a time?

Thanks!

I would put them all in at the same time. That way they are all present for territory disputes etc. If you put the angelfish in one or two at a time, the first ones in the tank might get picky at the late comers and there could be some minor territory issues.

For me, I would put in the corries first, let them get settled and find the hiding spots in the tank, then add the angelfish in (all 4) about a week later or so.

I don't think the angelfish will bother corries much. I've kept them together in a pretty heavily stocked tank without issues, even during breeding. Plecos and BN Plecos are also fine. Just not as fun to watch.

Inspiire
06-16-2009, 05:03 PM
How long do I have to wait for them to pair off?

Will they raise the babies on their own?

Also, my LFS gets their fish shimpment on Wednesdays. I thought I would wait till Thursday to go buy fish. That allows the weaker/sick ones to die off before I make a selection. That way I have a better chance of getting healthy, active, strong fish. Suggestions?

Ashley
06-16-2009, 05:42 PM
here's an awesome video on pairing, setting up the tank and breeding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBF4CfUCVpY

Inspiire
06-17-2009, 04:11 AM
Guys, I'm reconsidering the number of Angels.

I was wanting about 4, but I've been reading stories about them turning into devils with more than 1. Considering my tank isn't that big, (44G) I may just get 1.

It will be my main fish and probably the only fish in the tank besides a few Cories.

I think breeding would be cool. For the first couple of times. Then I image it would get old and I wouldn't like them anymore. I also don't want to tend to them like a nanny to discourage fighting...

So, 6 Cories and 1 Angel. Sounds like a good plan to me. It also allows me to start on some plants and other small projects...

Jaster
06-17-2009, 11:50 AM
See I'm the oddball... I have 6 in my tank and they all seem to get a long great. Even the 2 fullgrown are pretty peaceful. There is the occasional chase out of a corner but thats about it. I do have tons and tons of caves and places for everyone to go though and I'm sure that helps. I think the other great help was getting everyone at a young age. All these guys grew up together so they are use to each other.