PDA

View Full Version : Filter question

HeartsAngel
06-15-2009, 02:27 PM
Hi all! Ok here goes my first question. I just bought a 90 gal tank. I would like to do African cichlid set up. I currently have a Rena XP 2 and a double bio wheel (which was given to me so not sure of brand). I am contemplating adding an undergravel filter. My LFS said I could and since cichlids love to dig to just put egg crate over so they cannot get to the UG. I also read somewhere that someone put their intake tube from their canister into one of the tubes of the UG filter. What do you think? Could you put the tube in the other tube and if so would it help keep under the UG clean? Thanks, and have a great day! You guys Rock! :fish:

robflanker
06-15-2009, 02:30 PM
I think undergravel filters are a waste of time, I got one for free, and played around with it and concluded it was complete junk. Some like them, I'm not one of them.

I'd rather have good above-substrate filtration, and then do a good job vacuuming. Have an undergravel filter doesnt stop the need for vacuuming, so to me it seems pointless and a waste of $$

Just my $0.02 :hmm3grin2orange:

Gayle
06-15-2009, 02:33 PM
I do not recommend undeground filters, I have never used them, but I have never heard anything good about them.

If you really want extra filtration I would just add a h.o.b. (AC is best IMO)

MonkeyPox
Hi all! Ok here goes my first question. I just bought a 90 gal tank. I would like to do African cichlid set up. I currently have a Rena XP 2 and a double bio wheel (which was given to me so not sure of brand). I am contemplating adding an undergravel filter. My LFS said I could and since cichlids love to dig to just put egg crate over so they cannot get to the UG. I also read somewhere that someone put their intake tube from their canister into one of the tubes of the UG filter. What do you think? Could you put the tube in the other tube and if so would it help keep under the UG clean? Thanks, and have a great day! You guys Rock! :fish:

XP2s are fine machines, but you're not really going to get a good turnover rate on them for a 90g tank. Adding something like an AC110 would make for a fine addition to your filtration system.

Count me in as someone who loathes UG filtration.

Northernguy
With the rena and an hob fliter the UGF is not at all neccesary!
The lfs maybe after a sale!lol
Most cichlids like to move gravel.
Did you get the gravel for Africans?
Have you set it up yet?
UGFs rock when set up properly with the right fish!

Wild Turkey
06-15-2009, 02:38 PM
With the rena and an hob fliter the UGF is not at all neccesary!

I agree

UGFS work excellently with a pump to reverse the flow.

If you use them in the traditional sense (airpumps pulling water down) be ready to clean it out a lot. IMO, not at all worth the cost to do extra maintenance.

HeartsAngel
06-16-2009, 02:00 PM
No, I have only managed to set my tank up on my stand. Just brought it in the house last night - wow them 90 gal are heavy! Hubby had to get a guy from golf to come help as he thought too heavy for me (I am still recovering from a "frozen" shoulder). So I am trying to plan my aquascape and so I think I'll be a month before it is all set up. Will post pics when done. Think I'm going to make my own background too - the cave grotto that you guys have talked about on here before. Thanks for all your help again! Have a great day! :19: