PDA

View Full Version : Feeding mts to figure 8 puffer

smaug
06-15-2009, 01:59 AM
At first I thought he wasnt actually getting them but I looked closer tonight.I dumped 20 or so mts for him,he would swim up to them carefully and real quick attack the opening,he was actually extracting the whole thing in a lightning quick bite!I wish I had my camera this week.

splitadams
06-15-2009, 06:27 AM
mine do the same thing but i dont know if they actually get the wole thing

smaug
06-15-2009, 09:52 PM
From the empty snail carcasses I found this morning it looks like mine gets the whole thing.

Crispy
06-16-2009, 04:23 AM
I dropped in about 20 snails for my figure 8 puffer and there were no snails left only three days later... only a bunch of empty shells... be prepared to constantly supply snails to these guys... best thing for them...

smaug
06-16-2009, 08:47 PM
I dropped in about 20 snails for my figure 8 puffer and there were no snails left only three days later... only a bunch of empty shells... be prepared to constantly supply snails to these guys... best thing for them...
Does yours eat mts snails?

Crispy
06-16-2009, 08:49 PM
Does yours eat mts snails?

they'll eat any snails... thumbs2:

smaug
06-16-2009, 08:50 PM
That is awesome,I know mine is surely eating the mts I give.I have an unending supply of them,he will get fat as a pig.

splitadams
06-17-2009, 10:26 AM
puffers will eat any snail, its a natural food for them, tho hard shelled snails like mts can chip the plate theyre teeth grow from
tho you do want the puffers teeth to wear down because they constantly grow, eventually to jamming theyre mouths closed, mts just work too well
ive read about people having to trim theyre puffers teeth every now and then

smaug
06-17-2009, 09:03 PM
puffers will eat any snail, its a natural food for them, tho hard shelled snails like mts can chip the plate theyre teeth grow from
tho you do want the puffers teeth to wear down because they constantly grow, eventually to jamming theyre mouths closed, mts just work too well
ive read about people having to trim theyre puffers teeth every now and then
How in the name of pete would you go about trimming the teeth of a puffer fish:ssuprised: That sounds nuts:sconfused:

Anomaly
06-18-2009, 02:13 AM
How in the name of pete would you go about trimming the teeth of a puffer fish:ssuprised: That sounds nuts:sconfused:

It's true . . . some people do have to trim their puffer's teeth occasionally. There's one particular type of freshwater puffer that is very peaceful and would do well in a community tank. You'll have to excuse my as I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head. The only drawback to this puffer is that it's teeth grow at such a fast rate that they require regular trimmings. Not my cup of tea! LOL

splitadams
06-18-2009, 08:40 AM
that would be the south american puffer

apparently you put the puffer in a solution to make him pass out then you trim with nail clippers and return him to the tank and he awakens shortly

smaug
06-18-2009, 08:41 PM
I believed him,it just sounds crazy to have to do.

Algenco
06-18-2009, 09:04 PM
that would be the south american puffer

apparently you put the puffer in a solution to make him pass out then you trim with nail clippers and return him to the tank and he awakens shortly

clove oil.......

bigbad-ratman
06-18-2009, 09:17 PM
i have heard clove oil as euthenasia agent, (did i say that right?) how you judge dosage so as to not hurt them.

Algenco
06-18-2009, 10:15 PM
i have heard clove oil as euthanasia agent, (did i say that right?) how you judge dosage so as to not hurt them.

it would have to be very heavy to kill them, most people that use it to euthanize only do so to sedate the fish, alcohol or some other method is used to kill the fish

There are commercial preps available Tranquil and Hypno are 2 and can be obtained through major sporting goods suppliers.
Using clove oil I would place the fish in about 1g water and add the oil 1 drop at a time until the fish is adequately sedated