PDA

View Full Version : Using plant mats instead of gravel?

gm72
03-11-2007, 02:19 PM
Has anyone used plant mats like the one linked to below instead of gravel as substrate? Just curious if it would work as I think it would look really nice. Might be harder to clean though. Hmm, any thoughts?

http://www.aquariumguys.com/cypressmat.html

Lady Hobbs
03-11-2007, 02:22 PM
This is just a plastic plant that is put in the bottom of the tank and gravel holds it down like any plastic plant. You can't get it to remain there without gravel for anchor.

gm72
03-11-2007, 03:03 PM
What if you were to attach suction cups to the plants to hold them down? Do you think it would provide an adequate substrate or is this just a dumb idea? (You can be honest if you want to, it won't hurt).

Lady Hobbs
03-11-2007, 06:37 PM
Dumb idea. LOLOLOL

Really, I have never yet seen a suction cup that holds anything down for long. I think these babies would be floating all over the place. I can't get a suction cup to hold my airline in place much less something like this. You could use a small amount of gravel but would probably have to remove all these for cleaning. Sand wouldn't hold them. It's too light.

cocoa_pleco
03-11-2007, 06:39 PM
suction cups are really bad IMO. My powerheads always get detached from their suction cups.

gm72
03-11-2007, 06:47 PM
Oh well, just a thought, and thanks for the feedback!