PDA

View Full Version : rather strange stocking list for a pond!

smaug
06-14-2009, 02:38 PM
The other week when I got my fish for the brack tank I also got 6 sailfin mollys to add with the puffers.The second they were added to the qt tank all heck broke loose ,the mollys are fierce!Well,I couldnt have that,so I bannished them to the 2000 plus gallon pond,I didnt know what to expect,first they were put directly in brackwater from the fresh they were in at the store then within 10 minutes were put back in fresh.They are all doing fine there and look like they will be breeding.I liked the way having smaller fish looked so I went and bought 25 rosy red fat heads and added them as well.You oughta see these little guys pushing around a koi pellet half as big as they are!This is likely a good choice because the channel cat that is still in there will be in need of live food,the fry will be first rate chow for him.So this makes for a stock list
8 koi ranging from 12" to just under 6"
5 sarassa comet all at or near 8"
4 fancy tail goldfish all at 4-5"
1 black moor about 6"
1 channell cat about 6"
25 rosy reds
6 black and white sailfin molly.

Northernguy
06-14-2009, 02:42 PM
Its definately odd but it works! At least until the cat is hungry enough! lol
Too bad you can't have a side veiwing window!
Great more digging!:hmm3grin2orange: lol

Oscar_freak12321
06-14-2009, 02:46 PM
Odd stocking, but sounds like a very colorful pond!

smaug
06-14-2009, 02:59 PM
Imagine what I would keep in there if I lived in a warmer part of the country.How about angelfish or fire eels?

Red
06-14-2009, 03:02 PM
Angels I wouldn't do, there slow moving targtes for birds etc, but fireels could happen. And the good thing smaug, the mollies love misquito larve, and will eat it. YOu should look into getting some gambusia..

smaug
06-14-2009, 03:03 PM
Angels I wouldn't do, there slow moving targtes for birds etc, but fireels could happen. And the good thing smaug, the mollies love misquito larve, and will eat it. YOu should look into getting some gambusia..
IDK,angels arent any slower then fluffy the magnificent,whats a gambusia?nevermind,I see its a mosquitofish.Mosquitos arent really a problem in a properly filtered pond.Due to the water movement they really dont multiply.