PDA

View Full Version : New to live rock

GeneralGoldeneye
06-14-2009, 03:20 AM
I have some live rock in my tank and I noticed that there was something growing inside of it.... It comes out of the rock and it looks like it has hairs on it... If I would tap on the tank or turn the light off it goes back into the rock.. Kinda neat what are these things anybody know..

PS I know it called live rock because of the stuff living on it or in :hmm3grin2orange:

MonkeyPox
06-14-2009, 03:23 AM
Um... little more details. Where did the rock come from? Did you place it in an established tank? Did you do anything to the rock prior to placing it inside a tank?

AABatteries
06-14-2009, 03:26 AM
A feather duster maybe?

GeneralGoldeneye
06-14-2009, 03:30 AM
A feather duster maybe?

lol yea thats what it looks like..

GeneralGoldeneye
06-14-2009, 03:32 AM
Um... little more details. Where did the rock come from? Did you place it in an established tank? Did you do anything to the rock prior to placing it inside a tank?

I don't know where exactly where it came from except my pet store and I placed it in a tank that is still Cycling... Nope did nothing to the rock. I brought in home and placed it in the tank

kaybee
06-14-2009, 03:33 PM
There are probably a lot more live rock denizens than are readily apparent. I remember once finding a small half-fist sized piece of live rock which had some nuisance hydroids on it (which were the only visible live things on the rock).

I dropped it into a container of RO/DI water to kill them and all sorts of pods, bristleworms, micro sea stars, tiny snails, etc, bailed out. I rescued most of these beneficial detritivores.

Drumachine09
06-14-2009, 04:10 PM
Might be aptasia. If you could get a picture of it it would help. You don't really want aptaisia, because eventually, its going to multiply.

GeneralGoldeneye
06-14-2009, 04:53 PM
Might be aptasia. If you could get a picture of it it would help. You don't really want aptaisia, because eventually, its going to multiply.

I will have to try to get one

GeneralGoldeneye
06-14-2009, 05:20 PM
I also noticed something white that was clung to the side of the glass