PDA

View Full Version : light for cheato

glarior
06-13-2009, 11:13 PM
I have some cheato to add to my sump and wanted to know what type of light to buy. I was informed I can just use a simple shop light for the sump. Is this true? I would prefer to be able to run to walmart or home depot and pick one up for a reasonable cost. I also read a thread saying I should get a 10k bulb? What do you think?

Kyle
06-13-2009, 11:29 PM
Ive seen people running desk lamps so I dont see why not. Just remember to run an opposite light schedule

oldhead
06-14-2009, 01:17 AM
Grab a clip on shop light from Lowe's you can grab them for about 6-8 bucks.

coachfraley
06-14-2009, 01:40 AM
Grab a clip on shop light from Lowe's you can grab them for about 6-8 bucks.

Then get a screw in compact flor. bulb from target. They have 6500k in 20watts.

Fishguy2727
06-14-2009, 02:35 AM
6500K is ideal for photosynthesis (including in zooxanthellae in corals and in macroalgae). The brighter the better. You can definitely use clamp on shop lights with compact fluorescent bulbs. I prefer the bulbs with a built in reflector (usually called flood lights).

glarior
06-14-2009, 02:50 AM
I will do that. However, when I stopped at wal-mart just a little bit ago I could not find it. There was no one to ask where they moved the lights to somewhere else. Argh, annoying. Why must the remodel the store for us? Nothing changes but where everything is located. They just want us to walk around the store with no one to ask so we spend more money on stuff we have not seen before. I will try lowes tomorrow.

Thanks everyone! :22: