PDA

View Full Version : DIY- Lava rock background

Drumachine09
03-11-2007, 03:08 AM
Well, today i was looking at my tank and i said to myself i said, "Matt, that looks boring. Lets spice it up a bit." Then i had an idea. I was going to make a removable lava rock background.

~TOOLS~

~1 five gallon bucket
~1 hooked up hose with water
~1 T-square
~1 peice of heavy grit sand paper (45-60 grit is cherry)
~1 Razor
~ OPTIONAL 1 circular saw with a carbon fiber blade/copper cutting blade
~1 towel
~1 Tape measure

~MATERIALS~

~1 tube aquarium selant/silicon 5$
~1 cubic foot bag of black/red/mixed lava rock 4$
~1 sheet of acrylic 1/8-3/8 will work 6$
__________________________________________________ _______________~ Total Cost (approximately) 15$

Now, my total cost was exactly $9.07, because i had the acrylic already.

~STEP ONE~
1. Fill the bucket up about 5-6 inches with your lava rock. you will probobly notice that the rock is really dirty.
2. Fill the bucket up with the hose and let the bucket continuously overflow for about three minutes. Then dump the water. Then lean the bucket on its side and spray the heck out of the rocks in the bucket to remove any smaller particals. Dump out the water.
3. spread the towel out in the sun on a flat surface like the driveway/sidewalk/deck/table. Dump the rocks out on the towel and spread them out so they dry faster.

~STEP TWO~
1.Measure the inside of your aquarium, and not the dimesions on a peice of paper. also note how far away from both ends of your aquarium where your powerheads/uplift tubes/intake tubs are and right them on the paper as well. the spots where your tubes, filter tubes, or powerheads are will not be covered by the lava rock to facilitate it fitting better.

~STEP THREE~
1. Mark out the length and the altitude of your tanks backround on the sheet. You can use a permenant marker (if you wipe it off with hairspray or isopropyl alcohol after cutting) a crayon, or preferably a grease pencil.
2. There are two ways to cut it.
a. Use the t-square to get a straight line, and score deeply the outline of your background. then place the score mark over a sharp edge like a counter top or a workmate and with a sharp, quick motion, snap it off. repeat with other score mark
b. Mark the dimensions as in "a" and use the carbonfiber/copper cutting blade to cut your lines.
3. use a heavy grit sand paper (45-60 grit) and sand one sid of your acrylic fairly well. This is so the silicon will have more surface area to bond to, meaning a stronger hold
4. Now go outside and roll your rocks around.

~STEP FOUR~
1. remember the measurements of where your intake tube/powerhead/uplift tubes were? Grab the peice of paper.
2. mark those dimensions of where your intake tube/powerhead/uplift tube will be.
3. remember for later parts, you wil NOT put any rocks crossing those lines.

~STEP FIVE~
1.grab your silicon, acrylic, and a chair and go outside and find a comfortable working place.
2. grab some handfulls of lava rocks and take them to your workplace.
3. GET TO GLUEING!

~STEP SIX~
1. step back and admire your work
2. let cure for 48 hours before putting your background back in your tank.
3. remove all of your stuff from the back of the tank like intake tube/powerhead/uplift tube/ and decorations.
4. Because the lip of the tank, you will have to put the background in at an angle.
5. To seat it firmly, give it a gentle press into the substrate.

And there you have it, your very own aquarium background.

http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t257/drumachine09/

The latest three are my background. You will notice the uncovered parts, that is where my uplift tubes and powerheads go.

Well i hope you all have learned something, as i did myself. Enjoy, and happy crafting........... Ok i give up i dont have a good sign off.

:4:

Chrona
03-11-2007, 03:16 AM
Very cool! One suggestion though - If you cut the acrylic sheet so it is slightly smaller than the inner dimensions of the tank, then you won't need to tilt it slightly because the top will be underneath the lip. If it starts to lean forward, you can just fasten the top to the lip with some string/rubber bands, OR just drop a dab of silicone between the glass back and the acrylic. I'm just iffy about the tilting part because I'd get worried that gunk would collect back there. Just a thought :)

Drumachine09
03-11-2007, 03:19 AM
Very cool! One suggestion though - If you cut the acrylic sheet so it is slightly smaller than the inner dimensions of the tank, then you won't need to tilt it slightly because the top will be underneath the lip. If it starts to lean forward, you can just fasten the top to the lip with some string/rubber bands, OR just drop a dab of silicone between the glass back and the acrylic. I'm just iffy about the tilting part because I'd get worried that gunk would collect back there. Just a though :)

I was talking about you having to angle it sideways to fit it in your tank, because of the length of the sheet, not the altitude. it should stay firmly rooted in your substate. It is made removable for gentle scrubbing when needed, but the sillicon dab is a good idea for people how cant get it to stay up!thumbs2:

Chrona
03-11-2007, 03:33 AM
Ohhhhhhhh, I get it now, my mistake, lol.

Drumachine09
03-11-2007, 03:35 AM
Ohhhhhhhh, I get it now, my mistake, lol.

I can see how that could have been confusing. ooops.

cocoa_pleco
03-11-2007, 03:45 AM
nice. I might try that with my 10g.

Chrona
03-11-2007, 03:54 AM
As a side benefit, I'll bet the lava rock wall will make a nice place for bacteria to culture, heh.

Drumachine09
03-11-2007, 04:05 AM
yup. :1::1:

cocoa_pleco
03-11-2007, 04:33 AM
ditto:4: :4: :1::1:

Drumachine09
03-11-2007, 05:15 AM
Should i go against the label, and see how it looks? it is all cured on the outside for up to a thickness of 2 mm. i put a bead on a seperate peice of plexi to see how long it would take to cure.

Chrona
03-11-2007, 05:26 AM
Patience grasshopper

cocoa_pleco
03-11-2007, 05:41 AM
hahahahaha. Yeah, patience young grasshopper. lol

jweintraub
03-11-2007, 08:56 AM
Wow, looks nice man! Much better than the classic paper taped to the back of the aquarium!

gm72
03-11-2007, 02:28 PM
I just had a flash about those commercials on TV for Guinness draft--BRILLIANT! I guess you could use this idea and silicone just about anything back there. GREAT idea (and one of those ideas that I am sitting here wondering "why didn't I think of that before?"

Drumachine09
03-11-2007, 03:51 PM
Tere are still some spots where i can fill in with more lavarock, like above the exhaust spout on the powerhead. Also, i had a blue peice of poster board taped behind it. As you can expect, i cant fill up every nook and cranny with rocks, so having a blue (i will be changing it to black) background, it makes the background look a little more solid.

Drumachine09
03-11-2007, 07:24 PM
Well, its been 24 hours, the curing time, so i put it in the tank, and it looks AWESOME! i will post a pic soon.

cocoa_pleco
03-11-2007, 07:26 PM
24h curing, but it takes a week to be safe for fish. UH-OH! lol

Drumachine09
03-11-2007, 07:26 PM
Thats not what mine says.

cocoa_pleco
03-11-2007, 07:28 PM
mine said 24h too, but Jeff said to definitely let it sit for a week.

Drumachine09
03-11-2007, 07:32 PM
mine said 24h too, but Jeff said to definitely let it sit for a week.

i wont be getting fish for a while, but i trust the package, and the lfs i bought it from, No offense to jeff.

cocoa_pleco
03-11-2007, 07:35 PM
probably okay then. When i silicones my rock stack, i let it sit for a week to make sure. I think the week is just a extra precaution.

Drumachine09
03-11-2007, 07:50 PM
Precautionary periods are for pansies....lol

cocoa_pleco
03-11-2007, 10:47 PM
hahahahahaha. Im not really often precautionary, but for fish i am.

Drumachine09
03-11-2007, 10:56 PM
I posted a pic in the week tw totm contest. take a look.

TheCrunch
07-17-2010, 01:05 AM
I would like to see the finished project, unfortunately I can't. Something about a private album?

Lady Hobbs
07-17-2010, 04:54 AM
The thread is 3 years old. He's probably removed it by now.

luvfish27
12-13-2011, 03:05 AM
Just completed my Lava background.check it out

http://www.flickr.com/photos/luvfish27/6502938935/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/luvfish27/6502941227/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/luvfish27/6502937349/

Cliff
12-13-2011, 03:13 AM
This is now a four year old thread

Luvfish27, I am really glad to see that you are researching / reading old threads. In the future I would suggest starting your own thread as I'm sure the OP has gotten all the info they were looking for