PDA

View Full Version : IS KEEPING FEMALE IN GLASS CHIMNEY ESSENTIAL?

LITTLEFISH
03-13-2006, 12:48 AM
I AM CURRENTLY TRYING TO BREED BETTAS, HAVE THE TANK SET UP PERFECT ONLY THING IS I COULDN'T AQUIRE A STORM LANTERN CHIMNEY OR ANYTHING THAT RESSEMBLES ONE... :( IS SEPERRATING THE FEMALE ESSENTIAL? THEY ARE SHOWING ALL THE SIGNS THAT THEY ARE READY BUT MALE HASN'T MADE BUBBLE NEST AS OF YET... FEMALE IS SHOWING VERTICAL LINES AND DROPPING HER HEAD WHEN MALE FLARES AT HER... IS THERE ANY CHANCE THEY WILL BREED?

William
03-13-2006, 03:38 AM
There is alays a chance but I need to know more about your setup to kno wether it's likely that they will breed or not. Whats the size of the tank, temperature, any company etc.

And please avoid using all CAPITAL letters. ;-)

LITTLEFISH
03-13-2006, 04:49 PM
its a 5 gallon tank, no gravel just bare, set up just for this purpose, small sponge filter restricted so its only bubbling very slowly(so it doesn't disturb the surface two much), a bunch of water sprite for the female to hide in,temp is 80 to 81.using a plastic lid from nutrafin fish food as site for bubble nest(its a lid with a dome on top thought is would be a good seen as styrofoam cups are very hard to get in Ireland because they are not Eco friendly)
the male and female are both in together showing all the signs that they are ready to mate but no bubble nest has been made...

William
03-14-2006, 01:04 AM
Well in that case i think they maight spawn if you just wait. Adding a floating plant might also be a good idea.

You will need another home fore them female once they spawn.

LITTLEFISH
03-14-2006, 01:23 AM
ye got some floating lillies today.. will put the female in the hospital tank with some general anti biotic if spawning happens.. then she'll go in with my guppies.. her tail fin is getting a little torn up starting to think this isn't a match made in heaven!!!!!

William
03-15-2006, 03:05 AM
If you have a guppy aquarium you might want to consider moving the female there and then feeding them well for a few weeks before you try breeding them again since this will help them get into spawning condition.

LITTLEFISH
03-17-2006, 04:23 PM
changed my male and have female in a breeding trap. the old male was to old was only interested in the breeding part not making the nest. i got a new younger male and hes building a palace of bubbles will wait a day or two until i lit the female out... cheers.... keep you posted ....

William
03-20-2006, 06:03 AM
good luck, hoping for good news soon.