View Full Version : Mixing gouramis

hungryhound
03-11-2007, 01:54 AM
We have a 46g planted community tank with the following:

4 zebrafish
3 Turquoise Rainbowfish
3 Dwarf Flame Gouramis
2 Siamese algae eaters

Is it possible to add normal sized Gouramis (Pearl) to this tank, as we've gotten mixed reviews on their compatibility with the dwarfs?

Thanks for your help!

Abbeys_Mom
03-11-2007, 03:10 AM
My pearl was really calm, never bothered anyone. I would recommend going with a female, since both sexes look the same. With gouramis it really is dependent on the temperament of each fish, so get along *cough* "swimmingly" and other will pester each other. The only way to find out is to buy one and see. If it doesn't work out, make sure your lfs will give you an exchange and have a back-up fish of another type.

sergo
03-11-2007, 03:16 AM
i've heard dwarfs and larger gouramis are not compatible.
i would love to have some of the larger varieties but i don't want to risk it.

hungryhound
03-11-2007, 02:16 PM
So one maybe and one no. I am still not sure, but thanks for the help. It is a good nudge towards the no side.

Lady Hobbs
03-11-2007, 02:24 PM
i've heard dwarfs and larger gouramis are not compatible.
i would love to have some of the larger varieties but i don't want to risk it.

And you would be correct. The larger gourami's, Three-Spot, Golds and Moonlight are all quite aggressive.

hungryhound
03-11-2007, 02:47 PM
yeah I understand that those three are aggressive, but I was hoping with the peaceful nature of the pearl that it would be okay. One is allowed to dream right.:dog:

gm72
03-11-2007, 08:22 PM
I have neon gouramis in with my golds that are a little more than twice their size and have never had problems, but maybe I'm lucky? How big do the pearls get? My neons are no more than...oh, maybe 1.5 inches tip to tip. The golds on the other hand are more like 4. LOVE my gourami tank. So graceful.

hungryhound
03-11-2007, 10:10 PM
From what I've read the Dwarf Gourami's get about 3 inches, while the pearls get about 5 inces. The three Dwarf's that we have defiantly like to chase on another, but it usually seems to be in jest (i.e. I haven't seen any fin nipping).

Denorios
03-16-2007, 07:57 PM
I kept a Paradise Gourami with two dwarf gouramis and had no problems, but it was a female, and they tend to be less aggressive. The dwarfs have since deceased, and I am contemplating introducing a Gold, Three Spot or Moonlight Gourami to the tank with similar trepidation...