PDA

View Full Version : T'is getting cold for Bettas

Ghostknife
06-12-2009, 11:14 PM
I have 2 Siamese Fighting fish, 1 male, 1 female. Original idea was to breed them. Didn't work. I bought a small, really small, tank for Chica the female. Cannot fit a heater or anything in it though.
I noticed she was getting scaley looking and this was obviously due to the heat of the water, too cold. I kept saying yeah must do something about that, and for weeks just procrastinated over it. A work colleague of mine came in yesterday and told me that his had died. So I thought, hmm... maybe I should do something now!.
Went to the hardware store yesterday and got some fly screen mesh and built a boundary so Chica could comfortably live in Paddys tank without them being in each others faces, or killing each other for that matter.
First time didn't work, Chica the small female got through and scared the bejesus out of Paddy. So second time, we constructed, out of unused chopsticks a boarder that we could sew the mesh onto and put in the tank. This appears to have worked.

It cost me $8aus, and i dont have to worry about a new filter, heater, or tank for that matter

So, the waterflow is there for chica now, the heat is there for her also, and she doesn't have to bother Paddy. I am pretty impressed with this now. A bit of a shambles looking, but let me know what you think!!! :19:

Needi
06-12-2009, 11:45 PM
nice work doing what had to be done :22:

I'm sure paddy would be proud..and happy he isn't being chased around!

Sharon
06-12-2009, 11:50 PM
I'm sure Chica is relieved! If they can see each other, they may constantly flare, which isn't good for them...:ssmile:

Northernguy
06-12-2009, 11:54 PM
I like it!
I think they will flare a lot for the first while but they will learn that they cannot get to each other.Leave it over the weekend but you will have to watch to see what going on.

Ghostknife
06-13-2009, 12:01 AM
Well, they have been in tanks beside each other for a while now. I don't think they will flare that much at each other.
I have a feeling Chica got in originally, thought it was class so wanted to get Paddy out of it. She realises now the barriers are too tough to get by this time.
As I said before, pretty happy about it!

Northernguy
06-13-2009, 12:03 AM
thumbs2: Cheers!:22: