PDA

View Full Version : Filteration on discus tank and keep sucker fish

Sunny3h
06-12-2009, 07:09 PM
Hi friends,
Can I put double filter(sponge filter + Power filter) on discus tank??
Can I able to keep 1 sucker fish on the discus tank?
Thanks All.

MonkeyPox
06-12-2009, 07:28 PM
Tank size?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-15-2009, 01:55 AM
What species of pleco are you considering? Not all will tolerate the temperatures at which Discus will be comfortable, and some are out because of their tenancy to suck themselves to the sides of Discus and feed on their slime coat.
As was asked as well, what size tank?

Northernguy
06-15-2009, 02:24 AM
I agree with what ILuvMyGoldBarb said about the pleco.
Tank size is important because some plecos also get very large.
Most tanks can handle two filters without a problem and it is usually advised.
What filter do you have now on that what size tank? lol

MCHRKiller
06-15-2009, 07:05 AM
If your tank is less than 40gallons it is not wise to even keep a single discus. Discus are also messy eaters and they dont like current...so a canister is your best option as far as filtration goes. Also be aware that alot of plecos dont like their water as high as a discus likes theirs...and some plecos are prone to pestering the slow old discus. About the best pleco I have ever kept with discus are bristlenoses...they get along very well with discus.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-15-2009, 10:06 AM
IMO, there is nothing wrong with keeping a Discus pair in a 29gal tank provided you have it well filtered and are faithful with your water changes, however I would not keep anything but the Discus pair in there

AABatteries
06-17-2009, 08:00 AM
Most "sucker fish" have the potentially, some more than others, to suck off the slime coating of discus. Otos are probably among the least likely.

rangur1
06-25-2009, 09:28 PM
if tank is big enough the power filter is fine [125gallon]. discus really like still water and warm toasty water. plecos/suckerfish are not good companions for discus.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-25-2009, 09:42 PM
That's just a bit to general. With 825 identified species in 84 different genera, the Loricariid family offers many choices, a number of which are very good choices for a Discus tank. I have personally kept 4 different species with Discus with no problems at all.

domjd05
06-28-2009, 05:27 PM
Good point, but I doubt most of those are really "readily" available... I think its safe to rule out chinese algae eaters.

I've heard gold nuggets and bristlenose plecos do well with discus... personally when I kept discus I never used a pleco.. Just used an algae scraper on the tank sides while performing water changes 2-3 times a week should keep down on the algae.. but discus make very messy eaters and tons of food will goto waste. I recommend a sand substrate to help keep the tank cleaner.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-28-2009, 05:29 PM
I've heard gold nuggets and bristlenose plecos do well with discus...

Those are 2 of the species I've kept with them LOL Well, I had one species of bristlenose. The others I have kept with them are:
Clown Plec
Spotted Orange Seam Plec

Sunny3h
07-06-2009, 11:21 PM
Tank size?

Length:2 feet
Height:2 feet
Width:1.5 feet

obida0429
08-11-2009, 08:00 PM
clown pleco wouldn't be a bad choice. they stay small (only about 5 inches) and have a very non aggressive temperament. As far as water conditions, they are pretty hardy and adaptable fish I would be willing to take a chance.