PDA

View Full Version : Betta rescue - need sanity check...

nwnittany
06-12-2009, 03:54 PM
I'll be getting a male betta rescue in a couple of days and need a sanity check on compatibility.

The preferred option is to put him in my 20 gallon, planted community. Other tank members would be: 4 guppy (1 male), 1 3-spot gourami, 6 kuhli loach, 4 cory cats. I have a ton of filtration in this tank and it's decently planted.

I'm not worried about overcrowding - the tank is well-maintained, has solid water quality, and more than enough filtration to handle one more fish.

But, I'm wondering about the compatibility with the gourami. I've seen some reports they should get along fine and others saying to be cautious.

Any experiences or suggestions in this area ? The other option is to keep the beta in a 2.5 gallon plastic tank, which I really don't want to do.

Thanks !

Northernguy
06-12-2009, 04:07 PM
The beta and gourami wiil fight!~ They like to keep the same territory.Thats the only prblem I can see.
Can you find a good deal on a used ten gallon?

thrakuarium
06-12-2009, 04:09 PM
You have 2 problems there. Gourami are anabantid like bettas. They may not like the intrusion to their surface territory. The guppies are the bigger problem. Bettas view flashy finnage as a threat to their territory (another betta) and they will attack. The guppies wont stand a chance.

Northernguy
06-12-2009, 04:14 PM
. The guppies wont stand a chance.
That all depends on the betas attitude!I have had a beta in a community tank with guppies(Sorry Froach) and never hd a problem.A few small chases but none died.Yes some are offended by the fancy guppy tail.
It is a chance!I even kept a problem male guppy in a ten gallon beta tank and never had a scrap.
Its a mellow beta!

nwnittany
06-12-2009, 04:23 PM
Can you find a good deal on a used ten gallon?

I'm sure I can, but then I'd need to find a good deal on a new wife.

Nguy/Thrak - is it worth the chance to drop him in the 20 gallon and see how things go ? I have to admit that I don't like to see my fish nip at each other (I always worry a bit when the angels in the other tank do it prior to spawning).

I guess my other option is to bag the rescue, but I don't think that will turn out well.....

thrakuarium
06-12-2009, 04:23 PM
That all depends on the betas attitude!I have had a beta in a community tank with guppies(Sorry Froach) and never hd a problem.A few small chases but none died.Yes some are offended by the fancy guppy tail.
It is a chance!I even kept a problem male guppy in a ten gallon beta tank and never had a scrap.
Its a mellow beta!

Yes very true. In general its not recommended to put them together, but individual fish don't read general guidelines :hmm3grin2orange: Add in the gourami though, and that 2.5 gallon plastic starts looking real good for a temp home until you get something permanent.

Ya, you could try him in there. he might be a mellow fish.I wouldn't leave him unsupervised though, and I would have the plastic tank ready to use.

One more thought... tank divider

Paw Broon
06-12-2009, 04:32 PM
I moved my betta to my community tank a month ago and he has been fine with my dwarf gourami, not one fallout though it always depends on the betta. Don't think i'd be putting him in with guppies but suppose you could always try it and if it doesn't workout, the 2.5 gallon it is. Either that or you get a 5 gallon or something for him.

Northernguy
06-12-2009, 05:00 PM
I'm sure I can, but then I'd need to find a good deal on a new wife.

Nguy/Thrak - is it worth the chance to drop him in the 20 gallon and see how things go ? I have to admit that I don't like to see my fish nip at each other (I always worry a bit when the angels in the other tank do it prior to spawning).

I guess my other option is to bag the rescue, but I don't think that will turn out well.....

Thats something I do not like either!If it doesn't work and the 2 1/2 is all you have then go for it.
Wifes are hard to find,especially if your as picky as me!:hmm3grin2orange:

nwnittany
06-14-2009, 03:00 AM
Well, I'm going to give it a go in the 20 community tank (with guppy and gourami).

But, I'm going to take it really slow. After acclimating, I now have the betta in an in-tank breeder, hoping that he will slowly get used to being in a tank with others.

This is my first betta, so I don't have much experience interpreting their actions, but he seems slightly more lively than he did in the little bowl we acclimated him in.

So, we shall see how this works out.....

gm72
06-14-2009, 03:02 AM
I don't think it will work, but bettas are finicky to say the least. Some tolerate company and others don't. Best of luck and please do keep us posted.

William
06-14-2009, 04:07 AM
Its a mellow beta!

I had a betta that didn't only leave guppy alone. It herded and protected guppy fry as its own young and raised gyuppy fry survival rate through the roof in a community tank.

Sarkazmo
06-14-2009, 10:08 AM
It's basically going to come down to the individual personalities of the fish involved. Some Betta will not tolerate ANY tank mates, others seem to enjoy other fishes as company.

Good luck.

Sark

ReighnStorm
06-14-2009, 07:12 PM
I have a betta and I can't even keep a mystery snail in his tank. He even chases bubbles! I prefer not to worry about any such attacks. My betta has a five gallon planted tank and he storms the territory all day. If you have no other choice then just watch him veryclosely..:14:

nwnittany
06-15-2009, 03:14 AM
I'll keep everyone posted on how things are progressing.

The betta's been in the 20 gallon community tank in an in-tank breeder for about a full day.

The guppies are very curious and have been swimming around the breeder.

The gourami hid for a while (this one is very skiddish) but has been out and about tonight.

The loaches and cory don't care (too busy sniffing the bottom).

The betta is just slowly meandering about in the breeder. In a way I feel bad about having it in a fairly small breeder, but it's alot bigger than the cups they have them in at the LFS and bigger than some of the bowls I've seen them in. And, it's heated and clean water. And, hopefully, it's just for another week or so until he's used to his tank mates.

But, as the proverb goes, "we'll see..."

nwnittany
06-18-2009, 09:40 PM
Just a short update...nothing earthshaking.

The betta is still in the in-tank breeder in the 20 gallon community tank. Seems very happy and a helluva lot more active than in his small bowl. But, I think this is due to the water temp (the bowl was room temp and the tank is about 80).

I'm not positive, but I think he's built a bubble nest. There is a significant collection of bubbles in one corner of the in-tank breeder. I accidentally disbanded them when I was topping off the tank the other day and they've all come back.

If it is in fact a bubble nest, I guess this could mean that a) he's relatively comfortable, and b) he might be a bit territorial when I let him out (ie, the whole breeding thing).

My plan is to let him out this weekend when I have a few hours to be close by to watch him and the others.

We shall see.....

One other random observation. The little guy loves NLS pellets (the small ones - about the size of very coursely ground pepper).

bigbad-ratman
06-18-2009, 09:52 PM
although i did have someone give me a crazy look when i told him, i have one of my bettas in with my fancy goldfish. i do have to feed them seperate, but they get along great. so i guess anything is possible.

nwnittany
06-21-2009, 10:41 PM
Here's the Day 1 report.

After acclimating for a week, I finally took the plunge and let the male betta into the 20 gallon community.

So far, so good. He staked out some territory in the middle of the tank and the others seem to steer clear of him (except for the 3-spot gourami, which just swims through it when he wants to).

The betta has paid the most attention to the female guppies. He doesn't attack them, just sort of 'sniffs' at them. They don't seem to appreciate it, and generally swim away.

He's not done much with the male guppy (yet).

To give you a feel for the tank setup, here's a (crappy) pic. Ignore the bald guy in the reflection :hmm3grin2orange:

http://gravesfamilysite.com/DSCN2016.JPG

Still not convinced this will work out, but I'm hoping it will. The betta sure seems to like the tank better than a bowl.

Sarkazmo
06-22-2009, 06:57 AM
Nice looking tank, is that a decoration or real roots in the middle? As well planted as your tank is I don't think that you'll have too much trouble with the betta.

Sark

nwnittany
06-22-2009, 03:01 PM
is that a decoration or real roots in the middle?
Sark

The thing in the middle is a decoration. It's been a good one - the fish enjoy swimming in and out of it and someone usually is hanging out in the middle (usually the gourami). The loaches like to burrow under it, too.

Well, everyone is accounted for this morning and feeding went fine. I'm far from declaring that things will be fine, but the early prognosis is good. Fingers crossed.

nwnittany
06-23-2009, 04:42 PM
Day 2 report.

Things are still looking good. I haven't noticed any aggression and haven't seen any injuries or floaters.

The male betta is expanding his travels and now swims through the planted area on the left of the tank. This is in addition to the open space in the top/middle portion of the tank, which I think he considers his turf (this is where the breeder was located during his acclimation period.

He is still paying alot of attention to the female guppies. Those things must emit pheromones like government bailout dollars because they are constantly being hounded by males....

Fraoch
06-23-2009, 05:59 PM
Those things must emit pheromones like government bailout dollars because they are constantly being hounded by males....

ROFL!:rolling:

nwnittany
06-23-2009, 10:06 PM
ROFL!:rolling:

Next thing you know, I'll have a fish named Obama or Bush. Oh wait, Smaug has beat me to the punch !!

Ok, enough chatterbox...lol.

nwnittany
06-24-2009, 04:54 PM
Day 3.

Things are about the same. I'm only able to observe in the mornings and evenings, but I'm not seeing any unusual aggression. I've never seen anything between the betta and the gourami, and the interaction between the betta and the guppies has been what I would call 'normal' - no fast darting, mainly just sniffing at the females.

Still too early to claim 'peace', but I'm encouraged.

nwnittany
06-26-2009, 05:04 PM
Day 5 (I think...lost count).

Everything still OK. The tank is pretty active now - a bunch of guppy fry swirling around the tank (need to make a trip to the LFS to drop em off).

Betta seems fine and isn't bothering anybody.

I think the taller plants help out quite a bit.

Unless something monumental happens, I'm gonna shut-down this thread...

Sarkazmo
06-27-2009, 12:23 AM
Congrats :)

Sark

jaimoe
06-27-2009, 03:34 AM
Nice setup on that tank! I gotta find myself something similar to that root decoration for my own 20g tank.

nwnittany
06-27-2009, 05:00 AM
Thanks, guys.

To be completely objective, the tank is really nothing special. I take cuttings from my 45 and plant them in the 20. The decorations are that neat root thing and a couple of pvc pipes. But you know, it kinda works.

I'm really happy the betta is doing well. I guess my old age has made me sappy, but I hate to see my fish nipping at each other and I was pleased to see everyone getting along.

But, it still early and like the proverb goes, we shall see.

nwnittany
07-30-2009, 08:18 PM
Just a quick follow-up. It's been about 1 1/2 months since I added the betta and things are still going fine. To be completely honest, I can't recall seeing any nipping or fighting.

One other observation is the betta loves NLS small pellets.

I have to admit, the results surprised me. Live and learn !

batmura
08-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Great thread. Read every post with great interest.

Honestly, I am totally taken by surprise that the betta and gourami wouldn't get into a deadly fight or the betta eating up the guppies. I once added a betta to my gourami tank and it took them about 30 seconds to terrorise not only each other but even the whole household. Your case may be a big exception. I wouldn't advise others to do the same thing.

Thanks!