PDA

View Full Version : stop the grumpyness

cocoa_pleco
03-10-2007, 05:21 PM
Anyone know how to make a betta less grumpy?

When i picked up the new 10g yesterday, they said the betta was sweet and it sits on the top for food.
All he does now is flare at the pictures of fish at the tanks background, chases the kinfish, and even flares at ME if i get too close ( which to him is 6 feet or closer it seems)

Willyleigh
03-10-2007, 05:46 PM
You could try neutering him.

:ezpi_wink1: :ezpi_wink1: :ezpi_wink1:

cocoa_pleco
03-10-2007, 05:51 PM
That'd be pretty hard to do. lol

He is chasing the kinfish and after a few seconds he just hangs by the filter again.

Rue
03-10-2007, 05:54 PM
...give him time...he's just gone through a huge stesser...

cocoa_pleco
03-10-2007, 05:57 PM
that could be it. I cant figure out how they said the betta was so friendly and now hes grumpy. I think if i buy enough plants and decor today he'l settle down.

Abbeys_Mom
03-10-2007, 06:06 PM
I am sure they train them to be cute at the store (like puppies at the pound). Then when they get their own turf, they are little monsters. I keep freaking out my Daughters' Betta with my metal coffee mug. I keep forgetting he is there and setting my coffee in front of him. You should see him flare at his own reflection, his head is perfectly round from the front!

cocoa_pleco
03-10-2007, 06:12 PM
its kinda funny when they flare. Its funny to see mine flare at the fish on the background.
I dont get why he flares at me though. weird

What happened to your sparkling gouramis in your sig?

Abbeys_Mom
03-10-2007, 06:31 PM
The last one died yesterday. Just updated it today.

cocoa_pleco
03-10-2007, 07:23 PM
awww, that sucks. I heard theyre hard to take care of.

Nice new avatar. Hope the easter betta visits my house!

sergo
03-11-2007, 01:10 AM
hey cocoa, it's a betta that's what they do. if you want a less grumpy one, i'd say get a dead on :)
mine flare at me all of the time. i take it as a sign of affection.

cocoa_pleco
03-11-2007, 03:44 AM
the one in my 2g is really peaceful. The one in the 10g has calmed since i just got new driftwood.

Rue
03-11-2007, 04:37 PM
...I'm glad they're settling in...

s410k
03-11-2007, 11:05 PM
My betta flares up at all the other fish in the tank. He's never flared up at me though.

The last betta I had that died, he would let me put my finger in the tank and stroke him (yes, I know I risked electrocution before anyone says it:hmm3grin2orange: )

Chrona
03-11-2007, 11:07 PM
My betta flares up at all the other fish in the tank. He's never flared up at me though.

The last betta I had that died, he would let me put my finger in the tank and stroke him (yes, I know I risked electrocution before anyone says it:hmm3grin2orange: )

? I don't get it.

Drumachine09
03-11-2007, 11:29 PM
Ditto. :1:

cocoa_pleco
03-11-2007, 11:35 PM
Some people get electric current in their tanks.

Chrona
03-12-2007, 12:46 AM
Yeah, but how would you get electrocuted unless you had an open wire sticking into your tank? :confused:

cocoa_pleco
03-12-2007, 12:50 AM
I dunno. Sometimes peoples tanks get mild current, and they have to buy a aquarium tank grounder.

The betta had a stupid moment. For the new plants, i used a old plant gro system of mine that has a fizz bottle connected to a plastic in tank submersed rectangle that holds the co2. The betta tried to gulp some co2 thinking it was air, then ran to the top for real air. poor thing.

s410k
03-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by s410k

The last betta I had that died, he would let me put my finger in the tank and stroke him (yes, I know I risked electrocution before anyone says it )

? I don't get it

Electric heater......electric pump/filter.......the general advice is if you need to put your had in the tank, switch everything off.......:confused:

Chrona
03-12-2007, 07:53 PM
Oh, that. Psh, I've braved worse :ezpi_wink1:

AquaQueen
03-13-2007, 01:34 AM
I have never heard of that before and I have always put my hands in my tanks with everything running...lol whoops I wonder tho...should I stop doing it where I have never had a problem?:confused:

sergo
03-13-2007, 02:00 AM
if you have current in your tank then you have a serious ground problem somewhere. something IS NOT right, there should not be any current.

s410k
03-19-2007, 08:11 PM
if you have current in your tank then you have a serious ground problem somewhere. something IS NOT right, there should not be any current

There is NO current in the tank. What I am saying is you have an electric heater and electric pumps and filters and stuff within the tank.

So, what you have here are electric appliances in water.

Although these appliances are obviously water proof, there is a possibility that water could seep through and touch a live wire!

Bad news for the fish, and very bad news for you if you should put your hand in the tank!

Therefore, it is just plain common sense that you should NOT put your hand in to the tank without switching off your appliances (although I admit that I do!)

Think bath tub and electric radio here!

Hope this clears things up.

s410k
03-19-2007, 08:18 PM
I have just read somewhere that there are two types of heaters. External and submersible.

It is the submersible heater that I am referring to with regards to risk of electrocution.