PDA

View Full Version : Rescued a bubble coral

Miltonic
06-12-2009, 03:49 AM
Well, I went to the LFS to get a black background for my fw tank, made sure I didn't bring enough money with me to buy a nice coral but went to the coral section anyway nothing stood out to me at first until I make my way to this tank with assorted coral frags most of them where dying and really bad looking corals priced very cheap. Among those this bubble coral stood out to me I don't know why but I felt the need to rescue it and find out what happens with it since a lot of skeleton is showing and just a little bit of flesh left of what once was I assume a very nice bubble coral. Similar sized healthy corals like this are usually around $100 at my LFS but since this one was well barely there I snagged it for just $15. Hopefully this beautiful coral will make a comeback in my tank regrow from whats left, that honestly doesn't look that bad I just wonder what happened to it to get like that.

Here's how it looks like after I put it in my tank, I watched it for about an hour and it extended it bubbles a lot more than what shows in the pic.
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q134/miltonic/100_2736.jpg

Gayle
06-12-2009, 03:52 AM
I hope it does well in your tank!!! I am sure it will though you know what you are doing!!! Congrats!!!!

mommy1
06-12-2009, 03:57 AM
best of luck. hope the coral pulls through!

Miltonic
06-12-2009, 04:05 AM
Thanks for the support! Only time will tell what will happen and will do my best to give the right care, I plan to start giving it weekly feedings to hopefully speed things up. I also can't help to remember the look the lady at the LFS gave me when I told her I wanted to rescue that coral since I think she was prepared to get one of the nice corals they have. lol

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-12-2009, 10:19 AM
Good luck with that. Unfortunately, IME, these corals, once damaged do not heal well at all. Mine has been in steady decline for months after a small piece of LR punctured one of the bubbles. It seems it may be stabilizing now but it has taken months. Be sure to feed it. Mine eats about half a large krill each time.

unleashed
06-12-2009, 10:35 AM
Good luck with that. Unfortunately, IME, these corals, once damaged do not heal well at all. Mine has been in steady decline for months after a small piece of LR punctured one of the bubbles. It seems it may be stabilizing now but it has taken months. Be sure to feed it. Mine eats about half a large krill each time.
I'm with GB. From my experience, most LPS corals once injured (even slightly) never seem to do well.

I had a giant green bubble coral which obtained several punctures from my pair of clarkii clowns hosting in it. It slowly perished after a few months, even after I removed the clowns.

However, I do wish you luck with that bubble......

oldhead
06-12-2009, 12:16 PM

+1, Good luck with it and I hope it gets better. By my experience has been about the same.

Miltonic
06-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Thanks I knew it would be hard but maybe it will start growing back with the right care. From looking at it none of the pieces that are left look damaged right now and all the damaged tissue looks like its gone since the skeleton leftover is pretty old looking. Im happy that at least it still expanding its bubbles and hoping for the best.

Miltonic
06-13-2009, 01:25 AM
sorry for the double but I have to update on how it went today.

The bubble coral was all nice perked up today and that seems like good sign, tonight I will be feeding it for the first time and hopefuly that will help it recover faster.

here's new pic from earlier today. :D
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q134/miltonic/100_2755.jpg

mr.elcajon
06-14-2009, 12:19 AM
looks like its tryin, but have fun with that one. i ve lost three types of LPS do to damage, and once they start its hard to stop. but i would watch and make sure that it is not dying in ur tank. i had one die, and didnt even notice, cuz the skin never came off. one day went to feed it and the skin came off and smelled so bad. i could imagin how many toxins were being released into the water.

Miltonic
07-04-2009, 03:14 PM
I have a little update on this after about a month of having this coral I've started to notice some more tissue growth and even little chunks of flesh leftover in dead areas have developed little sweepers and mouth. :19: I'm very happy I got this coral now and hopefully it will look amazing one day.
here's one of those pieces(circled) leftover that grew sweepers and a mouth, I couldn't get a good pic so I just have to reuse the one from before to point out where it is.
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q134/miltonic/100_2755-1.jpg

Rue
07-04-2009, 03:25 PM
Excellent! Congrats!thumbs2:

Miltonic
07-05-2009, 12:39 AM
Thanks Rue, It's really cool to see how just a little piece of tissue leftover would grow sweepers and a mouth out of almost nothing.

mommy1
07-05-2009, 02:03 PM
that is really cool. hope it continues to improve thumbs2: