PDA

View Full Version : How much space does a moss wall require?

PUNISHER VETTE
06-11-2009, 12:32 PM
I've got a ton of java moss basically filling up my 2.5g and some in my 30g.

I was planning on making a moss wall in my 30g with it but i'm pressed for space.

What do you think about putting it on the left side of this tank?
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e289/tparkhi2/30%20gallon%20Tank/IMG_2615bestmaybe.jpg

As you can see i've got my large amazon sword with its leaves growing into that left wall along with a wendii.
I guess maybe i should do it on the back wall and work my way up to that?

Lady Hobbs
06-11-2009, 01:27 PM
I wouldn't. Your tank looks awesome just as it is. Too much "stuff" makes a tank look junky, IMO, and your other plants are shaded by too many other plants.

Me thinks your tank is perfect as it is.

Wild Turkey
06-11-2009, 02:25 PM
I wouldn't. Your tank looks awesome just as it is. Too much "stuff" makes a tank look junky, IMO, and your other plants are shaded by too many other plants.

I have to agree. I wouldnt jam a wall in there. When i saw the pic and looked at the left side my first thought was "...where?" lol

Red
06-11-2009, 02:52 PM
I agree, you wouldn't get to enjoy it that much, it would just be there.
What are you nitrates like, I bet there super low with all the plants in there.

iZinedane
06-11-2009, 04:20 PM

i second that :hmm3grin2orange:

PUNISHER VETTE
06-11-2009, 05:24 PM
Well the vals aren't doing "great" so i might be willing to eliminate them in place of a moss wall for the back wall.

I don't think vals are very good plants for small tanks anyway.

I'm sure there's a way i could get rid of the tons of wendii i have and move my amazon sword over a bit but i think you're right in that there isn't much room.

I'm sure the java moss would grow out of the mesh at least an inch or two. But if i put on along the back it might be okay?

If i don't make a moss wall i'm going to have a ton of java moss. I guess i could start selling some shrimp with a little moss....

DrNic
06-26-2009, 02:58 AM
I've had real problems with java moss walls. Food, and other debris would always get stuck behind the wall and end up fouling the water. If you do decide to make a wall I found it helpful to start with a LOT of moss all at once rather than a letting a small amount 'grow in'.

As for the amount of light, that will depend on the moss. Java moss doesn't require a huge amount of light so you can probably get away with having other decorations up close. With christmas moss or phoenix moss though you'll need to keep other plants and decorations away to make sure adequate light gets in.

Overall though I agree with the other guys. I wouldn't add a moss wall to that setup. It looks too good to mess with! thumbs2:

PUNISHER VETTE
06-26-2009, 03:14 AM
It's been a few weeks since i posted this and things have changed slightly.

The amazon sword on the far left is getting WAY too big for this 30g tank.

When i get around to it(probably not for a while) i might take that out and sell it, move some things around, then see about the moss wall idea.

I've got a 2.5g shrimp tank that is completely full. I feel bad for the shrimp as they don't have much swimming room in that tank. I think i'll cut that in half and try to grow some more before this wall starts.

And although i've got a tiny bit of x-mas moss it's never really grown that well for me. Although the tiny spot that has taken hold on my driftwood looks 10000 times better then the other moss. So much more character to it.

balski911
08-07-2009, 05:35 AM
I was once so attracted to moss that I made 10g fishless tank just to keep moss and some swords. :)

Then I sold it since it required more work then my other tanks.