PDA

View Full Version : Oto cat question

Chrona
03-10-2007, 04:18 AM
Do these guys need to be in small groups to feel secure? The lone oto I got doesn't seem to do anything during the day, but he must work furiously at night because my algae problem is vanishing quickly and I don't think it's just the SAE

cocoa_pleco
03-10-2007, 04:24 AM
you could get him a friend.

Chrona
03-10-2007, 04:32 AM
Just wanted to make sure, since that line of thinking made me get more cardinal tetras in the hope that they would school. Instead, I now have 5 non-schooling cardinals that bicker instead of 3 :rolleyes:

cocoa_pleco
03-10-2007, 04:36 AM
get one of each lol.

The new betta n my new 10g is GRUMPY. If one of those kinfish come by, he chases em for a inch or two.

Fishguy2727
03-10-2007, 01:41 PM
There are exceptions, but tetras, barbs, danios, cory cats, pimodella cats, and others do best in schools.

Chrona
03-16-2007, 01:18 AM
Ah, hm, the tank is much cleaner, but I'm not sure if it's the SAE or the Oto that's doing the work. The glass is still covered in brown algae though. I thought otos loved that stuff? Do they really only clean at night?

Drumachine09
03-16-2007, 01:29 AM
Ah, hm, the tank is much cleaner, but I'm not sure if it's the SAE or the Oto that's doing the work. The glass is still covered in brown algae though. I thought otos loved that stuff? Do they really only clean at night?

Go to walmart, and get a pack of "no more algae" tablets by jungle. They are three dollars a box and cleared up my algea over night. They are amazing.

Chrona
03-16-2007, 01:38 AM
Go to walmart, and get a pack of "no more algae" tablets by jungle. They are three dollars a box and cleared up my algea over night. They are amazing.

Can't use most algae controllers in a planted tank, including that one :/

Drumachine09
03-16-2007, 01:44 AM
Oh, i didnt realize that. Good to know!

Rue
03-16-2007, 01:47 AM
Oto cats are schooling fish too...you should have at least 3...

...good luck! I had none with mine :( Still trying to figure out what was wrong...don't want to get more if I can't provide them with the right environment...

Chrona
03-16-2007, 01:53 AM
Oto cats are schooling fish too...you should have at least 3...

...good luck! I had none with mine :( Still trying to figure out what was wrong...don't want to get more if I can't provide them with the right environment...

I'll see if I can post a pic later. He seems to have a pretty chubby belly (not abnormally so), so I'm wondering what exactly he's eating. I watched the tank at low light for a bit today and the guy didn't budge from his favorite spot in the center cave.

Fishguy2727
03-16-2007, 02:36 AM
They will eat brown algae, but they are small so sometimes they need more time or more numbers working on the job. Try some more, it won't hurt.

Lady Hobbs
03-16-2007, 11:00 AM
I feel that way about my corey cats. What do they DO exactly? I've never seen them do anything but sleep. They don't even hide. Just lay down in the center of the tank and never move all day.

KneeKickLou
03-16-2007, 12:07 PM
Did those work for brown algae or green algae??

Lady Hobbs
03-16-2007, 12:29 PM
http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/algae.htm

This may give a reason for algae to start with.

Fishguy2727
03-16-2007, 12:46 PM
I think it is much better to find a natural cure for algae, not a chemical cure. A fish that will always eat the algae will always do it for you for less time and money than any other method. They will also give you another neat fish in your tank. There are two things that algae need light and nutrients. The light should be on for 12-14 hours. The nutrients should be kept down with adequate water changes. So unless your water supply is bringing in high nitrates or phosphates, that will help too.

jeffs99dime
03-16-2007, 01:55 PM
I think it is much better to find a natural cure for algae, not a chemical cure. A fish that will always eat the algae will always do it for you for less time and money than any other method. They will also give you another neat fish in your tank. There are two things that algae need light and nutrients. The light should be on for 12-14 hours. The nutrients should be kept down with adequate water changes. So unless your water supply is bringing in high nitrates or phosphates, that will help too.

reptileguy is right! try finding a natural cure for algae in the tank. personally i'm completely against using chemicals.

bettaboy691
03-16-2007, 03:59 PM
i would suggest buying a few more ottos, they add very little to the bio load, and the more you have, the happier they will be as they are shoaling fish, plus you will probally notice the brown algea going quicker, i added 4 into my 15 gallon covered in brown algea, with in a week or so, it had all but gone.after that, i now feed algea wafers, and the ottos also like the leftovers, and the veg i sometimes feed, even tho they do have to compeat with my cories, lol

Chrona
03-16-2007, 09:47 PM
i would suggest buying a few more ottos, they add very little to the bio load, and the more you have, the happier they will be as they are shoaling fish, plus you will probally notice the brown algea going quicker, i added 4 into my 15 gallon covered in brown algea, with in a week or so, it had all but gone.after that, i now feed algea wafers, and the ottos also like the leftovers, and the veg i sometimes feed, even tho they do have to compeat with my cories, lol

Sounds good, I will get some more otos. My 10g is already pretty overstocked but oh well. I guess I'll give the molly fry away pretty soon :rolleyes:

Mark Lathrop
05-22-2007, 10:36 PM
Just wanted to make sure, since that line of thinking made me get more cardinal tetras in the hope that they would school. Instead, I now have 5 non-schooling cardinals that bicker instead of 3 :rolleyes:

An interesting question as I only have 1 oto as well. Well, I had two, but one died from being too shocked on the move from the store. The lady netting my fish at petsmart had him out of water for nearly 2 minutes and he never recovered and died a day later. I haven't bought the surviving oto a friend yet, but even when there was 2 in there, they never really swam together, and my lone oto is really fat and healthy and poops alot. And my tank is real clean.

NeonJulie
05-22-2007, 11:05 PM
They don't do it all the time, but at least a third of the time, I can find my pair paired up together, or swimming side by side/tail by tail. I have to imagine they do appreciate some companionship. Besides... why wouldn't you want another of the cuties. :D

My first batch of 3 were almost inseparable.

Mark Lathrop
05-23-2007, 06:11 AM
I think the only thing holding me back is that there is only enough algae in the tank to sustain 1 oto. And when I put a spinach leaf in there, he can devour the entire leaf in 2 days. It's insane. Feeding another oto would require an entire crop of spinach!

I'll probably get another when I get my 20g tank going next month. You're right, they are cool little guys.thumbs2:

SkarloeysMom
06-03-2007, 10:06 PM
I was not a fan of oto cats because they are so noctural. I never saw mine doing anything but they seemed to be plenty well fed. I used the sinking waffers a couple times a week to make sure they were getting enough to eat.

Oh and I only ever had 2 but I think they need to be at least 3 and maybe they'd be more active.

Rue
06-03-2007, 11:40 PM
...my one surviving oto (of 8) is doing just fine...

...wonder if it's time to try some more?