PDA

View Full Version : preparing veggies for my plecos

frank_zappa
06-09-2009, 11:27 PM
how long do i boil a piece of zucchini before giving it to my bn's? what are some other thing i can feed them. ive heard green beans, spinach, cucumber.

Northernguy
06-09-2009, 11:47 PM
I just peel it and stick a fork in it and place it in the tank.
The only thing I blanch is frozen peas!
If you boil it,it will fall apart in the water.

frank_zappa
06-10-2009, 12:34 AM
oh, good. so, they are able to chew it up. i thought the boiling was to soften it up a bit for them.

toddnbecka
06-10-2009, 03:46 AM
Canned green beans (right out of the can) also disappear quite quickly in my tanks. Personally, I'd much rather feed them to the fish than eat them myself. I pefer frozen veggies over canned.

Gayle
06-10-2009, 04:05 AM
Zuchinni, cucumber, peas, romaine, spinach, greenbeans, bloodworms, brine shrimp, krill, fry food, algae...................

My pleco likes zuchinni, peas, romaine, bloodworms, krill, and fry food best!!

Jacko
06-10-2009, 04:10 AM
Plecos are versatile little fish, you can feed them anything from raw apples to little bits of beefheart depending one what kind you have. The problem with feeding them "human food" is that you have to be very careful they eat every last peice or it can foul the water something fierce.

I personally microwave my frozen zuchini (when it's in season I feed it fresh) in a little glass bowl full of water till it's thawed, seems enough for my bn.

Crispy
06-10-2009, 09:44 AM
try cantaloupe... it's my plecos favorite and is already soft enough to be eaten.
same with watermelon.

*I do blanch the harder cucumber and zucchini for a couple of minutes...

Hailey
06-10-2009, 09:50 PM
well I just cut a piece, put it in a cup with water, microwave it for about a minute, then its usually soft enough, and will sink.

frank_zappa
06-17-2009, 04:19 AM
i think that he enjoyed it!

Gayle
06-17-2009, 04:23 AM
LOL It looks like he did!!!! Great pic!!!

Dave66
06-17-2009, 05:08 AM
Good for you, Zappa, since he discovered it was 'food' right away. Nice pictures, by the way.

Where are the Mothers of Invention?

Dave

MonkeyPox
06-17-2009, 05:10 AM
Really nice pictures!

Northernguy
06-17-2009, 05:15 AM
WooHoo! Another happy pleco!
Did any other fish get a bite?lol

frank_zappa
06-17-2009, 01:56 PM
thanks everybody....many of the fish got little bits of that zucchini. it was not just that one bn. im sure the larger bn got some overnight, and the tiger barbs and nyetes loved it as well. it was mostly skin by the morning, as you can see.

i tried a piece of banana another night but it was ignored, and i took it out after maybe 20 minutes because i could see it was sortve dissolving and would end up making a mess. they did not seem to go for spinach. i think i will try cantaloupe over the wknd.

im happy to see zappa fans coming out of the woodwork.