PDA

View Full Version : Unsure where to begin

metallspuerhunde
06-09-2009, 03:23 AM
Ok, well my grandmother is currently in the process of finishing up a pond installation.:19: It is one of those kits, I am guessing in the 500 gallon range, with the deepest point 2.5-3 feet. She asked me to do some research, so...here I am, supplementing internet searches with this great forum. :D

I'm pretty sure it has a pump, not sure about a filter. What kind would be appropriate for this size pond? (I'll know whether or not she has one tomorrow, in any event). Is the cycle process the same as the one you do in your tank? Would putting a bunch of plants in there help? And what sort of goldfish can be put in here, safely, and how many? Are koi too large a fish for something this size?

Thanks for helping answer my Q's in advance, I'm sure to have more of them as I am updated on the particulars of her pond.

Crispy
06-09-2009, 05:12 PM
I setup a similarly sized pond at my dads place a bit ago and it was pretty easy. We used a small pool pump for it. Has a bit of biological media in the housing. But most of the filtration will come from plants and water changes. There are only 5 small koi currently in the pond and all are doing well. We did not cycle, only dechlorinated.

smaug
06-13-2009, 12:55 PM
Ok, well my grandmother is currently in the process of finishing up a pond installation.:19: It is one of those kits, I am guessing in the 500 gallon range, with the deepest point 2.5-3 feet. She asked me to do some research, so...here I am, supplementing internet searches with this great forum. :D

I'm pretty sure it has a pump, not sure about a filter. What kind would be appropriate for this size pond? (I'll know whether or not she has one tomorrow, in any event). Is the cycle process the same as the one you do in your tank? Would putting a bunch of plants in there help? And what sort of goldfish can be put in here, safely, and how many? Are koi too large a fish for something this size?

Thanks for helping answer my Q's in advance, I'm sure to have more of them as I am updated on the particulars of her pond.
Sorry I didnt see this sooner.For a pump it should be 1000 gph and the filter/biofilter should be rated at least for 1000 gal as well.The most inportant part of filtration for a pond is the bio part.Make sure you have at least 2 gal worth of room room for biomedia of some sort,lava rocks are the best.The cycling works the same in a pond as it does in a tank but being the fish are normally messier and the fact that it is outdoors in the heat makes it worse.Add only 6 small comets at first.The pond is on the small side for koi but of she has a place to give them after they get over a foot long it can be done.They will rach that size in about 2 yrs maybe less if you are in a warm part of the country.Your best bet is to not stock koi.Plants help with water quality and the best ones for that are floaters,the trouble with that is that goldys and kopi consider that stuff to be food.Hyacynth and water lettuce do a great job cleaning the water column but there roots are prime eating for pond fish.You could stock it with smaller fish such as rosy red feeders.I just put 25 of them in my big pond,they school up and eat mosquito eggs and suck.If you are in the southern part of the country,mollys will do well also.