PDA

View Full Version : Acro ID please!

Miltonic
06-09-2009, 02:55 AM
I recently won this frag at a frag swap I went to got the name but completely forgot lol so now I need your help, here's a picture of the acro in question.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q134/miltonic/100_2571.jpg

Northernguy
06-09-2009, 02:57 AM
What an amazing pic!
It almost looks like its on the moon or something!thumbs2:
I wish I could help with a name.

Miltonic
06-09-2009, 03:05 AM
Thanks and omg yes it does! just that the square thing its glued on to kind of ruins it. The snail above and the black background kind of give the illusion of a night sky too. Hopefully one of the coral experts will chime in and help me out.

unleashed
06-09-2009, 06:01 AM
Very nice indeed.

However, many people do not understand that nearly all species of Acropora are nearly indistinguishable from each other. IDing an Acropora, along with many species of coral, is very very hard.

Goodbye
06-09-2009, 06:04 AM
Cool Pic! That square thing looks like a bar of soap!

Miltonic
06-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Very nice indeed.

However, many people do not understand that nearly all species of Acropora are nearly indistinguishable from each other. IDing an Acropora, along with many species of coral, is very very hard.

Thanks and I guess it would be trying to find he exact same one would take forever, all I have left to do is wait till the next frag swap and find the guy I got it from and ask him the name again. lol

unleashed
06-09-2009, 09:31 PM
You could do that, but it not a guarantee that you will get the correct scientific name.

For example, it may have been sold to him as Acropora xxxxx because it was exported from the tropics as such. Whereas in reality, it is Acropora yyyyy if you know what I mean.

Miltonic
06-10-2009, 03:23 AM
yeah I understand, I also got a clue from somebody else that it looks like some type of Valida and it does ring a bell from what I remember the guy telling me.